Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What are your Thoughts on NASM CPT Certification?

I have both the NASM-CPT and the NSCA-CSCS certifications.

I draw from the CSCS a bit more in the development of program design for my clients and athletes, however for a general population, it is easier to explain the concepts of the NASM-CPT and philosophies.

Both are great certifications, but if you do not have a degree in the health sciences or a related field, it may be more fitting to begin with the NASM certification.

I've designed a good comparison of nationally recognized and accredited certifications at http://www.my-personal-trainer-school.com

When getting certified the most important thing you want to remember is that your certificate is from an NCCA accredited organization like NASM, AFAA, NFPT, ACE, ACSM. When getting your certificate from an NCCA accredited organization you will have to go to am accredited exam center to write your exam, so that they can make sure you don't cheat.

With the ISSA certification they send you the final exam to your house and you complete it at home and send it back yourself. A lot of the gyms are aware of this and that is why the ISSA certificate is not very highly respected.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I am now an NASM Board Certified Personal Trainer and working on the American College of Sports Medicine Board Certification.

For those who don't know, NASM is very scientific (i.e. observe the client, adjust the program to correct form through stretching/strengthening, and switch up the workout every month to prevent plateaus).

I'm currently training at one of the newest and most upscale gyms in Orange County, CA.

NASM is the best you can get here in the U.K.
Good scientific basis...and great model to take your clients through using pre-determined steps.

atx1975 said:
Whats the best way to get NASM CPT certified with no experience, would it be to take the workshop or get the total package= book, prac exam, cd-rom and all tha stuff?

Work shop! Some times those test can be so Fucked up that they don't even cover the shit in the DVD or CD rom, unless you want to study a text book front and back take the work shop.

NASM is great I am NASM certed I like it a lot, inface APEX from 24 hour fitness where I'm a trainer part time used their APEX cert to piggy back off of it. It is recognized nationally at most fitness centers. ACE is also a good one but tough.

I would not reccomend NASM or any simple cert however if you seriously can go to Med school, take your BS degree and go make money!

The great thing about NASM is that it allows your clients to progress in steps. IT also puts alot of emphasis on postural deviations such as an arched lower back and will allow you progessively correct them. It is a great program for people that have no experience with resistance traing and working with them from the ground up. The only thing i would say bad is it sometimes get kinda repetative

NASM is a very good cert no doubt -
But if you're looking to train at a major chaing health-club, it may be a bit of over-kill -
At a lot of these places you only need a basic cert - I don't think the salary warrants any unnecessary effort before-hand, since your entire success in that environment will depend on your sales in the gym, not your qualifications -

You don't really need experience to get CPT'd. You need knowledge and since you have pre-med background you should not have problems passing the tests. The questions are mostly about anatomy, Kinesiology, and physiology of the body.

Currently, I hold a AAAI/ISMA, IFTA, and Pilates Alliance certs. I will get ACE certified in December. AFAA (group fitness only), ACSM and ACE are the certs that are excepted everywhere. I know a woman who taught at 24 Hour Fitness in Hawaii, you need one of these three certs to work there.

To all personal trainers, do not get certified though a $99 certification. They are okay to get started at a gym, but clients will not take you seriously.

Top Bottom