Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The wonders of vitamin C...

Nathan

Someone was asking about vitamin C and dosages and such so I thought I'd post this to explain how vit C helps with muscle growth and many other vital functions.

VITAMIN C

What it does in the body

Vitamin C is involved in hundreds of vital biological processes in the body.

Collagen and connective tissue

The main role of vitamin C is in the manufacture of collagen. This protein forms the basis of connective tissue, the most abundant tissue in the body, and acts as a cementing substance between cells. It helps
support and protect blood vessels, bones, joints, organs and muscles, and forms a sizable proportion of skin, tendons, the cornea of the eye, ligaments, cartilage, teeth and bone. Collagen forms a protective barrier against infection and disease, and promotes healing of wounds, fractures and bruises.

Immune system

Vitamin C is critical to immune function as it is involved in antibody production and white blood cell function and activity. Other functions include the production of interferon, an antiviral and anticancer substance. Vitamin C requirements are raised when the immune system is under stress.

Antioxidant properties

Vitamin C is a powerful water soluble antioxidant and plays a vital role in protecting against oxidative damage. It neutralizes potentially harmful reactions in the watery parts of the body, such as the blood and the fluid inside and surrounding cells. It also helps protect LDL cholesterol against free radical damage. This antioxidant action helps to protect against cancer, the effects of aging, heart disease, and an array of other health problems.

Hormones

Vitamin C is important in the synthesis of adrenal hormones and is depleted from the adrenal glands in times of stress.

Nervous system

Vitamin C plays a role in the manufacture of neurotransmitters. It is necessary for the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin, and of tyrosine to dopamine and adrenaline.

Other functions

Vitamin C is involved in the manufacture of carnitine, a substance necessary for the production of energy from fatty acids in cells, especially cardiac and skeletal muscle cells. Vitamin C is necessary for the activity of the enzyme system which metabolizes drugs in the body. It is also necessary for iron absorption and plays a role in the conversion of cholesterol to bile acids for excretion. Vitamin C may also affect prostaglandin metabolism.

Absorption and metabolism

Absorption of vitamin C occurs in the intestine. The amount absorbed depends on the dose as the absorption mechanism is saturable and any excess excreted in the urine in two to three hours. As vitamin C is water soluble, only a small amount (about 4 to 5 g) is stored in the body. Vitamin C levels in the body are regulated by absorption and kidney excretion mechanisms.

Dosage

Opinions vary widely as to the optimal dose of vitamin C. Linus Pauling, the Nobel Prize winner who studied the effects of large doses of vitamin C on the common cold, flu and cancer, recommended an optimum intake of between 2 g and 9 g per day. Many experts believe that 500 mg is ideal to meet body needs while others feel that 200 mg is adequate. Vitamin C needs vary with age, weight, activity, energy levels, general metabolism and state of health.

In order to maintain blood levels of vitamin C, it is best to take it in divided doses throughout the day. Taking vitamin C with food minimizes adverse effects on the digestive system.

A study reported in 1997 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that doses of vitamin C above 200 mg do not increase blood levels of the vitamin significantly and may be excreted. Researchers at the University of Tucson in Arizona, measured blood levels of vitamin C when the dose given was 200 mg and then again when 2500 mg was administered. They found negligible absorption increases between the lower and higher doses.

Doctors who practise orthomolecular medicine use megadose vitamin C therapy in times of specific illness, especially viral infections. They typically use 20 to 40 g daily, often intravenously. With oral doses, some doctors believe that the amount of vitamin C needed is related to the severity of the disease and increase the dose until ‘bowel tolerance’ is exceeded and diarrhea results.

Toxic effects of excess intake

Vitamin C is safe in relatively large doses but excessive intakes may cause diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramping, excess urination and skin rashes. There is the possibility of kidney stones in those with kidney
disease. These effects may occur when doses above 1 g are taken regularly. Chewable vitamin C may lead to tooth decay.

Large doses of vitamin C taken by pregnant women have caused ‘rebound scurvy’ in newborn babies whose intake returns to normal. It may be advisable to reduce vitamin C intake slowly after taking large
amounts.

