Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hypothetical: How much can a gorilla lift on the big 3?

Gorillas are nothing impressive. I start every day by deadlifting oak trees in my yard, doing some solid standing OHPs with my car, then eating knives. I'll be damned if I can't throw another man across Times Square, what, with the power I've got.

I was actually within 2 feet of our Zoo's large silverback a few weeks ago (thank God for glass). Having never been anywhere near this close and having a straight glass wall we got to check each other out for 3-4 minutes while he ate his letus and watched us (we were pressed right up against the glass, so cool). They are intimidating to say the least, probably 600lbs I'd think but I don't really know gorialla weight well enough to judge. Skull is an odd shape and much larger than I'd have thought, frontal brow/ridge is weird and looks like neaderthal (spell?) accentuated. Arms are long and legs are short - massive thickness, probably a hell of a squatter and deadlifter but mechanically disadvantaged on the bench due to arm length - not weak though (sort of like Ed Coan - if he had a weakness it's bench). Going by gut feel, I'd think 1000lbs would be nothing for him to pull, could probably do closer to 2K who knows maybe a lot more. Squat and bench weights are too hard to judge, I'd have to know what federation he'd be competing in and if someone could fit him for a shirt and suit in time (couldn't resist :))

Also, we were about 15 ft. from the large Kodiac that they estimate at 1500lbs (he's afraid of the scale and clings to the bars so they haven't been able to weight him properly). Epic day for me and my son at the zoo. Gorilla did scare him into wanting to be held by daddy pretty quickly (he's almost 2). Of course I didn't mention to him that daddy might as well be a svelt 115 lbs boy if that silverback got loose because there's nothing outside of an act of God that I could do to stop it.

Madcow2 said:
I was actually within 2 feet of our Zoo's large silverback a few weeks ago (thank God for glass). Having never been anywhere near this close and having a straight glass wall we got to check each other out for 3-4 minutes while he ate his letus and watched us (we were pressed right up against the glass, so cool). They are intimidating to say the least, probably 600lbs I'd think but I don't really know gorialla weight well enough to judge. Skull is an odd shape and much larger than I'd have thought, frontal brow/ridge is weird and looks like neaderthal (spell?) accentuated. Arms are long and legs are short - massive thickness, probably a hell of a squatter and deadlifter but mechanically disadvantaged on the bench due to arm length - not weak though (sort of like Ed Coan - if he had a weakness it's bench). Going by gut feel, I'd think 1000lbs would be nothing for him to pull, could probably do closer to 2K who knows maybe a lot more. Squat and bench weights are too hard to judge, I'd have to know what federation he'd be competing in and if someone could fit him for a shirt and suit in time (couldn't resist :))

Also, we were about 15 ft. from the large Kodiac that they estimate at 1500lbs (he's afraid of the scale and clings to the bars so they haven't been able to weight him properly). Epic day for me and my son at the zoo. Gorilla did scare him into wanting to be held by daddy pretty quickly (he's almost 2). Of course I didn't mention to him that daddy might as well be a svelt 115 lbs boy if that silverback got loose because there's nothing outside of an act of God that I could do to stop it.

Got to see one rush the glass, like he saw us on the other side, freaked everyone on the other side out.

No doubts in my mind; they can make things move.

Madcow2 said:

How tall was this thing roughly???

It's interesting because Siff has a few paragraphs on gorillas in his Facts and Fallicies book: They are very gentle creatures, which he observed in the context of testosterone (lucky, I remember that kid falling in the gorilla pit at some zoo awhile back). Secondly, they are able to develop their massive strength and hypertrophy on a diet of only fruit, nuts and veggies. And lastly, superficially they do very little resistance 'exercise', except for propelling themselves through trees on occasion.

He really just makes these statements as food for thought, and how scientists still may have a lot to learn when it comes to strength and hypetrophy. For example he says 'great apes do not often operate in a state of fatigue and they still manage to develop muscle size and strength...'

Jim, I just ordered that book yesterday. I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. Another $40 thrown to these training books. It's the most entertaining thing for me to read.

Any others you can recommend? I like things with very practical information that coincides with what we know and learn here - i.e., if the book has anything discussing parallel squats and how they should be used, or discredits full squatting, or calls for flies or machine work, I'll burn it. I know the Bigger, Faster, Stronger book recommends parallel squats. I stopped reading once I saw their sample program.

Starting Strength, The Strongest Shall Survive (a bit outdated, but still some good points), Core Performance (parts I like; parts I don't), Practical Periodization (when it comes out), Facts & Fallacies... I fall short here. What was that book Tudor Bompa wrote? And can you sift through some other good ones for me? I know there are tons by credible authors, but if ya' could - what's the cream of the crop, then what's second-rate, but still good?

:FRlol: I write too much. Thanks.

Supertraining is Siff's big one. Maybe the best book on training available - certainly considered as such by many many people.

Bompa has some good periodization books.

To be honest, if you are looking for something really great - buy Supertraining.

Some others I believe are available at www.elitefts.com or the Dynamic Eleiko site's Sportivny Press section (which I think sells products through elitefts anyway):
Science and Practice of Strength Training
A System of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting
Fundmentals of Special Strength Training in Sport
Managing the Training of Weightlifters

Top Bottom