Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Speaking of the January crowd....

At my gym they are called "NewYeardecisionmakers". Most of them will disappear by the end of February. There are men past their middle ages, young guys and a few women. It is usually the young guys who disappear. Do you know why? Because they are disappointed at their biceps and other muscles that don't grow or toughen at all in two months, no matter what special techniques they've tried. Of course there may be some patient and intelligent boys, who are prepared to devote the rest of their lives to this new lifestyle. The women usually stay. Some of the men quit.

There's a peculiar boy, who started before Christmas. He's quite thin and he only trains his arms and bench, oh yes, I've seen him doing upright rows. The range of movement is about 10 inches. The same with curls and pushdowns. He swings a lot and uses his bodyweight instead of holding his body still and concentrating on the muscle he's working with. He always benches too heavy, bounces the bar on his chest and finishes hardly three reps. Ego-weights?

Last edited:
hahahaha...this is a funny thread.

i watched this skinny young kid the other day attempt to do bicep curls with 40lb DBs. it was horrible...he was trying so hard to lift that weight. finally, another member walked over with the 20lb DBs - he put the weights down at the kid's feet and just walked away.

it was awesome.

Wow!! I came home today & look at all the responses!! LOL I love funny gym stories...

There is another guy who was there the other night who was doing curls with 5 pound (YES 5!!) & struggling!!

We have another guy (not a newbie anymore) who stands beside the free weight bench, holds on with one hand & with the other is holding a 45 or 50 lb dumbbell. He then swings his arm up in the air, rising up on his toes -- over & over. One of these days he's going to lose his grip on that weight & hurt someone!! Also, I have no idea what this exercise does.

Shak - 40LB biceps curls (not single handed) is not a trivial weight even for some of us -:)

I think the funniest thing I have ever seen is one guy trying to bench 95LB and he had 2 guys on each side spotting him - where is the camera when you need one.

I saw some dude get on the leg press and the sled promptly crashed all the way down so he was all compacted up into a few sqare feet, lol.

Me and some other dude pushed it back up for him. Some huge guy then proceeded to ask the guy if he knew there was 100 lb plates on it, if he knew what they look like, etc.

I felt sorry for him, kinda.

On a side note, a friend of mine just decided he wanted to lift so I have been bringing him with me - I think he might stick with it. I think so many people quit because they really don't know what thye are doing, don't have a routine to do, and they have no motivation. I think my friend, who is as tall as me but pretty skinny, sees me and realizes what he would look like if he added some weight.

smb_69 said:
I think the funniest thing I have ever seen is one guy trying to bench 95LB and he had 2 guys on each side spotting him - where is the camera when you need one.

hey-- I take offense to that- I got stuck under a 120lb bar....:bawling:

(ok... well maybe TWO spotters is overkill...lol)

jenscats5 said:

We have another guy (not a newbie anymore) who stands beside the free weight bench, holds on with one hand & with the other is holding a 45 or 50 lb dumbbell. He then swings his arm up in the air, rising up on his toes -- over & over. One of these days he's going to lose his grip on that weight & hurt someone!! Also, I have no idea what this exercise does.

He's taking some exercise 1890's style. Performing some physical jerks you know for proper physcial hygiene. LOL

smb_69 said:
Shak - 40LB biceps curls (not single handed) is not a trivial weight even for some of us -:)

my point exactly! i don't know what made this kid think he could walk into the gym and curl 40lb right off the bat. some newbies think that if they don't lift heavy (and beyond their means) on their first day, they are going to look weak. so, they struggle with too much weight and are just bound to hurt themselves.

The boy I told about did "curls" with 40lb DBs. First, he jerked the weight up with his shoulder and then brought his elbows quickly forward, so it looked like he had done a full-range curl. Then he almost literally dropped the weight down to the starting position and, of course, made a slight bow, because the DB was so heavy.

The other day I saw him jerking and swaying at a pulley machine, with very heavy weights, naturally. And he does preacher curls with at least 60 lbs, the range of movement being about 15 inches. I wonder if he has asked anyone for any advice. And I'm looking forward to seeing him curtseying with a 176lb bar behind his neck.

oh, you guys not going to believe it.. 5pm... packed jim.. we are trying to get our arms workout done and get out.. This little prick is sitting at the preacher curl bech and talking on the cell phone!!!! we are like - dude, do you have any more sets left?? "yeah, but i need to finish my phone call" Had to pull my gf aside before she smashed his head -:) damn..

Top Bottom