Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

would it be sensible...

b fold the truth said:
I think that everyone should focus their training around these exercises:

Squats
Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
Bench Press
Standing Overhead Press
Barbell Curl
Close Grip Bench

B True
ok cool. then i at least get an "A" for effort.

b fold the truth said:
I think that everyone should focus their training around these exercises:

Squats
Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
Bench Press
Standing Overhead Press
Barbell Curl
Close Grip Bench

B True

looks like my training journal, minus GM's, and skull crushers. :p

The Important Things

The point that I am gonna make has been stated by plenty of authors before, but I think it is important enough to state again. The point is basically this- In the course of your training, make sure you focus on the important things, and let the little stuff fall where it may.

What are "The Important Things"? In my views (and again, many other people have expressed this opinion), the most important things in training are hard work, and lifting heavier weights. If you focused on hard work in a few basic exercises, and tried your damnest to get stronger almost every workout, you have about 90% of training down already.

What unimportant things tend to throw lifters off? First of all, you've got way too many people focusing on supplements. I don't have anything against supplements, but you have to remember that they are only a small part of the big picture. Some supplements will give you a small edge in training, but that's it- A small edge. I see posts on the internet all the time like this:

-I'm not doing good in my workouts. Should I switch creatine brands?

-I haven't gained much size since I started liftin- Do you think I need andro?

Usually guys who post like this are absolute beginners, or just starting out in the lifting game. They don't need supplements, they need to learn the basics of training! Like I said, supplements may give a temporary edge, but there is no way they will put you on the road to progress. If you can only bench 135, your problem isn't creatine- You need to get in the gym and working hard for a few years.

Another thing you see alot on the net (especially in some HIT circles) is guys focusing really hard on the most minor details. You have guys debating whether an extra set of lateral raises will cause you to overtrain, whether or not you've reached your ideal TUL or not, and all sorts of other things. I applaud the attention to detail, as I tend to think quite a bit about my training. Many times, however, such discussions amount to little more than mental masturbation- Sure, it may be fun, but what is it gonna do for your training? Isn't isn't bad to think about these details, but it is bad when the details become more important then hard training and lifting heavier weights. Discuss the other stuff all you want, but keep in mind that the basics are the most important thing of all.

Finally, there are people that are always looking for the "magic routine". While I admit that the routine and exercises you use is a pretty important part of training, there is no "magic" routine out there that is gonna make you superman all of a sudden. All effective training routines have a few things in common- Hard work on basic exercises, with a focus on lifting heavier weights.

There is a time and a place for focusing on detail. Competitive bodybuilders need to work on symmetry, reducing waist size, biceps peak, and any number of other things. Likewise, a powerlifter may need to work on his bench press lockout, deadlift start, or weak muscle groups. These things may be necessary, depending on your goals. However, before you worry about those things, you need a certain level of strength before any specific work will really matter. A 135 pound 18 year old kid does not need to worry about his bicep peak, and if he does, it will probably hold his progress back.

How do I keep grounded in the basics? Well, I make sure to work hard as hell every workout. I also check over my training logs. Every year I'm using more weight in almost all of my exercises.

Are you using the same weights year after year? Are you switching from routine with little or no success? If so, maybe you need to concentrate a little more on the basics. What can you do? Pick a few hard, basic exercises. Squat, bench, deadlift, clean, military press, and chins would probably be among my favorites. Every week, try to improve your weight or reps in as many of those exercises as you can. What about biceps, triceps, and calves? Well, I'm not saying forget these exercises; rather, put the bulk of your effort into the big exercises. Work hard on all the other stuff, but focus on the big lifts.

So what's the point? Work hard. Keep pushing up higher poundages in the big lifts, and let the little stuff fall where it may.

Top Bottom