Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

this is ridiculous but is anyone else uncomfortable at the gym?

I practiced my deadlift form at home with a broom for a while before I tried it out at the gym. I still go through a practice lift or two before I pick up the bar to make sure I have my grip right.

The smith machine shouldn't faze you too much--after all, it's only a way station to real squats.

LOL. About the dead lifts - I do them all the time, BUT (no pun intended) I like to make sure my rump is facing the wall. I don't want my ass right there in the middle of this small weight room with only me and 15 other guys. Not that they care, but I feel a little exposed. I do feel a little uncomfortable sometimes, but I tell myself "f*ck it". I'm doing what I need to do for me.

There is nothing like lifting free weights to give a woman a feeling of empowerment & confidence - lifting real iron, instead of machines. In addition to building hard, solid muscle, free weight training utilizes the stabilizer muscles- not really trained when on machines (the machine is actually holding the weight).
It is likely there is a woman in there who would love to help out w/ form. Perhaps choosing a quieter time in the gym when not so crowded to enter for the first few times- although there should never be any shame in learning. Personal trainers- who look like they know the proper techniques- would be a great start.
There is an 'energy' in the free weight room that does not seem to exist elsewhere in the gym. It's fun to be a part of it. Please, join in! :rolly:

Phem & new@ are right on - spend some time w/ a trainer to get the right form, practice it s alittle so you get the feel and then just go do. Funny thing is, you start noticeing how so many of the other people in the gym act like they know what they are doing but they don't have a clue! Esp the big guys who grunt and groan and swing the dumbbells around - they're just aching for some time w/ a physical therapist after that last sloppy set.

Bottom line - its strict form first, then once you are comfortable w/ that, its all attitude baby!

Small you are cute lol.........I'm sure all of us felt the same way at some point or another. I strongly believe in hiring a good certified personal trainer, especially if you are a beginner.
You will gain more confidence and knowledge, or if you cant afford one, read fitness books or mags, or get a workout buddy . As far as feeling uncomfortable performing certain exercises such as DeadLifts(my fav)
don't, you are there for one reason only...
Yes some men will find it arousing as you lift your gluteus up and down but majority of hardcore BB are too busy working out...stick that ass:D
DeadLifts are the best!!!

I don't want to sound conceded or anything, but I usually have men and women asking me how to's in the gym. The trainers there have no clue, but are paid a lot of money. I rarely use machines, I feel free weights are better even if you are a beginner. I'm very comfortable in my gym, I get the perverts too, and a few women hit on me too, I guess it mean I look good. If you are a women and you are afraid, get a partner , I prefer to workout alone, because some people tend to talk too much, and lift less. I think machines are a waste of time, the machine is doing the work for, you will never learn proper form or ROM if you continue to use machines. Don't be scared to ask.

heehee thanks. i'd like to hire a personal trainer but the funds just might not be there... well, even if i got one to go through my workout with me for a few days it might be worth it... but otherwise, i've started collecting oxygen magazine and it is a great source for pumping me up and giving really good info. unfortunately i have no one knowlegable to be my partner and when i move for sure no one.

good idea with the broom keiko - i think i'll try that! i don't care if my ass is getting stared at as much as if i have a clue how to do the excercise and have good form... :)

i have no problem with dumbells at the gym... i'd like to brag here... and this is coming from a skinny twig... heehee but i did a pyramid of the one arm row the other day and i made it up to 30 lbs! yay!

here is my silly little arm from a month or so ago (bad pic but you'll see how skinny it is):

Small, that's the spirit, btw you have some muscle going on there :D
Oxygen is a great mag...........also Muscle and FitnessHers.

Top Bottom