Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

One rep max calculators and how to use them

SteveMobsterG

EF Logger
You live and learn. Usually by raw experience :D

So, for many a year, I've been the kind of lifter who can do multiple singles with 90-95% of my 1 rep max. However, simple aging combined with wear, tear and the occasional injury seems to have changed that recently.

Just last week I was pulling - double over hand and thumbless grip on a 2-inch thick bar - multiple singles with 205-kilos / 451lbs. This week I started getting back spasms. A warning sign for a full blown injury I can ill afford with a competition in 4 weeks time.

I upped the stretching I need to do. Then I went online and used one of the more popular 1 rep max calculators. Now there's two ways of using one:

Working out your 1 rep max when you use a volume approach.

Or

Putting in your 1 rep max and seeing what reps you need to do without hitting too high a percentage. And, as above, that's what I needed to do.

So, I'd like to hit at least 215-kilos/473lbs for a single (maybe as much as 235-kilos/517lbs). I put in the numbers and it threw up that to hit 215-kilos (so 100% or my 1RM target) I'd need to pull 180-kilos/396lbs or so x 5 reps.

Following stretching after some close grip bench and a set or three of pulldowns I did a LOT of stretching. Then I warmed up and all the intermediate sets were 5's. 170-kilos x 5 reps, 175-kilos x 5 reps and then a final balls out set of 180-kilos x 7 (nice) reps. Given I'd been worried about putting my sorry ass on my back for a week I was well happy. Pushing my belly out against my belt and holding my breath between reps as well as setting the weight down between each seemed to help a lot (I'd noticed that when I last hurt my back it had been too much time under tension and I'd been doing that recently).

BTW: 180-kilos x 7 reps = 217-kilos And I've three weeks to go. Sweet!

I think these are a good tool but can really over/under calculate things. I can always lift way more then my 1RM calculations dictate.

Same thing with basic metabolic rate calculators etc, they will get you in the ball park area but aren't perfect

I think these are a good tool but can really over/under calculate things. I can always lift way more then my 1RM calculations dictate.

Same thing with basic metabolic rate calculators etc, they will get you in the ball park area but aren't perfect

I've always pulled 5% on the platform - Adrenalin baby

Top Bottom