x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

New guy! Need your thoughts!

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about New guy! Need your thoughts! within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: This is my first post, so Iíll start out with some info about me. Iím 27 years old, 6í2íí, and about 206 pounds (recently down from 218ówatched my diet and lost 12 pounds since January). I just started getting into lifting so I donít really have a good idea of what Iím doing. My mother-in-law used to be a competition body builder so sheís my trainer (kind of embarrassing to have your mother-in-law train you, but hey, itís free). She has me on a 3 day split right now. The workout is as follows:

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New guy! Need your thoughts!

This is my first post, so Iíll start out with some info about me. Iím 27 years old, 6í2íí, and about 206 pounds (recently down from 218ówatched my diet and lost 12 pounds since January). I just started getting into lifting so I donít really have a good idea of what Iím doing. My mother-in-law used to be a competition body builder so sheís my trainer (kind of embarrassing to have your mother-in-law train you, but hey, itís free). She has me on a 3 day split right now. The workout is as follows:

Day 1:
    Chest
    -Bench
    -Incline DB Raise
    -DB Flyes
    Back
    -Lat Pull Down
    -Seated Cable Rows
    -DB Row
    Day 2:
    Legs:
    -Squats
    -Leg Extensions
    -Leg Curls
    Abs:
    -P90X Ab Ripper
    Day 3:
    Shoulders:
    -Shoulder Press
    -Arnold Press
    -Lateral Raise
    -Seated Bent Over Lateral Raise
    Biceps:
    -Barbell Curl
    -Incline Hanging DB Curl
    Triceps:
    -Dips
    -DB Kickbacks
    Day 4:
    Off

Today I will start my 5th rotation of this split and have noticed some strength gains, but havenít noticed any weight loss. I continue to watch what I eat. Typically I eat oatmeal, a banana, and maybe a Chobani greek yogurt for breakfast. Morning snack is 2 hard boiled eggs and a chobani greek yogurt. Lunch is typically a meat wrap (usually chicken) with lots of vegetables in it and an apple on the side. Dinner varies, but is some kind of meat with at least a vegetable. I also have a protein shake after my workout that is mixed with frozen berries. I drink about 100 ounces of water a day.

I would like to continue to lose weight, although I donít really have a lot to lose. Iím going to start doing some cardio after some of my workouts and probably on day 4 as well. All that I have available is an elliptical machine, which I am not too fond of. Iíve read jump rope is supposed to kick you in the rear so I will probably start there and incorporate cycling when the weather gets nice. Any other suggestions?

Iíve just started to read about all the different supplements that are out there as well as some of the crazy diets that some people have listed. Thereís definitely a lot to learn about the science of the diet.

I normally work out after work around 4 Ė 5 pm. Since I would like to continue to lose weight should I only take whey once a day after my workout? Iím trying to eat as few calories as possible to get rid of some belly fat, but I would also like muscle gains and quick recovery. I know it changes from person to person, but you guys are the experts so thatís why Iím asking!

I would also like some recommendations on preworkout ďenergyĒ type supplements. Iíve never taken any kind of energy drink, and donít want to consume a lot of caffeine, especially because I normally go to bed around 9:00 (have to wake up at 4:30) and donít want anything to keep me from sleeping. Thanks for your help!

Good Broly

Re: New guy! Need your thoughts!

try to actually calculate your calories for the day, grams of carbs/protein/fats. That way you know exactly how many cals you are eating and why you arent losing weight. Shoot for 2500-2800 cals a day at like 40%pro and carbs and 20%fat. A good preworkout drink is maximize V2 or jack3d or flashover. They all at .com for dirtcheap, also they sell protein really cheap too. No, protein will not make you fat, carbs and fats will so more protein the better. Really you should shoot for 50%pro 30%carbs 20% fat to lose weight faster at 2500ish cals.

Good Broly

300 grams pro... 150-200 grams carbs.... Under 55 grams fat....

Wasting your time on a lot of those exercises. Go to jasonferruggia.com and start reading. You need to add some pulls/chins and deadlifts to your routine. Do push up variations and get rid of the tricep kick backs please for gods sake.

For triceps i like to do skull crushers, weighted dips, and close grip bench press.

Amateur Bodybuilder packers6211's Avatar

I've struggled for a long part of my life with trying to lose the weight. I use to do high reps, low reps, burn outs. Never really staying with a routine or being in and out of the gym ended up messing me up. I finally decided to stay with it and have noticed a big change. Everyone's body is different. However I fully believe all should def keep up with protein, fats, and carbs making sure to keep a good balance. I've gone from 291- 245 and still a ways to go. There are several supps out there, but I learned quickly diet and training comes first. For me the basic are always Whey protein, vitamins, creatine, and ammino's. Check out .com They have some really good sales on fat loss stacks, mass gainers, and all your basics. I just did an APS log and mesomorph was the best pre-workout supp I have ever taken. Gives you a boost without the crash. Good luck bro and hope you get your goals.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check into the suggestions and come up with something.

Amateur Bodybuilder packers6211's Avatar

No problem bro that's what were all here for. I'm still learning as well. These forums introduce me to the new supps, and lot of knowledge. Orbit Nutrition has ton of products and info. Good luck

Protein shake , to reduce weight . . . ???
    That makes a question sign in my mind , is that possible as t hey are to gain weight not to reduce it .
    chino hills boot camp
    Last edited by D.Edward; 12-Mar-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Banned

i would reccommend a 50/30/20 diet... protein/fat/carbs...