Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arching your back while benching...

When I arch my back it is not that much, just a slight arch, but I am not trying to push the weight they are either. As for tucking my elbows, yeah I had to practice keeping my lats contracted also. It felt odd at first, but the more I do it the easier it is for me. I will still catch my form slipping back to bb form if I don't concentrate.

big4life said:
When I arch my back it is not that much, just a slight arch, but I am not trying to push the weight they are either. As for tucking my elbows, yeah I had to practice keeping my lats contracted also. It felt odd at first, but the more I do it the easier it is for me. I will still catch my form slipping back to bb form if I don't concentrate.

aight bro, thanks for your help...

peace

It all depends on your goals really. Im really niether a powerlifter or bodybuilder, just a weightlifter so I incorporate many ideas into my training. I usually bench pretty flat backed, but more and more Ive been trying to get a slight arch because it seems to help me get under the weight more efficiently. Nice PR! Good luck finding what works for you!

I arch...it is MUCH safer. Less shoulder rotation, shoulders are back, and the spine is actually in a more of a natural state. Remember that the spine is not straight...it ARCHES!!!

Your butt should NEVER come off of the bench. Arching and bringing your butt off the bench is two completely different things. Feet on the floor...always...much safer as well.

B True

b fold the truth said:
I arch...it is MUCH safer. Less shoulder rotation, shoulders are back, and the spine is actually in a more of a natural state. Remember that the spine is not straight...it ARCHES!!!

Is it really a more natural state for the spine? Some of the arches I see powerlifters perform are pretty extreme. I'm not saying if this is unsafe or not, but if I were to say "natural" I would define this as the resting state of your back on the bench, no exagerrated arch or flattening of the lower back.

ChinkNasty said:
yea I ask this question also because I've had this nagging, sharp pain in my right anterior deltoid for about 3 weeks now...real bitch...doesn't really ever hurt while I'm working out but when I'm finished I'm in a ton of pain...

Perhaps you should look into why this pain occurs and what you can do to solve it, rather than simply working around it.

Debaser said:
Is it really a more natural state for the spine? Some of the arches I see powerlifters perform are pretty extreme. I'm not saying if this is unsafe or not, but if I were to say "natural" I would define this as the resting state of your back on the bench, no exagerrated arch or flattening of the lower back.

For myself...I can say yes. For others...I cannot comment.

I can not arch like a lot of the women and SMALLER men do in powerlifting contests now days. I don't think that I was meant to bend that far backwards.

It is safer and for sure should be more natural to have an arch. Not the kind where you can put a football between your spine and the bench...but for sure an arch. I can not tuck my shoulder blades unless I have an arch as well.

B True

alright guys...thanks for all the input...thats a good point you bring up b fold, I never really thought of keeping my butt on the bench cos it always looks like all the other PLs throw their entire back/hips off that bench when they're arching...personally I can't get much of an arch anyways (hips off or on the bench...) but I agree with you in having some kind of back arch...and pinching the lat thing...yea, gonna need to work on that

peace,
CN

my back is pretty flat on the bench, very minimal if any arch. Fortunately i havent had any shoulder injuries so i havent had to arch a whole lot yet. Although, i do try to squeeze my lats and keep my elbows tucked in.

b fold the truth said:

Your butt should NEVER come off of the bench. Arching and bringing your butt off the bench is two completely different things. Feet on the floor...always...much safer as well.

B True

I thought you should contract your abs to preserve your spine ?

Top Bottom