x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now! within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: Content by Madcow2 Last Revised 1/11/2006 UPDATE - I have updated program descriptions, template downloads, and an updated Table of Contents on my Geocities site (i.e. lots more topics and better organization). This will be the final update of this TOC in the thread (and it's an incomplete one because there's just too much) but the one on that site essentially links all the topics below and more, many of which come to this very thread. This is easier on me and the better descriptions with

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

All Natural

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

YouTube - Pendlay Rows 250 X 5
    YouTube - Strict Barbell ("Pendlay style") Row Demonstration

In those videos, you can see how the bar doesn't physically touch, though it gets close... this is fine?

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Quote Quote posted by powerhawk View Post
    YouTube - Pendlay Rows 250 X 5
    YouTube - Strict Barbell ("Pendlay style") Row Demonstration

In those videos, you can see how the bar doesn't physically touch, though it gets close... this is fine?
    Read this article by the inventor of exercise: How to Perform The Pendlay Row with Correct Technique | StrongLifts.com

All Natural

Quote Quote posted by KoRiN View Post
    Hmm... he says to hit the stomach, but both in the pics & the vids the bar doesn't seem to touch.

In the guys video, you can see how he does loosen his torso in the final reps to get the weight up. If done strict, he probably wouldn't have got those reps... but he probably wouldn't have hit the muscles as hard. The problem arises, how much movement of the torso is OK, and how would you know when you surpass that limit, and aren't really just making progress, but just loosening up on form?

Quote Quote posted by powerhawk View Post
    Hmm... he says to hit the stomach, but both in the pics & the vids the bar doesn't seem to touch.

In the guys video, you can see how he does loosen his torso in the final reps to get the weight up. If done strict, he probably wouldn't have got those reps... but he probably wouldn't have hit the muscles as hard. The problem arises, how much movement of the torso is OK, and how would you know when you surpass that limit, and aren't really just making progress, but just loosening up on form?
    Well with heavy ass weight some form deteoration usually happens, but don't get too carried over by it, one or two "lazy reps" and that's it.

Like Glenn said lock the shoulder blades on top, this will determine how much raise do you need to do strict reps and you should work with that mindset.

sorry if this has been answered..but i am a little confused why week 4 is constantly being brought up as using your 5RM. Lets say my 5RM is 100. would the lifter go
    WEEK 1: ramp up to 85
    WEEK 2: ramp up to 90
    WEEK 3: ramp up to 95
    WEEK 4 : ramp up to 100 (their 5RM)
    (these #'s loosely based on the 2.5% of the 5RM)

so simply: we are using less weight of our 5RM from weeks 1-3 then the 4th week we hit our "true" 5RM, then make some serious progress.

am i correct?? or am i clear? lol sorry if im not, im not the best at explaining things by typing

Quote Quote posted by Deathklaat1357 View Post
    sorry if this has been answered..but i am a little confused why week 4 is constantly being brought up as using your 5RM. Lets say my 5RM is 100. would the lifter go
    WEEK 1: ramp up to 85
    WEEK 2: ramp up to 90
    WEEK 3: ramp up to 95
    WEEK 4 : ramp up to 100 (their 5RM)
    (these #'s loosely based on the 2.5% of the 5RM)

so simply: we are using less weight of our 5RM from weeks 1-3 then the 4th week we hit our "true" 5RM, then make some serious progress.

am i correct?? or am i clear? lol sorry if im not, im not the best at explaining things by typing
    You are on the right path.

Good Broly

Hello everyone. I am using the 5x5 program for about 1 month now, the strenght gains are awesome especially on barbell row and bench press. My question is, today i have to do either incline bench press or military press. Shall i do the incline since i have being doing military for the the past 4 weeks? or shall i stick ot military for the time being since i am a beginner?

Quote Quote posted by NOLOGY77 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am using the 5x5 program for about 1 month now, the strenght gains are awesome especially on barbell row and bench press. My question is, today i have to do either incline bench press or military press. Shall i do the incline since i have being doing military for the the past 4 weeks? or shall i stick ot military for the time being since i am a beginner?
    If you are progressing on the military why change? if you are not prgressing you might wanna give inclined a shot.

Good Broly

I came back from the gym now. sorry korin didnt see your advise before so i said for a change i will do incline...

so today i did Squat 4x5 190lbs, Incline 165lbs deadlifts 255lbs . i am 5.8 weight 183lbs. How does my numbers show?

Good Broly

ah also i did 75 repetitions of calves on a leg press machine and 3x10 barbell shrugs