Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper Pecs - Incline Presses or Not?

What do you think is the best way to build upper pecs?

• Flat Bench Press

Votes: 25 10.1%
  • Incline Bench Press

Votes: 209 84.3%
  • Decline Bench Press

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Cable Crossovers

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Is it really possible to focus on sections of the muscle fibers? Aren't muscles not just stimulated or not? I thought adding incline just incorporated more shoulders into the exercise. Even so I still do them.... out of ignorance really. I mean if you can focus on upper pectoral or lower couldn't you do the same for say, the bicep?

More than one muscle makes up the pecs. Think about the quads - it's a muscle group not a single muscle. Of course there is no 'inner pec' as the pecs stretch outward from the sternum and not along it so this is where what you wrote becomes the standard answer when someone dreams up reverse cable seated ass squeezes to better tone this area.:)

The problem with inclines is that most gym benches are set way too high, so it becomes almost a half assed delt exercise and limits the amount of weight you can use

I like moderate-rep low incline inclines on the smith (boo).. alternated with heavy declines or dips or flat. basically whatever you enjoy doing is gonna work because you'll stick with it.. if the chest gets bigger I'm starting to think is all about what mom and pop gave ya in the gene department

Tom Treutlein said:
Soreness has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a workout. The quickest way to a big chest is through flat bench pressing and dips. Nothing wrong with inclines, but don't compare them to squatting - that's ridiculous.

Thats great and all but he's talking about building his upper chest.... read the post.

you can't say that flat bench and dips are the best way to build your chest period. what works for you may mot work for others and vice versa. actually, in some ways i prefer dumbell presses to barbell presses for the fuller range of motion and because it works the pecs independantly. i have adjustable settings on my bench and i don't make it too steep. bottom line, thumbs up for incline presses and flys

Inclines are a good exercise, i like to do them on smith where I can go slow, not have to worry about balance, and i can feel the muscle working.

I like to do incline db with my palms slightly inward in stretch pos, then press the bells up and at a slight backward arc while turning my hands outward.

It is easier on the shoulders when I do it this way. If I do it elbows out in resting pos, my shoulders bother me. I'm repping the 115's (120s next time), so it's kinda hard on my poor old man shoulders :)

With incline db press I got the 115's for 5...that was an accomplishment

getting it up is harder on my shoulders than actually pressing it...

Top Bottom