Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sqatting and deadlifting are bad for the knees and the spine

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Sqatting and deadlifting are bad for the knees and the spine

Who didn't hear such a thing in the gym (or at your doc) ?

We all know a guy who hurt himself doing either squat or DL (or both) ?

Should we conclude that those 2 exercises are really bad for the knees and the lower back ?

I don't think so

First, the people who do those exercises are usually "real" BBers, not the skinny newbies
and you are more likely to hurt yourself doing heavy multi joints movements rather curl with pink weights

What's more if you hear some people complaining about their injuries how many people use these exercises and get much benefit from them (but you don't hear them so much)

It's just like ephedrine : a few people died but the media made us believe it is highly dangerous

And there are lots of parameters that we should take into account before concluding squat and DL are dangerous
Maybe the form was not correct ?
Too much weight ?
Overtraining, stress and fatigue ?

I guess one should be careful when doing those 2 great exercises, but there is no reason to be afraid

I agree, I think those who hurt themselves are using wrong form or trying to bite off more than they can chew. Or not doing enough warmups, etc.

I think they're good for the knees and the spine since they build and strengthen the muscles that support those bodyparts.

I remember a long time ago when I first started to lift a PT at a gym told me not to squat so low cuz its bad for my knees and it will give me a big butt !!! Well...... I have been doing ass to the floor squats and deads for over 20 years now and at age 47 I have no problems with my back or knees and I still have a nice, tight, well proportioned ass !!! :)

HodgeMN said:
I do both depsite having back problems in the past. My back has never felt better.

If done properly I am pretty sure squat and DLs are great exercises to stregthen your lower back

Interesting topic as just the other day i did squats with plenty of warmup and good form and i did something to my knee.........wierd

Top Bottom