Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Post Work Out Shake

dschribs

I use Met Rx with Creatine for a post work out shake. Do I need to add some dextrose to this to make it more effective?? Or, what else can I add if I stick with the Met Rx after a work out?
Thanks

Thanks Gymtime.
Do I just go to a healthfood store and ask for dextrose??? How much do you recommend adding to the Met Rx??

Fuck! I knew you were going to ask me that. I know that dextrose is the preferred form of glucose to add to your post-workout shake. It's best for transport, glycogen replenishment, etc... However, I have yet to try it myself, so I'm not real sure on the dosage. Maybe Anthrax or 110% will know some more on that.

I know you can get it in most any health food store, and it's not real expensive. There will likely be dosages on the container. I'd start with that.

Thank for the info. Very helpful. One other thing, I've seen on some posts guys add something called "ALA" to thier post workout drink. . Any idea what this is and what it does???
Thanks again

This is from Cornholio's thread on the Select board:

ALPHA LIPOIC ACID (ALA)

DESCRIPTION

Alpha lipoic acid, (also known as lipoic acid, thioctic acid) is a sulfur-containing vitamin-like antioxidant. Alpha lipoic acid is produced naturally in the body and found in the food sources of liver, brewer’s yeast, and potatoes. Alpha lipoic acid has dual role in human health; it is a powerful antioxidant and is a key component for producing cellular energy. As an antioxidant, alpha lipoic acid is unique in that it is both water- and fat-soluble; thus it can be used throughout the body. It also extends and enhances the effect of other antioxidants, which are used to defend the body against free radical damage. In its metabolic role, alpha lipoic acid is a fundamental coenzyme in two vital reactions that lead to the production of cellular energy (ATP). Alpha lipoic acid was first isolated in 1957, and originally, seemed to be a member of the vitamin B–complex. Alpha lipoic acid would have been the first fat-soluble B vitamin isolated. Most human coenzymes are produced from some of the B-complex vitamins or are themselves vitamins (Passwater, 1995). Alpha lipoic acid is not considered a vitamin, but is termed a "conditionally essential" nutrient. This is because presumably the body can produce sufficient levels or it is acquired in sufficient quantities from food (Murray, 1996). The human body can make enough alpha lipoic acid to prevent a recognizable deficiency disease, though not enough to perform all its functions. The optimal level of alpha lipoic acid varies with each person depending on biochemical differences, lifestyle, exercise and how much oxidative stress they experience. Certain diseases, environmental conditions and age can cause a deficiency in lipoic acid, and thus the body often doesn’t make enough to meet all its metabolic and antioxidant needs.

METHOD OF ACTION

Alpha lipoic acid is involved in the metabolic process of converting carbohydrates into energy. When sugar is metabolized in the production of energy, it is converted into pyruvic acid. The pyruvate is broken down by an enzyme complex that contains lipoic acid, niacin and thiamin. Since the human body tends to have only the minimum amount of alpha lipoic acid to prevent recognizable disease, supplementation may help improve energy metabolism. This is particularly applicable in people with lower than normal levels, for example, individuals with diabetes, liver cirrhosis, heart disease and HIV.

As an antioxidant, since alpha lipoic acid is both water- and fat-soluble it is effective against a broader range of free radicals than vitamin C (water soluble) and vitamin E (fat-soluble). Because of it unique size and chemical structure, lipoic acid has access to virtually the entire body, whereas most antioxidants only protect isolated areas of the body. Inside the cell, alpha lipoic acid is quickly broken down to dihydrolipoic acid, and even more potent free-radical scavenger. Supplementation with lipoic acid wards off scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).

dschribs the best place i have found dextrose from price wise and where i get it is www.supplementdirect.com, just click there and go to "our products" and you will find it, 11 lbs for 10$, i think it is like 77 servings based on 75 gram servings which is 1/3 of a cup.

Top Bottom