Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

squats and deadlifts vs their variations

JDid23

just wondering what you guys think of back squats vs front squats and conventional deadlifts vs stiff-legged deadlifts.

Also, is there a general idea of the weight difference you should be using?

I prefer Front squats to back squats, mainly because I have horrendously poor shoulder flexibility plus a history of RC impingements and back squatting simply doesn't agree with these two things!

As for Deadlifts vs. SLDL or RDL...well you can't really compare them because they're different exercises with different purposes. Conventional deads are a posterior chain exercise but they make much greater use of your back muscles than your legs, whereas SLDL and RDL place far greater emphasis on the hamstrings. Most people would use Deadlifts as part of their back workout, but SLDL or RDL as part of their leg workout.

I prefer Front squats to back squats, mainly because I have horrendously poor shoulder flexibility plus a history of RC impingements and back squatting simply doesn't agree with these two things!

As for Deadlifts vs. SLDL or RDL...well you can't really compare them because they're different exercises with different purposes. Conventional deads are a posterior chain exercise but they make much greater use of your back muscles than your legs, whereas SLDL and RDL place far greater emphasis on the hamstrings. Most people would use Deadlifts as part of their back workout, but SLDL or RDL as part of their leg workout.

What do you use to compensate for the reduced activation of the glutes and hams from the front squat?

B-

all are good exercises but work the muscles in a different way. Front squats emphasize the quads whereas the back squat uses alot of glute, hamstring and quad. Deadlift and roman deadlift are two different lifts. One uses legs more and one uses back more. Do all these for the best results.

heavy squats and deads are what you need.

What do you use to compensate for the reduced activation of the glutes and hams from the front squat?

B-

well I do front squats on deadlift day, so my glutes get worked both from front squats and deadlifts and my hams are worked hard with the deadlifts.

I do sumo box squats, olympic style squats, RDL and leg press on squat day.

how about the weight used? I can deadlift a lot more than i can back squat, but front squat around the same as stiff legged dead

Top Bottom