Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why I Hate Squat Suits

I'm another one here who isn't exactly new to PLing, and I know of only one PLer with hip problems. His came after he turned 60 and he needed a hip replacement.

Could you maybe "de-generalize" your statement a bit, and explain what the the hip problems are, who is experiencing them, and why you think they have to do with powerlifting technique?

Thanks!

B-

Specific people? How about Dave Tate?

As for the basis of my statement, just think about the movement efficiency and fluidity of a PLer versus, say a 100m sprinter. Most PLers don't even like the walk from the car to the gym. :) Who would you guess is more likely to have joint problems? Admittedly though, there are a lot factors that are relevant here, so to isolate technique alone probably isn't wise. But I will say that (not so) common sense should tell you that if you frequently handle near-limit loads for a significant period of time, your joints are gonna take a beating.

LMAO!!!!!

That mullet takes at least 200 lbs off that bar just for the douchebag factor.

B-

Pssshh.....you're just jealous you can't have hair that sexy. :chomp:

You know, I agree with you for the most part, but I've come to believe that most people are capable of similar results as those elites. And yes, this is merely correlative and anecdotal, but it seems like powerlifters - the ones who are most likely to use suits - are the ones who have the most trouble with hip problems. Just makes me wonder how safe powerlifting technique really is.

How many OLY lifters can compete into their 50's? How many develop wrist, elbow, hip, knee problems? I have a friend who has represented his country AT the Olympics and has switched to Strongman (where he has done more than just make the finals at WSM) and has soooo fewer injuries in Strongman than OLY lifting. Past his mid 20's he couldn't do OLY any more due to injuries (small ones that hindered progress).

I have a few friends who have competed at the Olympics in OLY lifting and nearly all of them have hip and knee problems. Knee is common and so is hip. Elbow, wrist, and shoulder is common and so are painful hands.

Most people can accomplish what these "elites" can? C'mon man. How many people on the planet can do a 215kg Clean and Jerk like Dimas at ANY body weight...much less at his 82.5, 83, and 85kg class? How many SHW's can do that in the World? How many American lifters can do that?

With Power Lifters as well as all athletes, they need to spend more time pre-habbing so they don't have to rehab. I can't agree more. I have one gym session a week devoted only to prehab (rev hypers, rotators, abs, hips, sled walking, shoulder traction, etc...).

Any performance based sport will have injuries and pains though. I'm pretty sure Table Tennis Pro's have shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee, and ankle issues (among "others"). :)

Considering the ROM, depth, lack of equipment, his bodyweight, the ease at which he doubled the weight, and the fact that that video was 3 days prior to a competition, and I'd consider that a big squat. :cool:

Yes, a strong squat. How much more could he do for 1 rep though? Just a thought. Take away the drop, bounce, and extreme speed on the way down, and how would it affect him? I can't drop that fast, even if I tried...lol. Wish I could.

One could also guess him to be as high as 95-99kgs up to 3 days prior to weigh-ins as well. It is very common to be able to drop 10% of your bodyweight the day of weigh-ins (the horror of the though!).

Edited:
Just talked to a friend of mine who has worked with Dimas and he said that his POSTED PR's were:
Snatch 182
Clean and Jerk 220
Front Squat 290
OLY Squat 337.5
Deadlift 290

He said that he thought that he might have had SLIGHTLY better gym PR's at different times over his career, but maybe only by a kg or two, depending on their training at the times.

Last edited:
Snatch 182
Clean and Jerk 220
Front Squat 290
OLY Squat 337.5
Deadlift 290

Just for you...lol
Snatch: 400.4
Clean and Jerk: 462
Front Squat: 585.8
OLY Squat: 742.5
Deadlift: 638

At a competing bodyweight of 187 lbs.

Thanks.

I think I am the only computer geek that is mathematically challenged.

Could you also convert that to stone for me as well. And not those damn stones you like to toss around. I want the British version of stone weight!

A 638 pull at 187 is pretty decent I would say. A little work at Westside could help with that though ;)

B-

Thanks.

I think I am the only computer geek that is mathematically challenged.

Could you also convert that to stone for me as well. And not those damn stones you like to toss around. I want the British version of stone weight!

A 638 pull at 187 is pretty decent I would say. A little work at Westside could help with that though ;)

B-

That was the ONLY lift that I thought was low of his. Dimas as a freak of nature. He took Bronze in Athens with a broken bone in his hand (he just taped it up) and after his final lift he took his shoes off and put them at the edge of the platform. Everyone in our house was crying.

Top Bottom