Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Alright, I just finished monday's workout and missed 110kgx5 again (for the third time now). I only got 4 reps and couldn't get the 5th up, but I did another 2 reps after a few minutes rest to make sure I was getting enough work. The bench and power clean progressed as expected.
My weight has increased by 1kg since I started missing 110kg so I don't think nutrition is a problem, and I'm pretty sure I'm not being a pussy on the lift because my lips/head feel like exploding after I'm done.

I noticed that madcow mentioned on his website that people who bench alot will progress alot slower because they've been doing it for a long time. I've been squatting for ~2 years now, in the first year I could get 105x3x5 at parallel but now I'm only get 105x1x5 ATG. Should I substitute the back squat for another variation of the squat e.g. the front squat, and then return to it after some time? Should I reset and continue pushing the back squat at 1.25% per week instead of 2.5%? Should I start using advanced programming for the squat (even though lots of other guys seem to be on the linear program with a much heavier squat...)? Or should I keep pushing it at 1.25% from now on?

I'm currently leaning to the first option because this lift is srsly pissing me off now...

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Alright, I just finished monday's workout and missed 110kgx5 again (for the third time now). I only got 4 reps and couldn't get the 5th up, but I did another 2 reps after a few minutes rest to make sure I was getting enough work. The bench and power clean progressed as expected.
My weight has increased by 1kg since I started missing 110kg so I don't think nutrition is a problem, and I'm pretty sure I'm not being a pussy on the lift because my lips/head feel like exploding after I'm done.

I noticed that madcow mentioned on his website that people who bench alot will progress alot slower because they've been doing it for a long time. I've been squatting for ~2 years now, in the first year I could get 105x3x5 at parallel but now I'm only get 105x1x5 ATG. Should I substitute the back squat for another variation of the squat e.g. the front squat, and then return to it after some time? Should I reset and continue pushing the back squat at 1.25% per week instead of 2.5%? Should I start using advanced programming for the squat (even though lots of other guys seem to be on the linear program with a much heavier squat...)? Or should I keep pushing it at 1.25% from now on?

I'm currently leaning to the first option because this lift is srsly pissing me off now...

You're not ready for anything more advanced yet. You could start substituting your wednesday workout to front squatting, but make sure you still squat normally mon and fri. Personally, I would say eff the squat since the rest of the lifts are still progressing. Not meaning stop doing them, just keep trying the weight over and over lol until the rest of the exercises stall. Then I would do what Djeclipse said: deload for a week, then drop back 4 weeks and ramp back up.

Although I think Bill Starr suggested that if only one lift gives you problems, just drop that exercise back 4 weeks and try it again while the rest of your lifts continue progressing.

I know the question wasn't directed toward me, but are you relaxing when you're in the hole of the squat? IF you are that could probably be very dangerous to your lower back. Plus I've never heard of anybody doing negatives on squats.

Another thing, maybe try learning how to box squat? Louie simmons (a well known powerlifter) advocates teaching the box squat BEFORE the full squat. Just a suggestion.

You're not ready for anything more advanced yet. You could start substituting your wednesday workout to front squatting, but make sure you still squat normally mon and fri. Personally, I would say eff the squat since the rest of the lifts are still progressing. Not meaning stop doing them, just keep trying the weight over and over lol until the rest of the exercises stall. Then I would do what Djeclipse said: deload for a week, then drop back 4 weeks and ramp back up.

Although I think Bill Starr suggested that if only one lift gives you problems, just drop that exercise back 4 weeks and try it again while the rest of your lifts continue progressing.

I know the question wasn't directed toward me, but are you relaxing when you're in the hole of the squat? IF you are that could probably be very dangerous to your lower back. Plus I've never heard of anybody doing negatives on squats.

Another thing, maybe try learning how to box squat? Louie simmons (a well known powerlifter) advocates teaching the box squat BEFORE the full squat. Just a suggestion.

I was sitting in the hole with heavy weight to make sure I wasn't relaxing. I got someone to check and my chest was up the whole time while I was sitting on my heels so I'm pretty sure my back was flat.

I'm going to reset the squat back to the first PR week (from 110kg to 107.5kg) and work my way back to 110kg with 2.5% increases (a 1 week reset).

I'll keep you guys posted.

