Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

static bench hold

brianmincher

Hey guys,

Last night after my max effort exercise, which incidentally was a 3 board press plus choked green bands plus chains (I like things as complicated as possible) I decided to try something a little bit wacky.

After reading Jay's recent post about pressing 625 (awesome) I was wondering what that even felt like on the bar. So to satisfy my curiosity, I loaded up 625, got a really good spotter, and did a 3 second static lockout with 625. It was FREAKIN HEAVY.

I had two reasons for this debacle. I wanted to see what it felt like, (see paragraph above, last line) and I am trying to delude myself into thinking that the weights I will be attempting on the 16th are not heavy. I think that I have come to a solution on the latter. I am just going to fool myself into thinking that I am someone much stronger than myself, and then my central nervous system will think that these piddly little weights aint shit.

I will let you guys know how the experiment goes following the 16th. Good luck to all competitors in their upcoming contests, and Screwball and Bigokie, drop me a line so I can be sure you have good directions to the meet on the 16th.

B.

If you go to Fred Hatfields site, he talks about doing static holds at like 120% of ones max.

Also I'd like to mention a local meet I did in Sept of 2001, Gritter Adams from Westside was there along with other Westside lifters, and during the warmups many of them were taking static holds prior to their attempts. I asked some of them what they were doing and they said that it got them ready for their attempts and didn't tax them as much, Also I think they made mention of getting their CNS ready for their attempt. They also said that you can do these in your workouts but be careful because they tax your shoulders big time.

I haven't tried them yet and can only report on what I witnessed and was told. Anyone else have any feed back on this exercise?

What kind of weights were Gritter and them using in relation to thier attempts. I know that he has like a 585 bench.

Thanks.

That'll probably increase your bench for a good 2-3 weeks by potentiating your nervous system.

You can also do it with you Squat and DL.

Or by doing heavy negatives-- I don't know how effective this is however.

-Zulu

I am going to steal that word potentiating from you Zzulu, I like that.

I have never done walkouts, which I guess would be the squat equivalent of the static hold, but it seems like it would have to make you feel more comfortable under heavy weights, and more comfortable in setting up.

I may try and work those into my workouts after the 16th and see how I like them.

B

Brian,

I wish I could tell you but I can't. There were a total of 16 lifters, the meet almost didn't go on, because of the small turnout. We were all getting ready at the same time and didn't really pay attention to what wt he was using. Alot of the lifters failed their attempts so I don't know if the static helped or not.

I know some of the guys were going for 600, 615, around that range.

No, this was the IPA North American Bench Press Championship--this should have been a huge meet(Pittsburgh Area) but it wasn't I don't know what happened, It was Sept 15th, so maybe alot of people just didn't show because of Sept11th? Maybe alot of the locals were intimidated by the name of the meet, I don't know, but it still was a good time and Gritter handed out some brownies/cookies etc... to everyone there, and the meet director had food and beverages for everyone for being there, definately an upstanding guy.

From what i gather holding the weight that is heavier than your max is supposed to make your max feel lighter. I can see this because yur CNS would be ready for the heavier weight and thus the lighter max would feel , well light. I'm sure there is some data on this somewhere out there.

I have actually tried a little experiment where I did heavy lockouts and then dropped down and did a full bench. I hit my best raw bench that day because it felt like nothing. Somthing to think about.

Top Bottom