Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Straight Bar V.s. Dumbells. Is One Better Than Another

punch

We have heard this debate go on and on within these boards, so, in an effort to clear the air I will say that there is no real answer but many differences.

Fact: Straight bars limit your range of motion. This is not necessarily a bad thing. If one is looking for a power movement( explosive lifts) a straight bar is ideal. Most can handle considerably more wieght with a straight bar for the simple reason that its easier to control. Additionally, straight bar use does not work all stabilizer muscles. Stabilizer muscles when worked and built up actually aid in the handling of heavier poundages and reduce the possibilities of injury. For these reasons, straight bar use can limit the shaping of a muscle to its fullest potential.

Fact: Dumbells push your muscles past their normal range of motion. Why is this important? Well, if you take dumbell inclines presses for example, you are capable of stretching the muscle to a much greater degree than if the straight bar is used. By stretching the muscle in this fashion you are working the area in a more efficient manner by utilizing the whole pectoral and taking out other muscles which may aid in a press. This "ISOLATION" will go along way in "SHAPING" the chest while building mass at the same time. Additionally, the fact that one has to hold a heavy dumbell with one hand and no assistance from the other hand leads to stabilizer muscle growth. Do you all remember when you first started using dumbells? Well I do, and when I started training at age 16(I'm now 30) I shook all over the place. But within a short period of time I was able to hoist that wieght up like I was doing straight bar presses. This is a classic example of stabilizer strength, without it, your presses WILL SUFFER!!

Bottom line guys, is that both straight bar and dumbells have there place in bodybuilding. To achieve real muscular developement one needs to employ both concepts. Varirty is what makes this sport so much fun because regardless of which you choose as long as your tearing muscle tissue and repairing it YOU WILL GROW!!! LOL

"The other day a woman came up to me and said,"I'd really love to touch your body",my reply,"I dont blame you!".

Top Bottom