Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

plyo's for boxing

fnheadcase

I know one of the best ways for developing speed, quickness, and acuracy is just to hit the bag. But I was wondering if anyone has ever incorporated plyo's to help quickness. Say like using a medicine ball for explosiveness and so forth. Plyos are used for ever other sport I know of, just wondering if anyone has any background or experience with this.

My old boxing coach was big on medicine ball work.A few exercises he had us do were chest passes(w/ and w/o stepping forward with one leg) and torso twists w/ partner(these are where you stand back to back with a partner and quickly twist to the side handing the ball to your partner who then returns it).He claimed these two exercises improved punching power.Another plyo type exercise he had us do was having your partner hold your legs and you did an explosive type push-up going up a flight of stairs.These really seemed to work well.We usually did our plyo-type exercises right before we did sparring, but he never had us do very many sets or reps of these exercises.What I mean is, he never turned these exercises into conditioning exercises.He was all about quick bursts of power instead of endurance.

I think plyos would work for just about any sport as long as you find certain ones that are specific to your sport. Include things that work on foot/hand quickness and leg(knee, ankle, hip) stability to go with the power/explosive training you get from med balls.

:devil:
Hell Yeah! Plyos are great for boxing. Go to www.ringside.com . They have everything you need to get started. Tapes, books, cones and balls. They also have a training facility and incorporate plyos in their program. I now buy all my training equipment from there. Its the highest quality at a great price. I've tried their plyo boxing workout and it kicks ass. Not only do you develop explosive power, you build speed and coordination. I need a few more hours in the day and I would do more boxing workouts.

Top Bottom