Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to squat for HUGE ARMS

Actually gymnasts, boxers and wrestlers don't have better legs than many guys on this board.

Most male gymnasts legs are a joke. They look pretty good and they are decently muscled, but their legs aren't large and typically their calf development isn't that impressive.

Boxers legs are a joke. Pretty much distance running and rope skipping. Rope skipping being the superior for it's calf building benefits.

Wrestlers. There are quite a few wrestler's with excellent legs because wrestling is all about the legs and hips for power. In addition many lift weights and do squats/cleans which helps build the legs/glutes/hams.

I thought this thread was about how working mass movements for you legs got you a bigger upper body?

All the above athletes built there upper bodies having never done squats. Mike Tyson thighs, in his heyday are bigger than 9-10ths of the people on here (so was his neck). Dan Gable, arguably one of the best wrestlers of all time, never did a squat, or a clean in his life. I wrestled D-1 Ohio and never did squats or cleans near season. These are movement that make you gain weight in all the wrong places which is a no,no when your cutting 10-15 per week to make weight. Do you think world class sprinters build massive legs by only lifting weights? No, they sprint. These are just a few example of ways people have built massive legs doing something other that gym rat stuff.

Not to mention if boxers and gymnast have as bad leg development as you claim, then how did they sculpt such awesome upper bodies?

imo, i'd rather build my legs by squating rather than sprinting 5 miles a day. I guess you could do that, but there's a reason not all of those aformentioned athletes have proportionality. you said yourself, boxers have good upper bodys, sprinters and wrestlers have good lower bodys. its because thats what they use for training in their sport. how many of them have both though? the genetically gifted maybe, but thats about it. lifting weights is the only way for most people to get that.

I thought this thread was about how working mass movements for you legs got you a bigger upper body?

All the above athletes built there upper bodies having never done squats. Mike Tyson thighs, in his heyday are bigger than 9-10ths of the people on here (so was his neck). Dan Gable, arguably one of the best wrestlers of all time, never did a squat, or a clean in his life. I wrestled D-1 Ohio and never did squats or cleans near season. These are movement that make you gain weight in all the wrong places which is a no,no when your cutting 10-15 per week to make weight. Do you think world class sprinters build massive legs by only lifting weights? No, they sprint. These are just a few example of ways people have built massive legs doing something other that gym rat stuff.

Not to mention if boxers and gymnast have as bad leg development as you claim, then how did they sculpt such awesome upper bodies?

wow I wrestled and most of the guys were puny motherfuckers. Even the bigger coaches were still not "well developed" per say. Wrestlers in general as you say yourself DO NOT have the build that people here are looking for. This thread as you see is about getting huge arms....not about cutting weight for a match. And for your reference Dan Gable did tons of lifting in his time.

combat conditioning by matt furey - SFUK Reviews

Scroll down the page a little to see a pic of him lifting. Your "assumption" that he never squatted and cleaning in HIS LIFE is the stupidest bullshit I have ever heard

You seem to equate decent muscular development with fairly low bodyfat as awesome development in the upper body.

I do not. I don't know if you realize this or not, but first off many of these athletes are genetically above average so pointing out specific athletes as examples doesn't prove much. For each of these athletes there are 10x as many that aren't as physically well developed or impressive looking.

Dan Gable looked good because he was lean and well proportioned. His legs were not particularly impressive in size or development nor was his actual muscular development particularly impressive. He worked his ass off, was aggressive and his coach even said he was the most god-given skilled wrestler he had ever seen.

Mike Tyson was a brick. Genetically he is a classic mesomorph with above average thigh structure. I am similarly built and my legs have always been above average. Doesn't mean squats don't make great legs even better.

You should note that earlier in Mike's career his legs were smaller and his coach did not want him lifting weights and that mid-way through his career he lifted and did SQUAT. This is a fact.

Most sprinters do intensive leg training in addition to their sprints. There often comes a time where you cannot get bigger or faster unless you significantly increase the strength of the muscles. I'd be you money almost all elite level sprinters do squats and specific leg training. I have seen videos of sprinters doing full squats with +300-400 pounds so there is often more to the size of their legs and glutes than just sprinting itself.

The point is that you can develop a good upper body without "specific" leg training, but hard leg work I believe and many other's have believed over the years that it will speed up upper body gains in size and strength and I whole heartedly agree with this.

I also believe that the "majority" of lifter's that are not genetically gifted will have much greater success in gaining the size and strength they want by devoting equal time to leg development vs. those who don't.

There are millions of men in the world that train that never surpass intermediate level in size/strength because they don't train the legs hard enough. For a great percentage of the population your body is not going to want to get "too" big without having balance elsewhere.