Results of a study reported in 1998 in Nature Medicine suggest that vitamin C may cause cell damage in doses above 500 mg. The researchers gave daily doses of 500 mg of vitamin C to 30 healthy volunteers
and then assessed two indicators of oxidative damage in DNA from their blood cells. One of these indicators showed less oxidation in the volunteers, and the other indicator showed more oxidation than before they began taking the supplements. However, this study directly contradicts other studies and focuses only on a single biological marker that is not necessarily known to be a good indicator of oxidative stress.

High blood pressure

Vitamin C may also be of benefit in the treatment of mild high blood pressure, another risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Some research suggests that vitamin C may have beneficial effects in lowering high blood pressure. Vitamin C supplements improve abnormal artery lining function in hypertensive people.

Immunity

Vitamin C boosts immunity by increasing the production of B and T cells and other white blood cells, including those that destroy foreign micro-organisms. It also increases interferon levels and antibody responses and has antiviral and antibacterial effects. These effects lead to improved resistance against infections.

Vitamin C has been shown to help the immune system recover from exposure to toxic chemicals. In a 1997 study, researchers studied the effect of vitamin C on the function of several immune cells (natural killer, T and B cells) in patients who had been exposed to toxic chemicals. Fifty-five patients were given buffered vitamin C in water at a dosage of 60 mg per kg body weight (around 4g for the average man).
Twenty-four hours later, the researchers tested immune cell function. The results showed that natural killer cell activity was enhanced up to ten-fold in 78 per cent of patients. B and T cell function was restored to normal.

Exercise

Strenuous exercise appears to increase the levels of free radicals in the body, increasing the risk of disorders in which oxidative damage play a part. As an antioxidant, vitamin C may help to prevent this damage. In a 1997 study researchers examined the effects of supplements on oxidative stress in athletes. They found that exercise-induced oxidative stress was highest when those involved in the study did not supplement with vitamin C.

Cautions

There is some concern that large doses of vitamin C may cause kidney stones because part of the oxalate in calcium oxalate kidney stones comes from metabolized vitamin C. However, this is unlikely to happen in healthy people. It may be advisable for anyone suffering from recurrent kidney stones, kidney disease or who has a defect in vitamin C metabolism to keep their daily intake of vitamin C to around 100 mg.

i can't name the articles i have read, but there are a few articles out there indicating that Vitamin C can actually CAUSE cancer, or help it to proliferate. This can happen with doseages over 1g/day. Also they have found large deposits of Vit.C inside cysts.

I was looking for those articles as well. I know about 4-6 weeks ago in the news they were talking about vit c causing damage to one's dna; they specifically said supplemental vit c. I guess if you can get the higher doses from foods your ok (just like most nutrients).

Too bad we can't buy meats that have been marinated in or infused with gear; Utopia huh?

I'll have a ham n cheese, heavy on the fat free EQ sauce". :angel:

Well, you can pretty much have too much of anything. I was trying to outline the BENEFITS of taking vit C not instill some nagging doubt in people's minds that too much will give you cancer. Just stick to the rda or go a bit above if you like, after all everyone on this board needs more than most due to their increased activity level. Personally, I take 1g divided throughout the day, but I don't eat any fruit - I eat loads of broccoli though and that's a great source.

What DOESN'T cause cancer? I agree with Blood_Drinker.

Just cause some scientist discovers that there is a .00005% chance that 10000000000006.92% d/v of vit.c will cause a slight case of cancer in a giraffe Doesn't mean shit. Media blows this shit up like its gonna clear the whole planet of human life. Don't listen to it.

Hahahaha!

Vit C. causing cancer? I think not!

If you're worried about cancer consume large amounts of broccoli, Japanese green tea and Maitake (a jap. mushroom)

Vit C is water soluble which means if the body needs it it will intake as much of it as it can to fight disease and repair cell damage, the rest gets flushed out of your body.

You are at more risk of getting cancer just by walking to work everyday along the polluted highways in the States
and injesting foods with artificial sweetners and preservatives.

Take vit C , it won't hurt you even at doses of over 5g a day, that is unless you have an easily upset stomach.

:alien: :alien: :alien:

Last edited:
I agree that pretty much everything nowadays seems to be accused to causing cancer.

I'd rather take the vit C and risk the cancer personally. I'm more likely to get it from the toxins and pollution in the environment than my vit C tablet every day.

I read that article on vit C damaging your DNA it was in US News Today, u can read it at there web site, good article but I don't agree with it plus the guy in there was taking 15 grams a day, I sure as hell dont take that much.

Top Bottom