Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Comparison of certifications and CEU question..

BuildingMASS

I was wondering if any of the CFT's on this board could help me out.
I am currently working toward becoming an R.D. (registered dietitian) and am also interested in becoming a PT soon. I have reviewed through most of the personal trainer certification orgs online and have narrowed it down to the NSCA,ISSA, and NASM...all whom I can acheive w/o a 4 year degree. I'm not looking toward becoming a personal trainer for money or even a "quick and easy" certification; I would rather go through with the harder cert. knowing that I will be able to actually use it at job sites. I have a passion for fitness as well as nutrition and want to help others acheive their goals, so please dont fill up this thread w/ useless comments about how online personal training is a scam, PT's suck, etc.

I beleive that the NSCA and NASM are better then ISSA overall. The only thing that sucks about the NSCA is that it is not in "course" form; you merely purchase the exam preparation materials and you have study for the proctored test. The NSCA however has a great reputation and is accredited by the NCCA. Their passing rate for the CSCS (requires a 4 year degree or being a senior in college) is around 65% whereas their CPT program exam passing rate is a mere 55% (which I respect because not every asshole can get one.)
NASM is also accredited by the NCCA and holds a good reputation within the fitness industry; they also are the only organization that is accepted by the NBA. They offer a weekend seminar with lecturing, a bit of hands on instruction, and a proctored testing. The only downside I see with them is they prioritize core stability and seem to be more concentrated on preparing students for "rehabilitation" clientele.
ISSA, at least from what I can see from the credentials and governing body seems to be prioritizing powerlifting and strength training. They offer a weekend seminar and full courses just like NASM. The downside that I can see is that they allow their students to re-take the exam as many times as they need to pass it which means that any old retard can pass after the 3rd or 4th time with luck.

I gathered the above info from talking with several reps from each organization but I would like some additional info from you guys, the ones that I actually hold their certs.
I was thinking of doing the ISSA certification first because I was told that they focus on the basics.(I wanted to build a good foundation) Then I was thinking of getting my NASM CFT after to have a broader spectrum of knowledge from different aspects of training.
1.Who here has both certifications, the ISSA and NASM, or one of those w/ the NSCA cert??
2.What is your advice for me regarding the certifications, do you think it is worth the time to get multiple certs or will the NASM alone or NSCA alone suffice?
3.Concerning the CEU'S you need to keep the cert. every two years... If I can get for example the ISSA and NASM certs, will I be able to attend a single seminar put on by the ISSA for example...and transfer this CEU credit over to BOTH organizations or will I have to attain seperate CEU's for each in order to keep each certification?

....Kinda long post, but I HIGHLY appreciate any professional help/advice I can get from you guys in the field.

THANKS.

i studied all 3. I got nsca and nasm, was doing the test for issa but at the time, found out I didn't need it to make more money.

nsca is basic. basic exercises,basic protocols, etc.

nasm is what you'll want if you are looking for a strong understanding of the human body. and they implement alot of variety in training over their "paradigm" plyos, slow eccentrics, fast eccentrics, stationary holds, prehab work, all have their place in their program.

issa was a standard training system, based around the 1RM. Not alot of assessment (in depth) and seems to be based around general gym equipment and lifts, not much of the unconventional.

best place I would start is NASM and continue to hone your knowledge by studying other forms of training (not necessarily certifications, but types of training Oly, PL, specific athletics)

So you think I should shouldn't bother with the ISSA cert. at all? Would I just be better off going with the NASM/NSCA cert combination? The thing is that I wanted to study a good foundation of basics...do you think that NASM alone would provide this?
When you have to fulfill your CEU requirement...do you have to get credits for both your NASM and NSCA certifications seperately, or can you count one seminar or one specialized ceu course toward both certs????

absolutely. its not that you don't learn the basic exercises, but you learn ways to progress them as well. you can learn gym basics in a few days, honestly. its understanding the mechanics thats important, they teach you the mechanics.

I just got a NSCA brochure in the mail today. Aside from NASM, they seem to be the most professional and organized that I have researched.

You said you have all three...which cert. do you consider most valuable to you, both as a learning student and as an established trainer?

Did you find the NASM seminar helpful?

sorry, missed this thread

I got more out of NASM in the way of being able to cater and customize a training program, assess my clients and help them progress, better with NASM. I feel that the information is very thorough on program design, gives alot of versatility with exercise selection, and has phenomenal biomechanics education. keep in mind, its all what you put into it, but I feel that if you hit the ground running with NASM, along with your expertise in dietetics, you should be quite credible when you can determine muscle imbalances, weaknesses, and compensations and have the know how to give the proper exercise and motions to help overcome their physical issues as well as their dietary issues.

in a nutshell, I think you'll get more than just "do flyes for chest, rows for back, crunches for abs, and here is how you do each one properly". NSCA is ok, very organized like you mentioned, but they seem pretty standardized, like your run of the mill good trainer would be. NASM takes it to another level, IMO.

Bignate,
Thanks for the help, along with the extensive researching/reading I have been doing about all the certifications, you have been very influential/informative in my decision. Thanks again.

Oh and btw, I recommend for anyone wanting to or looking into becoming a personal trainer to pick up a copy of "Becoming a Personal Trainer for Dummies." I just started it, its definetly a "basic" book but good for someone that is contemplating becoming a PT or doesn't know if they have what it takes. Very informative book/helpful. I picked it up on AMAZON.COM for like $11 used (almost perfect condition).

Top Bottom