Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper Pecs - Incline Presses or Not?

What do you think is the best way to build upper pecs?

• Flat Bench Press

Votes: 25 10.1%
  • Incline Bench Press

Votes: 209 84.3%
  • Decline Bench Press

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Cable Crossovers

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

guest username

High End Bro
Platinum
So, what's your opinion?

Many people think incline presses help build the upper pecs. Others think that it's useless. Still others think that decline presses build the upper pecs.

So what do you think is the best way to build upper pecs?

swatdoc said:
So, what's your opinion?

Many people think incline presses help build the upper pecs. Others think that it's useless. Still others think that decline presses build the upper pecs.

So what do you think is the best way to build upper pecs?

I like doing incline because of its effects on my shoulders and because I feel a greater range of motion for the chest in general. In fact, my lower chest has improved more doing inclines than flat or decline bench.

Flat bench press will stimulate the sternal and clavicular pectoral heads more than decline or incline presses. All that incline bench pressing does is take the emphasis off the sternal head (the "lower" chest). It does not work the "upper" chest (clavicular head) more. For the best development, use both flat bench press and dips. It won't get much better. You can always throw in inclines for a few months to focus on the upper portion, so you don't get that big gladiator pectoral look, if that's not your thing.

http://loserville.us/~chad_ghost/bloodsport8.jpg <~~~Gladiator pecs
http://www.badmovies.de/graph2/todesklaue9.jpg <~~~Gladiator pecs, the second coming.

Incline BB press works for me.

DB's get dangerous in this position at substantial weights. I'll bet they work well.

Some do the laying bench to the base of the throat. Not for me.

Some even do incline flys. Again ... seems dangerous.

I've read the angle makes a big dif. I like mine at 35.

Wanting to build up your chest and not doing inclines is like wanting big legs but not doing squats. I just did heavy inclines yesterday and my pecs are sore out to the shoulder and clavicle. My shoulders even feel it too. Dont go to steep if youre doing them on DB but if you are doing them on a BB the bench is already set on the angle I think.

Soreness has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a workout. The quickest way to a big chest is through flat bench pressing and dips. Nothing wrong with inclines, but don't compare them to squatting - that's ridiculous.

Tom Treutlein said:
Soreness has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a workout. The quickest way to a big chest is through flat bench pressing and dips. Nothing wrong with inclines, but don't compare them to squatting - that's ridiculous.

good post.

one of bodybuildings many oxymorons -- soreness does not indicate a good workout. strange but true.

view said:
good post.

one of bodybuildings many oxymorons -- soreness does not indicate a good workout. strange but true.
Sometimes it can be counterproductive as well.

I had a guy in the ED about two months ago who was following a HIT routine. The guy came in complaining of worsening muscle soreness (chest, triceps, shoulders) to the point where he could barely move. I almost dismissed this as severe DOMS or an injury, but when I asked him some other questions, it turns out he had tea colored urine. I checked his CK, which came back at 27,000. His urine myoglobin was positive and his creatinine had went to 2.5.

To make a long story short, he had exercise-induced rhabdomyolysis with subsequent acute renal failure, a hit which his kidneys will probably never fully recover from.

Part of me wonders if some of the supplements he was taking could have attributed to this. Talk about hard workouts!

eat big said:
Wanting to build up your chest and not doing inclines is like wanting big legs but not doing squats. I just did heavy inclines yesterday and my pecs are sore out to the shoulder and clavicle. My shoulders even feel it too. Dont go to steep if youre doing them on DB but if you are doing them on a BB the bench is already set on the angle I think.

Yeah I have to agree with you. Inclines have made a huge difference in my upper body. Everything from my chest to my shoulders. It keeps my chest in proportion and keeps my shoulders rounded (more so than MP or BTN press).

I agree that flat bench and dips should be the staple chest exercises.

Chest day: flat bench, incline db press, incline flyes
arm day includes: close grip bench, weighted dips

Top Bottom