Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The original G'nR were the epitomy of rock

No one ever mentions Iron Maiden, the greatest vocalist in all of rock and roll. He and Freddie Mercury are the best vocalists of rock, by far.

heatherrae said:
No one ever mentions Iron Maiden, the greatest vocalist in all of rock and roll. He and Freddie Mercury are the best vocalists of rock, by far.
don'tcha think the same rednecks you despise are also big iron madien fans?
all the loser trash i knew from high school had iron madien patches on their jean jackets...

GnR AFD along with JACKYL (self titled) are two of the greatest debut albums of all time, IMO. Now I'm talking about having fun listening to their entire release (every freakin' song), not about skills and voice ranges, technical abilities, production qualities, drug abuses, or their abilities to be role models to the community. Why go and suck the enjoyment out of listening to music?
Neither band were able to follow up on their debut success, as far as me liking every song on subsequent releases.

Gambino said:
don'tcha think the same rednecks you despise are also big iron madien fans?
all the loser trash i knew from high school had iron madien patches on their jean jackets...
Nah, different group of listeners, I think. Plus, you just cannot deny that raw talent. They were incredible.

Powerbuilder333 said:
GnR AFD along with JACKYL (self titled) are two of the greatest debut albums of all time, IMO. Now I'm talking about having fun listening to their entire release (every freakin' song), not about skills and voice ranges, technical abilities, production qualities, drug abuses, or their abilities to be role models to the community. Why go and suck the enjoyment out of listening to music?
Neither band were able to follow up on their debut success, as far as me liking every song on subsequent releases.

I havta agree there. Besides "Are You Experienced?", Appetite for Destruction is probably the best debut album of all time.

HR = I disagree I don't think Dickinson can hold a candle to Mercury. I mean, show me one other rock vocalist who has recorded both Rock N Roll and Opera albums.

Mr. dB said:
Not much to explain, he's a skinny white kid from Indiana who learned how to fake a growly vocal style. I don't think it takes any electronic enhancement to get the basic Axl vocal noise. His phrasing sounds like Ethel Mermen.

Seriously, try to imagine Ethel Mermen singing "Welcome To The Jungle", it doesn't take much adjustment to make it fit. Or Axl Rose singing "There's No Business Like Show Business"...

if you listen closely, when he goes high, its tru a vocoder - he sounds like he has a speech impediment lol (think peter frampton - do you feel like we do) - when he's in the lower ranges he's fine

Mavafanculo said:
if you listen closely, when he goes high, its tru a vocoder - he sounds like he has a speech impediment lol (think peter frampton - do you feel like we do) - when he's in the lower ranges he's fine

He may have needed some help with a few notes, who knows... But his basic vocal tone doesn't depend on the gadgets, that nasally growl thing comes from the throat. When he goes into the higher registers, he shifts from a nasally growl to a nasally screech, which is a different technique that he apparently has less control over. I thought you were trying to suggest that his vocal sound was manufactured by the gadgets, which I don't believe to be true.

The ability to correct vocal pitch has come a long way since G'n'R's time. The damned Antares box is on just about every record now, and you can really hear it. It sounds fake, I think it's worse than the bum notes they're trying to fix. It seems more apparent if you're not really listening, and the music is background noise or playing in the next room, then it sounds like someone has connected a MIDI port to the singer's neck and is playing his voice with a keyboard.

Which specific songs have the vocoder on them

Mavafanculo said:

Which GnR song(s) did the producers use the vocoder on? The first GnR recordings were recorded on analog 2" tape, so IF the producer used a vocoder, did he use the "vocoder vocal" on a punch in?

In a previous post you alluded to the use of a harmonizer as well. Which specific songs have the harmonizer on them?

Also Framton used the Heil Talk Box and not a true vocoder. However, some refer to the talk box ala Framton, Sambora, Joe Walsh ect as a poor man's vocoder.

I am not a big time GnR fan, but if some one is going to say that Axl used a vocoder and a harmonizer, then they need to point out which specific songs

Top Bottom