Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Squats 3x a week.

Sorry lol.

I have 1 more question, on the intermediate routine there is a Incline or Military.... does that mean inclined bench press with dumbbells ? i'm confused as to what incline/miltary actually is

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Sorry lol.

I have 1 more question, on the intermediate routine there is a Incline or Military.... does that mean inclined bench press with dumbbells ? i'm confused as to what incline/miltary actually is
It's either incline bench with a barbell or standing shoulder presses with a barbell.

I'm up to week 7 of the program (took 5 weeks to reach my 5RM) and failed the top set for the squat (110kgx5), I only managed to get 2 reps out. The bench press and power clean went ahead as normal.

Does this mean that the squat is periodizing now? Could it be that my squat isn't moving because all of my other lifts are so weak? (I'm benching 81kgx5 and cleaning 74kgx5 and pressing 62kgx5).

I was thinking of maybe progressing with the squat on a fortnightly basis rather than a weekly basis, that way I can still increase all the other lifts while they catch up to the squat. How would I go about doing this? Or should I just reset...

Thanks.

PS: I gained 0.75kg this week so it doesn't look like a nutrition issue.

Well I tried 110kgx5 again this week and only got 4 reps. I'll be trying it again next week and if I get that, I'll be increasing the squat by 1.25% each week rather than 2.5%. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Well I tried 110kgx5 again this week and only got 4 reps. I'll be trying it again next week and if I get that, I'll be increasing the squat by 1.25% each week rather than 2.5%. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

What you are doing is fine. keep the other lifts moving according to the calculator for as long as you can. It seems you have reached a point in your squat where you need to make smaller increments, this is where microloading comes in, adding 1-2lbs instead of 5lbs each week.

When you failed on the squat did you get stuck and had to drop it, or did you get the 4th rep and figure you couldn't get any more. Sometimes with the squat it feels like you can't get another rep, but you end up making it.

When you failed on the squat did you get stuck and had to drop it, or did you get the 4th rep and figure you couldn't get any more. Sometimes with the squat it feels like you can't get another rep, but you end up making it.

I got stuck and had to drop it. On the 4th rep, I lost tightness and couldn't get it back again for the 5th. I got into the hole on the 5th, and I could get up past parallel. Still, I'm only in the second PR week...

I got stuck and had to drop it. On the 4th rep, I lost tightness and couldn't get it back again for the 5th. I got into the hole on the 5th, and I could get up past parallel. Still, I'm only in the second PR week...

Ya, go for it again this week and if you don't make it reset the weight and start again.

Is everything else going up still? Eventually you won't be able to make really long PR runs, when that happens you may have to switch to the advanced 5 x 5 where you are making PR's less frequently.

Ya, go for it again this week and if you don't make it reset the weight and start again.

Is everything else going up still? Eventually you won't be able to make really long PR runs, when that happens you may have to switch to the advanced 5 x 5 where you are making PR's less frequently.

Power clean is going up but starting to get a lot harder
High pulls are still going up
Bench is still going up
I missed military press @ 65kg. Only got 3 reps. My previous 5RM was 60kg though, and I don't expect this lift to go past 70kg at the intermediate level.

Power clean is going up but starting to get a lot harder
High pulls are still going up
Bench is still going up
I missed military press @ 65kg. Only got 3 reps. My previous 5RM was 60kg though, and I don't expect this lift to go past 70kg at the intermediate level.

You need to start microloding. 60-65kg is a 11lb increase. That is a 8% increase for that lift, there is no way you could make 8% increases for any length of time. You need to get smaller weight's so you can go up 5lbs at a time, and then 2.5lbs/ week.

I use chains form home depot to make those 2.5lb increases to the bar.

When everything starts to stall, you take a week and do light stuff (deload), maybe try to see what your new 1rep maxes are, but don;t do as much volume, have fun.

Then reset all your weight's back 4 weeks and build back up. You should see new Pr's again after week 4 and continue on.

You need to start microloding. 60-65kg is a 11lb increase. That is a 8% increase for that lift, there is no way you could make 8% increases for any length of time. You need to get smaller weight's so you can go up 5lbs at a time, and then 2.5lbs/ week.

I use chains form home depot to make those 2.5lb increases to the bar.

When everything starts to stall, you take a week and do light stuff (deload), maybe try to see what your new 1rep maxes are, but don;t do as much volume, have fun.

Then reset all your weight's back 4 weeks and build back up. You should see new Pr's again after week 4 and continue on.

djeclipse, what do you think about sitting in the hole with heavy weight for the squat? I tried this with 100-130kg on Friday (I got 110kgx4) to make sure I wasn't collapsing at the bottom. I sat in the hole for about 5 seconds and then dumped the bar. This "exercise" and dips are the only assistance exercises that I do on fridays.

Top Bottom