Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

One side growing bigger than the other!

Corsaire

Folks,
I need some feedback if you would, about something weird happening to my upper body:
The right side seems to grow bigger than my left side (shoulder, arm, forearm), I wonder why is this? The difference is not that great but enough to notice that the right side is bit more massive.
I do everything that appears to be right, dumbell press, bench press, etc, etc, using the same weight on each arm. However after my workout the right shoulder and arm seem to get all the pump and effort, I can even feel it, the right side feels more pumped than the left side, even the vascularity is more intense on the right arm (!?)
I'm perplexed as to why is this happening? Could it be a genetic imbalance, skeleton wise, or am I doing something wrong???
I've been trying to put more effort on the left side (weight wise)to try to compensate for this, by for example, when doing Arnold's shoulder presses I lift 45 lbs. on the left arm (smaller arm) and 40 lbs. on the right arm,
Do you folks think this would help???
Please, I'll appreciate any good will feedback!
Brian :)

Last edited:
A lot of you out there could use a good quality physical therapist. one that works with ATHLETES, not the ones who help granny after her little accident cheat the insurance company

they will figure this stuff out and help you correct the issues

I couldnt tell you the science behind it, and Im sure there are several variables that could cause uneven development. I have one side bigger than the other too. Most probably do to some extent. My left arm is usually always smaller than my right. Sometimes by 1/2 and inch, sometimes maybe even 3/4. Theres been times when it caught up and it was pretty even, and I think at one point the smaller arm was bigger than my larger arm. One of my traps and lats is also larger than the other. I believe because I have some crookedness in my spine, possibly from birth the doc said, and 6 ruptured discs I did myself lifting, maybe more now.

If you are a starting lifter than this is something that may correct itself by just training normally. The weaker side will tend to compensate by fighting to keep up with the stronger side, most likely. Mostly on barbell exercises and movements that share the same bar. With dumbbells its possible for one side to fail before the other, though I dont know if your issue is at that level. This is true with any machine that has individual arms as well. I had issues where Id have one side of the barbell lower than the other and unbalanced when I benched early on. It also creeped up way later when I had shoulder injuries, etc. One side had more explosive accelerating and power since the joint had more freedom, I believe.

I would use the same weight for both sides. Otherwise your imbalance may reverse as the weaker side gets stronger than the side that is now dominant. The body will most likely try to keep up with the stronger side and work its way up. As far as size gains go, once you get large enough it wont really be visually noticable if one arm is 1/2 and inch smaller or 3/4 , like with me. Its more noticable with less size. Unless it is some massive imbalance I wouldnt worry about it and just train normally.

KILL THAT SHIT !!

One side of your body will always be dominant and larger then the other. It's just how our central nervous system is set up. You can try to minimize it as much as possible, but one side will always be dominant.

Ontop of doing unilateral movements and using Dumbbells so each side of the body works equally, regularly see a chiropractor. Each of our limbs have slightly different lengths and this will be exaggerated by slightly tilted hips and a axial skeleton. A chiropractor will help keep things in a balance and symmetrical.

Stop whacking off so much!... Haha sorry I knew some one was going to say it I thought id be the first.. I have the same problem too bud my righ bicep is bigger left side of my chest is noticeably bigger and I hate it I get pissed off every day about it same with my left trap it's bigger then my right.. Traps due to separated clavicle that I can't have fixed without surgery chest is due to cracked sternum and separated clavicle and right arm is just more dominant.. I also have a mild case of scoliosis that I've had probably since birth.. I found out in middle school and I really want to start going to a chiropractor because I'm sure it's just getting worse...

Same here; I (Think) because my left hand and arm have been my foundation, as I used my right hand to twist, turn, etc. My left Bicep was much bigger than my right, no matter what I did. And because I thought I would be able to body-build for life (not just to get muscles and look good, but for health and longevity), I did this: All I did was to start each bicep alternate curls with my right and finish with my right.
I believe it's not right to use, say 50 lbs for my left bi, and 60 for my right, to help it catch up. I figured with another 40 years or so of this (at that time), it would MAYBE catch up considerably. I still think it would've worked, but honestly, my left bicep is just too easy to respond, I'd never catch up on the right bicep.

Top Bottom