Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Peanut Butter- why natural

macho21

When eating peanut butter for calories during bulking, why does it have to be natural peanut butter? Isn't all peanut butter created equal? If not, what are the advantages? Thanks

Most "brand name" peanut butter (i.e., peanut butter that is NOT considered "natural") contains unnecessary sugar and hydrogenated oils...I think...

...neither one being good for the diet - bulking or not...

That's basically correct. Natural peanut butter vs Jif is like a potato vs a french fry. Natural PB is high in GOOD fat, and low in BAD fat, and has fewer REFINED sugars. The naturally occuring sugars found in the peanut are good for you, and are low glycemic. The refined sugars in Jif spike your insulin level, and cause you to store fat and even crave more sugar. It's for the same reason you'd avoid any white sugar. Have you seen the "White Death" thread on the women's board? This may help you to understand why good carbs are still essential for muscle growth, even if you are "just bulking."

I wouldn't considered the hydrogenated fat much in the debate the amount found in peanut butter is quite minute. It doesn't amount to anything really.

Sugars on the other hand, I know vary a bit from brand to brand and I've havn't read any proof either way for the difference in them. I'd lend to agreeing with them because the natural peanut butter has a more peanutty taste while the regular brands are sweeter even if they state the same carb/sugar amount. Something has to be different.

I buy the generic 5IB storebrand container thats not natural, because the others don't come large enough. I really don't think it makes much of a difference but then again I'm 19 and my body is more tolerable of a less than perfect source of fat.

Enock said:
I wouldn't considered the hydrogenated fat much in the debate the amount found in peanut butter is quite minute. It doesn't amount to anything really.

Sugars on the other hand, I know vary a bit from brand to brand and I've havn't read any proof either way for the difference in them. I'd lend to agreeing with them because the natural peanut butter has a more peanutty taste while the regular brands are sweeter even if they state the same carb/sugar amount. Something has to be different.

I buy the generic 5IB storebrand container thats not natural, because the others don't come large enough. I really don't think it makes much of a difference but then again I'm 19 and my body is more tolerable of a less than perfect source of fat.

Aside from tasting the difference, pick up a jar of Smuckers Natty and a jar of Jif and read the labels. Ingredients too, not just the 'facts' part. It's pretty obvious why one is better.

As for things being "pratially hydrogenated" the hydrogenation process requires chemicals and additives, etc...that are harder on you than the fact that it's a fat.

I guess it does vary greatly from brand to brand, I looked at the ingredients of my 5IB tub and the ingredients of the small containers my parents bought when we ran out.

Ingredients on mine were
Peanuts, hydrogenated oil. Thats it

On the smaller containers
Peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated oil, corn syrup, salt

Oddly still both jars still had the same amount of sugar/salt listed on the label.
The label is also the same stat wise on the natural peanut butter we get some times.

(my dad prefers its flavor, so do I but its so damn costly)

USDA STUDY SHOWS TRANS-FATTY ACID IS NON-DETECTABLE IN
PEANUT BUTTER

May, 2001, Arlington, VA -- According to a new study by the United States Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service (USDA/ARS), both natural and commercial brands of peanut butter contain no detectable trans-fatty acids. The study, "Non-detectable Levels of trans-Fatty Acids in Peanut Butter," is published in the May 2001 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

The study examined the fatty acid content of eleven different brands of peanut butter, including Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan and Smuckers, and found no trans-fat in any of the samples. Some peanut butters contain a small amount (approximately 1-2 percent) of partially hydrogenated oil used as stabilizers to prevent oil separation. This produces a smooth and creamy product that most consumers prefer. The amount of trans-fat in peanut butter with 2% stabilizer is less than .0032 g, or 156 times less than what is needed to reach the 0 g trans-fat cut-off.

The study concludes, "Consumption of these products (peanut butter) should, therefore, not be of concern to individuals monitoring trans-fatty acid intake. Natural types and freshly ground peanuts were not found to be different from commercial peanut butters in trans-fatty acid content."

Tim Sanders, PhD, research leader of USDA/ARS, Market Quality and Handling Research Unit located at North Carolina State University, says, "Consumers worried about trans-fats in their diet need not avoid commercial peanut butters."

Much of the confusion about trans-fatty acid in peanut butters occurs because of the way peanut butter is labeled. Most peanut butters contain only three or four ingredients. By law, peanut butter must consist of at least 90% peanuts. In addition, a minimum amount of salt and sugar is usually added for taste, plus about 1-2% stabilizer to improve texture and increase shelf-life.

A trans-fatty acid results when hydrogen is added to unsaturated vegetable oils. This increases shelf life and improves the texture of food products. The hydrogen is added and crosses (trans) the chemical chain, making the fat more solid at room temperature. Trans fats are found in foods like cookies, crackers, baked goods and fried foods. They are also naturally occurring in small amounts in meat and dairy products. Trans fats tend to increase total and LDL cholesterol, and also may decrease HDL (good) cholesterol.

Over 80% of the fat in peanut butter is the cholesterol-lowering, good unsaturated kind, and, as with all plant foods, peanut butter contains no cholesterol. Researchers at Penn State University found that moderate-fat diets with peanuts and peanut butter lowered blood cholesterol levels and was more effective than a low-fat diet in maintaining levels of good HDL-cholesterol and lowering triglyceride levels.

As one of America's favorite foods, we eat more than 800 million pounds of peanut butter each year. Peanut butter was invented around 1890 as a health food for undernourished patients. To this day, peanut butter provides an inexpensive source of plant protein, healthy monounsaturated fats, and an abundance of nutrients like folate, niacin, copper, selenium, zinc, magnesium, and fiber. Peanut products also contain significant amounts of phytosterols thought to protect against heart disease and cancer.

The article can be found in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, (Volume 49, Number 5, pages 2349-2351) Oil Chemists Society. For more information on peanuts and peanut butter in healthy diets, visit www.peanut-institute.org

Hey everbody

After reading that peanut butter can be a good thing in your diet ive decided to add it into mine, i already have some peanut butter but am not sure weather it has hydrogenated oil in it or not, but it does say it has peanuts, vegetable oil, salt. Does that mean the vegetable oil will be the hydrogenated stuff?

Thanks

Top Bottom