Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barefoot Squats

Stryc-9

Yeah - yet another squat thread....but squats are king....so here goes...

Lately I've been doing squats barefoot - and I've noticed it feels remarkably different - feels like a whole new exercise....

Anyone else ever notice this? Possible explanations appreciated....

Here's a shot when you wear shoes they move your heel about .5-1inch above the ground thus giveing less stretch to some areas to other. I would think the diminished support to the ankles would affect your abductors and adductors. I don't recommend it since the arch in your feet will probably be damaged when using heavy weight and your ankles aren't really use to that much weight, increases the rate in which you might seriously hurt your ankles.

It's all about the leverage scheme

Lord_Suston,

Good call, I was thinking oh sh*t my arches, before I even opened the thread. I would definitely not recommend them.

Stryc-9, what you probably feel is that your feet have a better platform with which to work because they are right on the ground, no foam/air in between your feet and the ground. However, sneakers sell for a reason (well marketing, but anyway) if it were safe/better to squat barefoot, I would think you would see more people squatting in socks, or something like that.

Not trying to flame, just my $.02

NateDogg

I've seen a few pictures of Arnold squatting barefoot. Personally, I like to train in wrestling shoes. I guess it's about the equivalent of training barefoot, though. I really like 'em. Every once in a while, I will forget my shoes or one will fall out of my bag and I'll have to train in running shoes and I just can't do it. I feel like I've lost my connection to the gym because there's so much padding between me and the floor. Maybe you could try some wrestling shoes. I highly recommend them.

I actually have been wanting to get a pair of wrestling shoes to train in. However, wouldn't you run into similar problems with training barefoot, like no arch support?

Thanks for the posts guys...

I hadn't even considered the issue concerning a lack of arch support....

...it never occured to me that the foot displacement would be that much different in bare feet...at least with respect to squatting - obviously it would play a major role in high impact activities like running - where the foot is continually being pounded....

I just feel like I can drive up from the heel with more force when I'm barefoot....

DaCypher said:
I actually have been wanting to get a pair of wrestling shoes to train in. However, wouldn't you run into similar problems with training barefoot, like no arch support?

I suppose you could conceivably have arch problems, but I've been training in wrestling shoes for the last 2 1/2 years and I haven't run into any problems. So, from my experience, no you can't have problems with your arches. Also, I think that they're especially good for calf training. I seem to get a better stretch.

Grizzly said:

I suppose you could conceivably have arch problems, but I've been training in wrestling shoes for the last 2 1/2 years and I haven't run into any problems. So, from my experience, no you can't have problems with your arches. Also, I think that they're especially good for calf training. I seem to get a better stretch.

Thats a really good point. Your shoes can easily limit the range of motion for your calves because they don't allow your feet to fully stretch out. I gotta get me some wrestling shoes...

I squat barefoot.

And i havent had problems with my archs.
I find standing up 38 hours at work to be harder on my feet.

take a look at everyone in westside barbell. the recomended squating shoes are chuck taylors the ones that have no arch and minimal soles.

when you squat bare foot or with cons you will not go back.

ITS LIKE HAVING SEX WITHOUT A CONDOM.

Top Bottom