Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Post workout ?

Frank Sepe

I am currently on a low carb diet(under 100grams daily). I usually have 1/3 of a Powerade after I workout--about 25 grams of sugar, to get an insulin spike and then 20 minutes later have 70 grams of protein.

So do you guys think that I need these carbs to produce the insulin spike, to absorb the nutrients.

Or should I just have the protein shake?

The powerade might be a bad choice of sugar, but I'm not sure. It might not be high enough on the G.I. index. But either way there really is not that much insulin that is going to be produced from 25g of carbs. I would switch the numbers (70g of carbs, 25g protein). When you lift heavy you produce more test. I read somewhere that the more test you have the more glycogen that can be stored. This may explain why people who use test lose a lot of their gains when they go off but maybe I'm wrong.

try 1 g of simple carb per KILO of bodyweight. (fructose, dextrose, honeyetc)
+ fast absorbing protein. (whey , eggwhites)

for what it's worth,i would go w/ more carbs than that post workout...more like 80g...you should not count the carbs you intake after your workout...your body is in desperate need of them right after you burn it up in the gym...this is based on my experiences...:)

I'm with BigAndy69 and sixtthirtyten. You need more carbs IMO. I do no agree with blood_drinker. First, eating fructose doesn't make any sense to me. It enters the blood stream very slowly = no insulin spike. Also, I simply do not get the logic of going below 100g of carbs. It just makes you feel like shit which should tell you that the human body was not meant to operate without those carbs. Feeling like shit all day is definitely not conducive to having quality workouts or wanting to stick with your diet.
Also, like sixtythirtyten said, you need to be careful when you purchase carb drinks. Many have high amounts of fructose which isn't good. They often list sugar as an ingredient along with dextrose (dextrose is glucose), here I believe sugar is fructose-glucose which you don't want. However, some still list fructose-glucose as an ingredient but realize that you mainly want fast-acting carbs and so fill their product with mostly dextrose. I BELIEVE that Gatorade is a good choice but don't quote me on that. I've searched on the net but it really didn't say much other than that it contained mainly dextrose.

After endurance training, your post-workout shake should consist of a 1:4 protein:carb ratio, with at least 20g of protein and 80g of carbs.

After weight training, the ratio changes to 1:3. In the latter case, you should consume approximately 0.5g/kg of protein and 1.5g/kg of carbohydrates.

As the others said, whey protein is ideal to use as a protein. As for carbs, try to aim for the highest possible G.I. (Glycemic Index) carb you can find -- dextrose or maltodextrin if it's readily available. Alternatively, just mix your whey powder with the Powerade (use AT LEAST 1 bottle), although that'll end up tasting like shit (depending on what flavours you use).

Check out http://www.maxsportsmag.com/healthnutrition/issue19/19hn1.htm for more detailed information.

Gentlemen,

There is soem great information given, but what about if your on a below 100g of Carbs, (around 30-40) not necessarily Keto, but close to it. I want to loose fat, so im a bit sceptical about taking in Carbs and Sugars, but i want to keep increasing my mass as well (conflicting diet, i know) so what the best for the post workout insuling spike... how aboput the Pure Pro Recovery Drinks??

Nathan, would you agree if you drink the fructose?
no need to digest then; and if liquid , I thought it entered rather quickly as opposed to something like glucose. Correct me please?

Currently I take honey post workout. I suggested fructose as that has helped me , but now you dont seem to think so. Correct me in this please.

Nathan, I agree however on your view on the carb amount . 100g a day is minimum. Otherwise cut them all out. 150g works perfect for me.

Top Bottom