Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Walt Disney ruined your love life

Tatyana

Elite Mentor
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/7784366.stm

Rom-coms 'spoil your love life'

Watching romantic comedies can spoil your love life, a study by a university in Edinburgh has claimed.

Rom-coms have been blamed by relationship experts at Heriot Watt University for promoting unrealistic expectations when it comes to love.

They found fans of films such as Runaway Bride and Notting Hill often fail to communicate with their partner.

Many held the view if someone is meant to be with you, then they should know what you want without you telling them.

Psychologists at the family and personal relationships laboratory at the university studied 40 top box office hits between 1995 and 2005, and identified common themes which they believed were unrealistic.

The movies included You've Got Mail, Maid In Manhattan, The Wedding Planner and While You Were Sleeping.

The university's Dr Bjarne Holmes said: "Marriage counsellors often see couples who believe that sex should always be perfect, and if someone is meant to be with you then they will know what you want without you needing to communicate it.

"We now have some emerging evidence that suggests popular media play a role in perpetuating these ideas in people's minds."

"The problem is that while most of us know that the idea of a perfect relationship is unrealistic, some of us are still more influenced by media portrayals than we realise."

As part of the project, 100 student volunteers were asked to watch the 2001 romantic comedy Serendipity, while a further 100 watched a David Lynch drama.

Predestined love
Students watching the romantic film were later found to be more likely to believe in fate and destiny. A further study found that fans of romantic comedies had a stronger belief in predestined love.

Kimberly Johnson, who also worked on the study, said: "Films do capture the excitement of new relationships but they also wrongly suggest that trust and committed love exist from the moment people meet, whereas these are qualities that normally take years to develop."

The researchers have now launched an online study on media and relationships.

They are asking people to participate by answering questions about personality, relationships, and media consumption habits by filling in a questionnaire which you can click on AttachmentResearchWeb.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...st/7784366.stm

Published: 2008/12/16 10:02:45 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Hey Tat, this has nothing to do with Walt, or romance...
I just was curious as to how Your internet romance was going along?

Hey Tat, this has nothing to do with Walt, or romance...
I just was curious as to how Your internet romance was going along?

Swimmingly.

He is fab.

He seems more like a best friend that I would like to get naked with.

Swimmingly.

He is fab.

He seems more like a best friend that I would like to get naked with.

Okay U stoked my curiousity now.
Do U think he sees U in the same light.
I mean, like I have been in that position before where I started out as an intimate possibility, but I think I missed my chance and got transferred over to best friend.
I have also made it back from best friend back over to lover, either way, intimacy is shared in both relationships, though the semantic definition differs, I guess.
However, I'm happy that a 'New World' has developed through the relationship as Anais Nin would say.

Okay U stoked my curiousity now.
Do U think he sees U in the same light.
I mean, like I have been in that position before where I started out as an intimate possibility, but I think I missed my chance and got transferred over to best friend.
I have also made it back from best friend back over to lover, either way, intimacy is shared in both relationships, though the semantic definition differs, I guess.
However, I'm happy that a 'New World' has developed through the relationship as Anais Nin would say.

This is the lovely thing, you know how rare it is to have two people fancy each other the same amount?

Well, we have that going on.

It is also that wonderful freedom that I haven't had before where there isn't anything that feels awkward, no hesitations in communication.

However it turns out, it has been a remarkable learning and growing experience so far, again, for both of us.

This is the lovely thing, you know how rare it is to have two people fancy each other the same amount?

Well, we have that going on.

It is also that wonderful freedom that I haven't had before where there isn't anything that feels awkward, no hesitations in communication.

However it turns out, it has been a remarkable learning and growing experience so far, again, for both of us.

That is awesome.
This is the type of stuff I like to hear.
Yeah, I'm happy for ya.
Its so hard to really connect ya know, so to actually get a chance, is well awesome.

you mean lifeitsownself is NOT like it is in the movies? :biggrin:

meh. . .my wife and i took the kids to disney last summer. . .i think we tore one off pretty much every night we were there. . .in the damn bathroom 'cause that was the only private place in our hotel room. . .disney's ok by me. . .

Romantic comedies taught men how to be whiney pussies and somehow think that a girl will feel sorry for them and fall in love. FUrthest thing from the truth

Disney, yeah..that's the worst. Every girl thinks they're a fuckin princess where prince charming is going to come and sweep them off their feet to give them a dream life where all they have to do is sit there and look pretty. It's been subconciously programmed into little girls for decades

Top Bottom