Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifting and bodybuilding...what's the difference?

In my simplistic definition.......

Powerlifting=strength
Bodybuilding=size

But I'm sure you will get better answers from the pro's here :)

Drifter said:
In my simplistic definition.......

Powerlifting=strength
Bodybuilding=size

But I'm sure you will get better answers from the pro's here :)

that's exactly what I was going to say

Bodybulding is about using weights as a tool to achieve a particular look. The weight used means nothing.

Powerlifting is about using your body as a tool to lift as much weight as possible in 3 different lifts. The way you look means nothing.

Let me just say this if i put the effort that i do into being strong as i would into being big i would be pretty large! But seriusly. Powerlifting you don tleave the gym with huge pumps but you will be pretty sore the next day. You hit a lot deeper fibers lifting heavy then just pumping. Bodybuilding is about gorging the muscle with as much blood as possible. You cant do it with real heavy weight. Now before any of you bodybuilders say i am calling all of thyem weak i am not. There are some really strong BB out there. But just what i have noticed is in my gym there are about 10 or so competitive BB and about 10 to 12 compettive powerlifters and after layoffs its alot more evident the loss in size the BB have then do we. And a 242 BB is not going to be as strong as a 242 equally experinced powerlifter. But most BB don tcare about that. They care care about looks. But ya know all of th epowerlifters i train with care about looks too! But if your one or the other it isn thard to cross over Cause no matter what were all in shape! But like drifter said powerlifting=strength BB =size

So what's a typical training session look like for a powerlifter compared to a BB? Less reps with heavier weights?

Powerlifters= moving as much weight with as little effort as possible.
Bodybuilder=putting as much stress on the muscle as possible through whatever means work for you.

another valid point is that bodybuilders frequently will do powerlifting in order to gain size.....

i am a competitive bodybuilder, but since i love lifting i incorporate a lot of powerlifting principals in my workouts come off season.

everybody is correct.....bb=size....pl=strength.......

but i was a high school athlete and i still love to compete with my partners and push myself to the max to see if i can still squeeze out those high singles.

since bodybuilding is all about size, it doesnt matter how much weight you use. but since more weight equals more muscle i use powerlifting to get stronger. The stronger i get using powerlifting.... the more my muscles grow when i switch to bodybuilding.

powerlifterjay is right...... both should use both..... but focus on the one that helps you excell in your sport.

thanks for the info...but I'm still wondering how a PL's training session looks like. Less reps and more weights than a BB, right? Like maybe 4-6 reps on something like 85% of max?

Well there are a ton of powerlifting routines but as far as reps and sets its about 4 sets (work sets) reps from 5-3-1 depending on how close your getting to the meet. But my rule is when i am off season meaning nothing is on th ehorizon my reps are around 5 to 8, but i will always hit a heavy 5 yr round. But when i start to get ready for specific meet my reps start at 5 and i improve there a smuch as i can. And when i am start to getting some new strength i drop to 3's then 2's. the singles i do i know i can do them but with huge effort. I rarely miss alift in th egym. And basically that is all my lifting, squats are a little different but deadlifts i only pull singles maybe doubles.

Mon chest, shoulder, tris
Tues back
wed off
thurs tri and pulldowns
fri legs.

If your still not clear try going to strength online and go through the archives. that will point you in the righ tdirection. Good luck.

Top Bottom