Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

horror stories benching ?

Did a real dumbass move a number of years back. Was psyched for a good workout and was starting out with just the bar trying to get loose. I came up off the bench really fast, knocking the bar off the supports with my forehead. It crashed to the floor and I'm in a daze , trying to look cool and hoping nobody noticed:p

The spotters job is to keep the lifter safe. Simple as that......so you have to take some responsibility for the accident.

genarr3 said:
I had a guy drop a bar on his face while I was spotting him. I consider it his fault. As a spotter I'm there to help him if he cannot lift it, and assist in racking the bar.

What did this guy do?

He was doing reps<benching> with 225, does about 10 or so, and then literally throws the bar into the upright. It bounces out and lands on his face.

I tried to explain to him that he must make an effort to rack the bar in a controled fashion.
Ok, maybe I was more like WTF!!!!!

He doesn't train with me anymore.

This is hard to explain...but I was benching heavy a few years ago and I heard a slight pop after a VERY strenuous 3-4 rep, no pain though.

I racked the weight and then had some really severe pain in the center of my right pec. I took off my shirt and saw that I had a few muscle fibers that had (I'm guessing here) like dislocated..they had like twisted over each other and I had this fibrous line pooching out across my right pec...

I pushed (massaged) them back in and 'CLIC' the popped right back in and the pain subsided but the memory didn't...

Very sick feeling....

callthedoctor said:
This is hard to explain...but I was benching heavy a few years ago and I heard a slight pop after a VERY strenuous 3-4 rep, no pain though.

I racked the weight and then had some really severe pain in the center of my right pec. I took off my shirt and saw that I had a few muscle fibers that had (I'm guessing here) like dislocated..they had like twisted over each other and I had this fibrous line pooching out across my right pec...

I pushed (massaged) them back in and 'CLIC' the popped right back in and the pain subsided but the memory didn't...

Very sick feeling....

nasty

Mabey it was a riB? haha

I started benching in my basement also and have had the weight fall on my chest probably 3 times now i have pretty strong abs though so i roll it down while being assisted by kinda curling motion so its not to heavy and odesnt bruise then just do a sit up and from that point its easy.

while benching my max with dumbells, i brought the shoulder up too high, heard a "pop". dropped the weights a few inches from my face. luckily, I had only run the bone across the ligament (nothing tore, but still sore for a couple of weeks) but it scared the hell out of me.

I was in the gym about 2 yrs ago doing declines with 225 on a very old decline bench, the kind with no self spotter on it, and on the eighth rep I brought it down and got stuck. It was about 1am so I was the only person in there and I was already so fatigued from my prior training that no matter how long I rested I couldn't get it back up, luckily my friend who owned the gym came in because he forgot something but I had sat there for close to an 45 minutes and I had a bruise across my chest for weeks. I was the laughing stock of the gym for a while.

I was pushing 405 on Bench and about 75% complete with the 2nd rep...I arched my back and my foot slipped...my wrists buckled and the weight fell straight past my thumbs and landed on my chest. The spotters were not at fault....they were very surprised and wanting to take me to the hospital....

I rested a few minutes and pushed 415 for 1 rep....

The next morning, I had trouble breathing and was forced to leave work and go to a clinic. After examination and an x-ray the prognosis was that I had a badly bruised sternum. Physician told me to keep lifting weights. I have done that to this day with a slight different perspective on the importance of form. The pain finally subsided after about 3 months.....tough lesson.

Ovid151 said:
I believe it was an old wives tale, but there is the story of the kid who worked out in his basement alone and put 315 on the bar for (probabley) the hell of it. He did decline and the bar ended up right on his neck. His mom eventually went done and found the kid purple. Appearently he couldn't get it off and he killed himself.
I actually read this in the newspaper a few years back. However I believe it was 365 and not a decline bench, but he was by himself in his basement.

Top Bottom