Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Still fat, thinking about trying the metabolic diet

fit4sure said:
Hey, thanks timtim! I pm'd you.

Anyone, else got thoughts on the Metabolic Diet? I like the forums because I can get a variety of opinions.

no problem. just pmed you back.

fit4sure said:
Hey, thanks timtim! I pm'd you.

Anyone, else got thoughts on the Metabolic Diet? I like the forums because I can get a variety of opinions.
If you want an excellent diet for $50 per month you can go to justaddmuscletrainer.com and get access to everything you will need and advice to guide you the whole way to your goals.

i'll pm u.
Just Add Muscle said:
If you want an excellent diet for $50 per month you can go to justaddmuscletrainer.com and get access to everything you will need and advice to guide you the whole way to your goals.

Hello :)

I am not familiar with the metabolic diet (low carb) but really, it is all about calories in = calories out.

You could always experiment, I can diet on high carbs, low carbs didn't cut it for me last time I tried.

Would you mind posting more stats? Calories, height, weight?

There is also a women's section and there are quite a few female figure and physique athletes who give some awesome advice, quite a few are comp prepping right now.

Hi,

I haven't counted cals in a while, but I count grams for every meal

all six meals have 28 grams of carb, 28 grams of protien, and 3 grams of fat
I am 5'2" and 118lbs.

I don't plan to compete to next summer, but I want to get lean first and try to stay on the lean side.

Tatyana said:

I am not familiar with the metabolic diet (low carb) but really, it is all about calories in = calories out.

You could always experiment, I can diet on high carbs, low carbs didn't cut it for me last time I tried.

There is also a women's section and there are quite a few female figure and physique athletes who give some awesome advice, quite a few are comp prepping right now.

fit4sure said:
Hey, thanks SouthernLord! :)
How did it affect your ability to do cardio? Did you need to do cardio?Remember, I am not on anything but ephedrine hcl and hoodia.

I think DiPasquale advises to do low intensity long duration cardio, but I am not totally sure on this. I am not a very big fan of HIIT anyway. I did very little cardio when I was on the AD. I was Powerlifting at the time, and I would drag the sled or swing kettlebells for active recovery.

Tatyana said:

Tat the Metabolic Diet is actually the Anabolic Diet by Mario DiPasquale. I think it was renamed the Metabolic Diet because the Anabolic Diet sounded to "edgy". It is basically a CKD.

What is CKD? I am new to this stuff and don't know alot of abbreviations.
SouthernLord said:
Tat the Metabolic Diet is actually the Anabolic Diet by Mario DiPasquale. I think it was renamed the Metabolic Diet because the Anabolic Diet sounded to "edgy". It is basically a CKD.

fit4sure said:
What is CKD? I am new to this stuff and don't know alot of abbreviations.

CKD = Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

I was going to type something up to explain this, but this article does a better job. Does this sound similar to the Metabolic Diet???

Bodybuilding Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
by by Ed Sturm
This article is being written for those who are either only remotely familiar and totally unfamiliar with ketogenic dieting. The information provided here is based solely upon my own personal experiences as well as those of my wife. There are no references from medical journals or mentions of specific case studies. This is simply a real life testimony of what my wife and I have experienced with regards to ketogenic dieting.

What is a Ketogenic Diet?

For starters, ketotenic dieting is based upon the removal of nearly all carbohydrates from one's diet for a certain period of time. In the absence of carbohydrates, the body will resort to stored fat as it's primary fuel source. Stored fat is broken down into ketones which the body then uses for energy. In order to enter this state of ketosis, one's liver glycogen must be emptied. Ingested carbohydrates are stored in the liver as glycogen, as well as in the muscles. When the liver is depleted of glycogen, a state of ketosis is achieved. Ketones are a by-product of fat burning, therefore while in a state of ketosis, the body is burning stored fat as it's main source of fuel. I'll bypass the explanation as to why this is such a positive occurrence.

The object of a ketogenic diet is to deplete the liver of it's glycogen stores as quickly as possible so that fat burning occurs. This is done by severely restricting carbohydrates and eating only sources of proteins and fats. On a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) carbohydrate restriction lasts for a total of 5-6 days at which time a 1-2 day carbohydrate loading phase begins. The CKD is essentially the Ketogenic Diet for weightlifters, with the carbohydrate loading phase designed to replenish Muscle Glycogen stores so that adequate weight training may occur during the following week.

Many people have brought up the issue that a low carbohydrate diet will cause lethargy and weakness. These people were not mentally strong enough to make it through the first few days until they reached a state of ketosis so they experienced the basic lethargy typically associated with low carb diets. They also did not replace any of the missing calories with fat which caused them to feel miserable due to a lack of adequate calories. They didn't give themselves or the diet a chance to adapt. Just like with anything else, there is a period of adaptation.

