Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Young couple looking for help !!!!

onesickgame

My name is Bobby and My wifes name is Karen. I am 27 years old she is 21. We are looking for a good workout program to start out. Were both looking to put on some extra muscle especially me. I am 6'4" 145 and looking to add 80-100 pounds on over time. She is 5'7" 110 and looking to add 20 pounds of muscle and staying toned. We have a ymca membership with a full gym/cardio, we will be working out together at all times. Will that make a difference or do i just need to add more weight and her stay at a lower amount? We were both pretty active when we were younger and not totally clueless about working out so we need something a little better than basic stuff. Time is no issue/money for supplements. We both played sports in school. The nutritional part we are clueless about so any help there to get us started would be much appreciated. Any supplements to get us started? Thanks alot.

welcome to ef...
80-100 lbs of muscle is possible... but realise this could take a few, if not 5+ years depending on how hard and consistent you work... diet being the main key...
you are going to want to consume 2 grams of protein per lb. of your own bodyweight... so for now you will need about 300g protein daily, increasing as you grow... be sure to get plenty of other foods, and dont rely on supplements and protein shakes as meals, real food is so much better... visit the diet forum to learn more there, and you will have to use some trial and error because everyone is different, but at your size, i would assume you need to start eating quite a bit more...
as far as your wifes diet, 20lbs is a lot of muscle for a woman to gain, and it will take time too... have her check out the women's forum for better advice there, but she can reach that goal, i have no doubt...
for lifting advice, check out the Training Vault 'sticky' above... either the 5/3/1 or 5x5 are the best routines you could possibly do... you can both work out together, and your wife should make every effort to get strong and keep up with you... i work out with my wife once or twice a week... we use seperate equipment because i am a LOT stronger than her, and it gives her lots of motivation when we bench side by side, spot eachother, help eachother load plates etc...
dont let her be afraid to lift heavy... the muscle gained from heavy lifting is dense and stays... hard work pays off in the long run...
after you read the training vault and find a program you are ready to try, if you have more questions post them up in a new thread and we will help if we can... we are good at solving problems... direct your diet questions to the appropriate forum, you will get better help there, just be patient, somtimes questions dont get answered immediately, but someone will have an answer, this is a great site for helping others...

I think lifting together is wonderful for a couple. Me and my husband started 10 years ago and we love it. I would caution against throwing her to the wolves too quickly. She can lift heavy, but don't load her up in the beginning. I've seen too many boyfriends trying to make their girl max on the bench with weight she can barely lift. Find out what exercises she likes and dislikes. (Women will workout with men, but we can be turned off quickly if we are forced to do everything the man wants to do) Then make a workout that pushes her but doesn't turn her off. Me and my husband do the same workout but you can still workout together without doing the exact same thing. I would keep her reps in the 10-15 range to start off with. If she likes it (I fell in love with lifting) then you won't have a problem motivating her to lift heavier. Ten years ago I would squat 65-85lbs for 10 reps. Today I do 185lbs for 8-10 reps.

Rebecca D

Should we be taking any pre workout drinks like Jacked or No explode? Seems like i lose my appetite after taking the NO explode but i really like the pump and energy it gives me.

if it kills your appetite, definately no... eating is more important...
starting out without supplements gives you somewhere to go... but that is up to you if you reeealy need it to get going...
also a massive pump isnt the 'be all end all' for muscle growth... the food you take in, and time spent resting is when you grow...

Top Bottom