PS: I'll try and get a video of my squatting technique for tomorrow.

Hello everyone,. How can we put some clean and jerk repetitions in the program? shall i replace a current exercise with this one every now and then?

Sorry, I haven't been around lately. I lost interest in this board for a while as I am getting sick of having my posts deleted and getting "warnings" because I speak out when someone is preaching improper form, trying it back it up with BS medical journal claims. I don't care who you are, how long you've been here or how many posts you have, if you are going to preach wrong information about improper form I am going to call you on it.

Ironically I don't see any of those mods that delete my posts and give BS warnings in here helping anyone out.

Anyway, are you doing any other activity besides the 5 x 5? Playing any sports etc? You can substitute the front squat for the light squat on Wed as you are using less weight on the front squat. If you have failed on the squat it is time to reset the weight (just for the squat), use the weight you were using 4-5 weeks ago and work your way back up. Eventually you will reach a point where you aren't able to complete the reps for most of the lifts, at that time you take an easy week, have fun and then reset everything 4 weeks.

As for sitting in the hole with the weight on your back for any length of time, I wouldn't recommend it. You may think your form is ok, but as you're sitting there you will start to fatigue and your form will break down.

As for clean and jerk, you could substitute that on wed for the deads. Typically when I need a rest form deads, or a change I will substitute cleans for deads. I've never done the clean and jerk as i am doing over heat press on wed as well.

Anyway, are you doing any other activity besides the 5 x 5? Playing any sports etc?

Yes, I've been doing some HIIT/sprints on tuesdays and thursdays (although I've stopped cardio doing cardio since this week) and I have a job on saturday that requires me to walk around from 9-4pm.

Yes, I've been doing some HIIT/sprints on tuesdays and thursdays (although I've stopped cardio doing cardio since this week) and I have a job on saturday that requires me to walk around from 9-4pm.

The sprints could be getting ithe way of your squat progressing. The legs never have a time to actually rest if you're squatting monday, wed, friday and doing HIT tuesday and thursday.

On the wed light squat how are your legs? Do they burn as if they are fatigued, or is the squat still feel light? If you continue to do the Running on tuesday and thursday you can try front squat on wed, or may want to drop the squat on Wed all together to give those legs some recovery time.

You know your body, you know how it feels.

Either way, it is time reset your squat back 4 weeks and work your way back up. With enough recovery time your squat should go up again.

The sprints could be getting ithe way of your squat progressing. The legs never have a time to actually rest if you're squatting monday, wed, friday and doing HIT tuesday and thursday.

On the wed light squat how are your legs? Do they burn as if they are fatigued, or is the squat still feel light? If you continue to do the Running on tuesday and thursday you can try front squat on wed, or may want to drop the squat on Wed all together to give those legs some recovery time.

You know your body, you know how it feels.

Either way, it is time reset your squat back 4 weeks and work your way back up. With enough recovery time your squat should go up again.

Good advice.

All out HIIT sprints kill my legs and CNS. I could not imagine doing them along with this program. I know many athletes have with success, but I guess this all boils down to your goals. Personally I would rather watch my squat progress, but I also do not need HIIT conditioning for any sport.

Good advice.

All out HIIT sprints kill my legs and CNS. I could not imagine doing them along with this program. I know many athletes have with success, but I guess this all boils down to your goals. Personally I would rather watch my squat progress, but I also do not need HIIT conditioning for any sport.

Ya, I found myself this summer on 3 soccer teams, sometimes playing 4 games a week (i'd go to the gym at lunch and play a game that night).

Playing soccer is somewhat like HIIT running as you are always sprinting, jogging, spring, jog, sprint walk etc. My legs never had a chance to recover and even wednesdays light squat had my legs on fire and the weight seemed heavy (which it should not feel heavy on wed). I had to drop the squat wed and my squats started going up again.

Ya, I found myself this summer on 3 soccer teams, sometimes playing 4 games a week (i'd go to the gym at lunch and play a game that night).

Playing soccer is somewhat like HIIT running as you are always sprinting, jogging, spring, jog, sprint walk etc. My legs never had a chance to recover and even wednesdays light squat had my legs on fire and the weight seemed heavy (which it should not feel heavy on wed). I had to drop the squat wed and my squats started going up again.

That's a lot of soccer :)

Top Bottom