This is not a low carbohydrate diet. It is essentially a NO Carbohydrate diet. While on a LOW carbohydrate diet, enough carbs are always eaten to avoid entering into a state of ketosis but not enough carbs or total calories to maintain adequate energy levels. Dropping the carbohydrate count further and raising the fat calories will allow the body to enter ketosis and use ketones, or stored fat as fuel. While in a state of ketosis, one feels energetic and does not experience the general lethargy found with basic LOW carbohydrate diets. Ketones also enable one to maintain regulated insulin levels throughout the day which again will cause one to feel energetic. Below we can see the difference between a basic low carb diet and the Ketogeinc Diet.

Basic LOW Carb Diet:

weakness
lethargy
low insulin levels
constant hunger
moderate fat burning
muscle loss
low fat intake
excessively low total calories
Ketogenic Diet:

energy
workout intensity
feelings of well-being
full and satisfied
high fat intake
high level of fat burning
minimal muscle loss
total calories no more than 500 below maintenance
Clearly it is obvious which diet is more beneficial as far as fat burning, retaining muscle and general feelings of well being. Plus, with the ketogenic diet, you actually get to eat more food.

How it Works

Now don't get me wrong here. I am not trying to "sell" anyone on a ketogenic diet and there is no product we are pushing here. This article is simply to give people another option; one that my wife and I have had a tremendous amount of success with. Ketogenic dieting is not easy as eliminating carbohydrates from one's daily eating habits is quite difficult. It requires structure, planning and dedication. Many foods are carbohydrate laden that the average person is not even aware of such as fruits and condiments. Basically, on a ketogenic diet one eats meat and fish all day long. It does have it's advantages though as normally restricted foods such as steak, whole eggs, pork chops, pork skins, sausages, meatloaf, burgers (without the bun of course) and salmon are not only permitted, but they are encouraged.

It is quite simple to slip up without even knowing it on this diet. First, understand that even a minimal amount of carbohydrates will shift your body right out of the ketosis/fat burning mode. This is a diet that requires strict attention to detail and absolutely NO cheating during the week. The cheating will come soon enough and plenty enough on the weekends. There is no such thing as just a little bite of that bagel of just one cookie. This diet works absolute wonders as far as fat burning goes but it must be done properly or results will be minimal at best.

Carb Depletion

During the carbohydrate depletion phase (during the week) carbohydrate foods such as fruit, breads, grains, candies, cookies, deserts, catsup, dressings, cereals, etc., etc. are not permitted at all. One must check the label of everything to ensure that there are no carbs. The key is to keep the daily carb count of 20-40 per day. Some people even require less than 20 to achieve ketosis. This basically allows you a total of roughly 4-8 grams of carbohydrates per meal which would preferably come in the form of green vegetables. Watch the dressings as they all have carbohydrates with the exception of vinegar. The only condiments that you can be safe with are mustard and regular, whole mayonnaise. (not low fat or light)

Workouts

While on a CKD, one must tailor their workouts to center around the diet. The carb depletion would begin on Monday and between Monday-Wednesday, the entire body would be trained with weights. In other words, condense the workouts so that they are completed by Wednesday. This will exhaust both your liver glycogen as well as your muscle glycogen. Cardio may continue to be done all week. At the end of the week, one would perform a grueling full body weight training session after which time the carb loading would begin.

Carb Loading

The carbohydrate loading may last anywhere between 12-36 hours although I feel it is best to minimize it to 12-18 hours. It consists of basically a full day of cheating (but there are rules). You need to consume carbohydrates in each meal ranging from 40-120, depending upon the person. The protein stays high but fats must be limited or the total calories will be too high and new fat will be stored. The idea is refill muscle glycogen so that workouts may be performed with some amount of intensity the following week. Fruits are to be avoided as fructose will only refill liver glycogen which will prevent ketosis from being reestablished until later in the week. After the carb load is complete, the depletion phase begins again until the next weekend. During the carb load period, any carbs may be eaten so long as the fat is kept moderately low and there is no fructose (fruit sugar) consumed.

Results

While on a CKD, it is quite common for users to experience total fat loss of up to 2-3 pounds per week. Due to the carbohydrate cycling and manipulation, one will experience weight fluctuations ranging from 2-10 pounds during the carb loading phase. Personally, I went from 10% body fat to 5% in 8 weeks with minimal muscle loss while my wife went from 20% to 15% in an astonishing five weeks. The keys are not cheating at all during the week, knowing the nutritional content of the foods you eat, maintaining structure and not overdoing it on the weekends.

This article is intended to supply the reader with a basic introduction to the principles of ketogenic dieting. There is much more information available and I strongly suggest that prior to starting a diet of this sort, the reader purchase one of the following books listed below which will shed more light upon the subject. There are additional variables such as vitamin and supplement information, fiber consumption, additional ketogenic aids and potential dangers which need to be addressed prior to beginning a ketogenic diet.

1) The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

2) Body Opus by Dan Duchaine

3) New Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins

This article is not meant to act as or replace the advice of a medical professional. Many medical professionals do not share the belief that ketogenic diets are safe and effective. Please visit with your Doctor prior to beginning any diet program.

Does anyone have an example of one of these diets?? I have been o the catabolic soup diet and it is a little boring, i.e the same food every day pretty much. But it works!!

Top Bottom