Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

pullup progression

JDid23

hey guys.... i was wondering what you guys do/did for pullup progression

on my first set i usually get 7, then it drops to 4-5 regardless of rest, followed by 3 or 4, and down to 2-3.

Would doing something like this be good?

3x5 BW
3x5 + 5 pounds
3x5 + 10 pounds
etc. etc. and don't increase until i get 3x5 with the given weight? I am kind of lost for what to do.

Thanks!

Well, you could add weight or you could increase density. I am sure you've heard of Charles Staley. Well, there was a Coach Hale before Staley who is regarded as THE father of Density Training. He created this protocol to increase your ability to do pull-ups.

You have to do each set at the top of every minute. Therefore, you have to have a stop-watch with you. So, you do the required sets at the top of every minute. for example, in week 1 you have a 20 minute block and 20 sets of 2 rep each. So, you have to do 2 reps at the top of every minute and you take 20 minutes total.

Week 1 = 20 sets x 2 reps @ 20 minutes
Week 2 = 13 sets x 3 reps @ 13 minutes
Week 3 = 10 sets x 4 reps @ 10 minutes
Week 4 = 8 sets x 5 reps @ 8 minutes
Week 5 = 7 sets x 6 reps @ 7 minutes
Week 6 = 6 sets x 7 reps @ 6 minutes
Week 7 = 5 sets x 8 reps @ 5 minutes
Week 8 = 4 sets x 10 reps @ 4 minutes
etc

Look at the pattern. Your time reduces but your reps totally remain around the same: close to 40. The goal was to be able to do 20 pull-ups straight.

I've run this cycle three times thus far. I've only managed to hit Week 5. After that a fatty like me cannot complete the workout.

I hope you find this helpful!

that looks quite interesting dude!!! I honestly really like the look of it. In all honesty, I would love to give that a shot, but @ my gym the only pullup bar is where the cables are so i always have to work in with the douches who do 25-30 rep cable exercises in groups so i don't think that would take 20 minutes lol.

If i ever switch to working out at school (very tempted as a few of my friends lift there, but i don't like lifting there because there are a lot of douchey underclassmen who think they're tough shit and always talk shit at the gym about peoples lifts... Doesn't bother me, just annoying and not the environment i prefer to lift in.) i will give that a shot

for now, would the 3x5 idea be good? Also, is it okay to cross legs? I go full ROM, but i don't like doing it with my feet completely straight and some guy told me i should do them like that.

they look good, but the first one there is no way i can put up those numbers as i am not prioritizing my pullups, and the second one i would do if i had a pullup bar. Didn't get much, if anything for my birthday this year lol... going to ask for an iron gym maybe :)

Also, even though i want to be able to do more pullups, i am looking more for a 1 week progression at the moment.

thanks for the advice though tblock

I have an idea. I'll post in tonight. I think you might like it because it involves weighted pull-ups like you wanted..just different parameters than doing 3x5.

i am beginning to think you should stop doing normal chins for a while, you have made 2-3 reps progress in like 3-4 months while all your other lifts have gotten alot higher. And you havnt gained any bodyweight so obviously your chinning strength has barely increased, maybe try rack chins or pulldowns or something like that?

Or you could do lots of sets of very low reps, like 6x2 or something?

Top Bottom