Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Push Press v Military Press

Which do you guys prefer?
Advantages v disadvantages?

I use both. Lately I've been doing standing presses until the weight gets too heavy to lift strictly/safely, then I switch to push presses.

I think you should be able to strict press 135-155 before using push presses though.

I use both. Lately I've been doing standing presses until the weight gets too heavy to lift strictly/safely, then I switch to push presses.

I think you should be able to strict press 135-155 before using push presses though.

135-155 for reps of what?

thats interesting though. sometimes when i'm doing military presses i have to go up on my toes to get a little momentum to complete a set. its kinda cheating i know.

Are these two lifts really all that different??

135-155 for reps of what?

thats interesting though. sometimes when i'm doing military presses i have to go up on my toes to get a little momentum to complete a set. its kinda cheating i know.

Are these two lifts really all that different??

I would say 3-8 strict reps. This really doesn't even matter imo. I would just hate to see someone using crazy leg drive to press 95 pounds lol

A little cheating is not bad so long as you are not opening you self up to injury.

When I push press I use quite a bit of leg/hip drive. I tend to dip down into an 1/8 squat and explode the barbell to lockout.

pushpress is also an awesome tricep/lockout exercise. I prefer military presses though, feet together and letting the bar down to upper chest then pressing up strictly. Its awesome but damn hard to increase weight

southernlord
your quote at the bottom of this page.
was this quote directed at the original poster, or are you saying everyone should be using these ammounts of weights?
how big of a guy are you? how much you weigh? there's no way i can press that weight..
thanks

southernlord
your quote at the bottom of this page.
was this quote directed at the original poster, or are you saying everyone should be using these ammounts of weights?
how big of a guy are you? how much you weigh? there's no way i can press that weight..
thanks

I'm not that big bro compared to some of the monsters that lurk this board.

I would suggest hitting your standing presses hard and with strict form. Push press is an advanced exercise imo. If your core strength is not there the potential for injury is huge imo.

southernlord
how big are you?
thanks

5'10" 210ish

Yesterday I trained shoulders and hit 225 for 5 as my last set of push presses with a belt and wrist wraps. This was hard.

I'm far from an advanced athlete/BBer compared to a lot of bros on here.

Top Bottom