We have all seen the guy that has incredible natural leg development and average upper body or upper arms that are way out of proportion to the rest of their body. Some guys literally have excellent upper body genetics and stick legs.

Squats are the most result producing exercise period. If you can legitimately squat then there is no reason not to do so unless you are a bodybuilder and already have well developed glutes and you are worried about over-development throwing them out of proportion.

You are selling yourself short if you don't squat.

You seem to equate decent muscular development with fairly low bodyfat as awesome development in the upper body.

I do not. I don't know if you realize this or not, but first off many of these athletes are genetically above average so pointing out specific athletes as examples doesn't prove much. For each of these athletes there are 10x as many that aren't as physically well developed or impressive looking.

Dan Gable looked good because he was lean and well proportioned. His legs were not particularly impressive in size or development nor was his actual muscular development particularly impressive. He worked his ass off, was aggressive and his coach even said he was the most god-given skilled wrestler he had ever seen.

Mike Tyson was a brick. Genetically he is a classic mesomorph with above average thigh structure. I am similarly built and my legs have always been above average. Doesn't mean squats don't make great legs even better.

You should note that earlier in Mike's career his legs were smaller and his coach did not want him lifting weights and that mid-way through his career he lifted and did SQUAT. This is a fact.

Most sprinters do intensive leg training in addition to their sprints. There often comes a time where you cannot get bigger or faster unless you significantly increase the strength of the muscles. I'd be you money almost all elite level sprinters do squats and specific leg training. I have seen videos of sprinters doing full squats with +300-400 pounds so there is often more to the size of their legs and glutes than just sprinting itself.

The point is that you can develop a good upper body without "specific" leg training, but hard leg work I believe and many other's have believed over the years that it will speed up upper body gains in size and strength and I whole heartedly agree with this.

I also believe that the "majority" of lifter's that are not genetically gifted will have much greater success in gaining the size and strength they want by devoting equal time to leg development vs. those who don't.

There are millions of men in the world that train that never surpass intermediate level in size/strength because they don't train the legs hard enough. For a great percentage of the population your body is not going to want to get "too" big without having balance elsewhere.

We have all seen the guy that has incredible natural leg development and average upper body or upper arms that are way out of proportion to the rest of their body. Some guys literally have excellent upper body genetics and stick legs.

Squats are the most result producing exercise period. If you can legitimately squat then there is no reason not to do so unless you are a bodybuilder and already have well developed glutes and you are worried about over-development throwing them out of proportion.

You are selling yourself short if you don't squat.

All great points. Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson did front squats with 620 lbs over 3 times his bodyweight. But all that leg development was just from the sprinting and steroids....the squats had nothing to do with it:rolleyes:

Most people equate a ripped look of low bodyfat with being "huge."

So true man.

WOWZA! Like that guy is jacked!

I look around and see a guy 5'10"-6' 185-200lbs TOPS with like 10% bodyfat.

I'm like OH really? That's a very respectable build and if the genetics are good they'll look great.

But, that sure as fuck isn't jacked.

I dont know, it may not be the only bus that gets you there. Boxers, wrestlers, gymnast all avoid heavy mass movements like the plague and all have great upper bodies and legs better than many on here.

Just some food for thought.
aint dat the truth! some wickedly big gymnasts out there

wow I wrestled and most of the guys were puny motherfuckers. Even the bigger coaches were still not "well developed" per say. Wrestlers in general as you say yourself DO NOT have the build that people here are looking for. This thread as you see is about getting huge arms....not about cutting weight for a match. And for your reference Dan Gable did tons of lifting in his time.

combat conditioning by matt furey - SFUK Reviews

Scroll down the page a little to see a pic of him lifting. Your "assumption" that he never squatted and cleaning in HIS LIFE is the stupidest bullshit I have ever heard

So because you've got a picture of D.G. doing some curls all the sudden that means hes doing squats and cleans? Dont think so buddy. The wrestling you did in middle school doesn't count as an accurate depiction of the sport. One of the guys I wrestled against in my time, now plays for the New England Patriots, the guy he beat later in the tourney is now the current UFC heavyweight champ. But as you said "they were puny motherfuckers."

So because you've got a picture of D.G. doing some curls all the sudden that means hes doing squats and cleans? Dont think so buddy. The wrestling you did in middle school doesn't count as an accurate depiction of the sport. One of the guys I wrestled against in my time, now plays for the New England Patriots, the guy he beat later in the tourney is now the current UFC heavyweight champ. But as you said "they were puny motherfuckers."

UFC guys in general are not super huge either..except the heavyweight guys. And the wrestling I did was on a very good high school team. I just can't believe your bullshit of saying that you know some guy well enough to say this: "Dan Gable, arguably one of the best wrestlers of all time, never did a squat, or a clean in his life."

How the fuck do you know?

Top Bottom