Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

is there a problem with hiring a second personal trainer?

jacksprat

Hi,

I'm very new to this and have a few questions, today about my trainer and trainer etiquette.

I decided to take some money I inherited and use it to improve myself this summer. I'm 45, a smoker, a proud nerd. I'm active but not at all comfortable playing sports or working out. To that end, I hired a personal trainer at a local gym.

It's been just over two weeks now, and of course I haven't seen much as far as results go even though I'm meeting with him five days a week (in theory), but it's only been two weeks. That is not my issue.

So what is my issue? Well...

Sometimes he's a couple minutes late - not the worst thing.

A couple of times he's walked away to take care of other customers before finishing with me, leaving me waiting on the floor wondering what to do next.

If he has me on the treadmill or elliptical, then he's definitely wandering around visiting, usually with the ladies.

If I come in early to warm up, then he finishes the workout early, even though the warm up had nothing to do with him and took none of his attention or time.

When he's into my workout, he's fully into my workout and me, but seems easily distracted, and I'm getting no follow up.

No texts at night, asking if I'm doing thing right. No instructions for off days. etc. No clear diet instructions except a short lecture about macros.

Finally, won't meet on my schedule, only on his. For example, we can't meet tomorrow because he doesn't start until 11 and wants to leave by 2.

I have paid him for 36 sessions and meet with him 5 or six days a week. This week 4.

Am I expecting too much? Is this normal? Remember I walked into my first gym sixteen days ago.

I was peeved that not only would he not meet with me at an abnormal time, before I could think things through, he gave my original appointment time away to someone else. So, I've hired another personal trainer to have as a back up.

Am I being uncool by doing this? I only have a limited number of days before my life becomes so busy training with a pt will become impossible and I want to take advantage of every training day available.

Please advise.

No you're not asking too much. As a personal trainer when I'm with a client there's no one else in the gym, it's just us and if Someone tries to talk to me I tell them to come back when I'm done. If I were you I'd fire him and demand my money back. Did you file a contract with the gym when you started or is he free lance?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure I'm ready to fire him, but now I know it won't be unreasonable to have a talk with him about needing all his attention for the full hour.

Honestly, I set it up so that he would get his payments in thirds so that I would have the option to change trainers. I'm paying cash so there's very little paperwork and no credit card, even though it is with a major gym. I have two weeks left for this portion and I'm willing to continue giving him the chance to earn my money, but now he'll be competing with the new guy.

What should I tell the new guy?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure I'm ready to fire him, but now I know it won't be unreasonable to have a talk with him about needing all his attention for the full hour.

Honestly, I set it up so that he would get his payments in thirds so that I would have the option to change trainers. I'm paying cash so there's very little paperwork and no credit card, even though it is with a major gym. I have two weeks left for this portion and I'm willing to continue giving him the chance to earn my money, but now he'll be competing with the new guy.

What should I tell the new guy?

I wouldn't get a new one just yet. It will cause conflict and hostility. It's like a child at home "well mom said I can do this" and play each parent against the other. Not saying that's what you will do but each one is gonna have different styles of training and some of their Info is gonna go against the other at some point.

Just tell the one you have now about your concerns and let him know what you expect of him and if he had an attitude about it then its time for you to pull the plug cause he's not doing you any good.

I bug the shit out of my clients. I make them fill out food logs, I call or text three times a day or more to see what they ate and how they're feeling. Being a PT is just my hobby for my off time, I already work 12 hour shifts as a patrol officer and still find time for my own workouts, logs and my clients so he has no excuse.

I'm glad to hear that you bug the shit out of your clients, that's what I was expecting from a trainer - especially if I'm willing to pay for 6 days a week. I was starting to feel like a needy girlfriend - "He never texts me..."

I will try and find a way to discuss my concerns with the trainer I have now, but I have anger issues and it's pretty hard for me to stay calm when I get riled up. Even when I'm making an effort to stay level headed.

As for hiring the new trainer, it's too late. I have an appointment with him tomorrow at 4. Right now the plan is be up front with him and let him know that he's my back up, or even my regular Saturday guy, but that we should follow the primary trainer's plan (Leg day, etc.) However, if I like his style more, I'm not afraid to jump ship.

I do not want to create a hostile situation between me and the original trainer or between the two of them. They work at different gyms and so I'm hoping there won't be any personal conflict. I surely hope that I won't try to play them against each other, that is not my intention.

New trainer was a bust. I've never seen anyone with such dilated pupils! Woo! Not sure what he was on, but I definitely did not get a good vibe from him. I'm starting to appreciate what I've got...

New trainer was a bust. I've never seen anyone with such dilated pupils! Woo! Not sure what he was on, but I definitely did not get a good vibe from him. I'm starting to appreciate what I've got...

Lmao that's funny. Where you at?

I'm in Texas.

I'm still at it. I took a week off for a vacation after my last post and am back with my original trainer since then. 5 workouts last week, 2 so far this week. I thought through some of the stuff I was complaining about and made it ok in my head, and talked with him about the stuff I couldn't. Since then things have been great - until today....

I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but he mentioned that I may never be able to have a flat belly because of my age (45). I'm not even sure it was a direct statement, but that's what I got from it and now I'm feeling hopeless.

All I fucking want is a flat belly, the rest is just gravy. My arms are looking awesome, my legs and ass are filling out. Chest and back still need work, but the freaking belly is killing me.

Tell me he's full of shit, please, and that this old man can exercise his way to a flat midsection.

Hes full of of it. If you train hard, eat right and rest you will not have a "flat belly" think abs bro. Even at 45 having a low body fat is very achievable. Whats your current hieght, wieght and bf%?

Sent from my PC36100 using EliteFitness

Thanks, that's what I was needing to hear right now - and every day. Even if it's a lie.

I'm about 5'11, and weigh just under 150 pounds now. body fat is hovering between 17 and 18.

So both skinny and soft.

When I started in mid June I was at 145 and 20% bf.

My goals are 165 and about 10% or less bf.

I was addicted to soda and only finally kicked the habit (I hope) a week ago.

I'm taking in 2700 calories a day 50/25/25 and working out 6 days a week, 4 strength, 2 cardio.

Pictures are when I started (with fur) and today.

Top Bottom