Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

shredded wheat vs. oatmeal?

I'll echo some info:

Shredded wheat is more crunchy, and has more fiber; therefore, when combined with EFA's like all natural peanut butter or flaxseed oil; shredded wheat can do wonders to cut cravings and fill you up.

I really think it all depends on the person, I personally like the taste of oatmeal mixed with 1 scoop. of chocolate tasting protein +1tbsp. of natural peanut butter. But, a lot of people prefer shredded wheat over oatmeal, I can't tell you why, it's certainly a personal decision.

There is really not that much GI difference between the two, so enjoy both or either without worry, my friend.

Mr.X :cool:

i'll add a little to this, i make my oatmeal with 50ml slow cooking oats and instead of water i use egg whites... (the kind you pour out of a carton)... not a lot of difference in taste, a little thicker, depending on how you like your oatmeal, this may not work for you, but to me its great...
people think i'm crazy until they try it :)

iceman11111 said:
Hey Phemomena, your a real sick-o

I tried that once mix oats with egg whits
fuck, I almost puked!!!!!

Wasn't good

I tried to eat it all, but couldn't

Yukkie Yukkie!!!!!!

:p

i like it... but i make it with a very small amount of oats, about 200ml egg whites (about 3/4 of a cup) and add a little maple syrup... got my guy eating it now too... maybe you're just not doing it right :)

The difference in the GI's between the 2 are because of the different types of fiber. Wheat fiber is mostly nonsoluble fiber that does not lower the GI by gelling with other foods in the stomach, rather it acts as a barrier to the enzyme amylase. It does not lower the GI directly. Oat fiber is mostly soluble fiber (and a little of insoluble) that does gel with other foods in the stomach to slow gastric absorption. Another reason why the two foods have identical GI's is because of the Phytic Acid contained within the wheat flour, which is a powerful anti-nutient that helps lower the GI of foods. Shredded wheat is is cereal that has been put through a shredding machine and baked. As to how much the grinding process has destroyed the insoluble fiber barrier I don't know, but the finer the grain/texture, the more that has been destroyed.

MR. BMJ

Top Bottom