Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Muscle memory, stress, depression...

Gurps88

Hi all,

Been lurking around on here for a long time soaking up knowledge and experiences - thought I'd finally make my first post, sorry if it's long.

My stats are: 6'0, 82kg, BF: approx 20%, 26 years old.

Starting around 10 years ago I trained for 4 years (3 years serious training), using 3 & 5 day bodybuilding splits - I never really did any cardio or watched diet due to ignorance being young as I was only interested in heavy weights. Across that time, I gained and peaked at 94kg and believe I was down to around 15% BF as my love handles were disappearing slowly and I could finally see a tiny bit of my upper abs.

In my 4th year (Age 20), I got involved in a family business as a partner - this became a big commitment & part of my life for the next 5 years. In my first 6 months I slowly tapered off training - just not finding time to go due to working 70-80 hours per week as 3rd family member pulled out. I couldn't just get up & leave as this would have put me in a very difficult position at home.

So within the first 6 months I'd pushed gym away from my priorities, my diet became odd meals - mainly under-eating and then binging at other times, no real time for myself anymore. Skip forward to the 4th year and the business was under serious financial hardship, having to sell personal possessions to pay bills just before I managed to sell and escape. I was under serious stress & last year got diagnosed with clinical depression due to the financial state the business left me in.

I'm still paying for it so still have the stress there but really want to start lifting again as I feel it will ease my mind as otherwise sometimes I sit around and spiral into depressing thoughts.

The only problem I have is, I'm lacking the motivation to go, because I don't feel like I'll ever get back the physique I had then. I feel skinny fat, but my friends say I still look like I lift because of chest/shoulder development, V taper back. Feels like gym anxiety?

My nutrition is also in check now - currently approx 2500-3000cals: 30p/50c/20f
Consists of mainly bro foods - I suffer from heart burn/indigestion a lot so like to keep it simple with ingredients.

So finally my question, will muscle memory play a role in making gains - or will it be like starting from scratch again?

I know the strength won't be there at all but will anything come back?

Thanks everyone, and apologies for ranting on - never really shared this with anyone before.

Looking forward to the responses..

Hi gurps, welcome to the EF forums! Sounds like you have had a very rough schedule over the past few years, combined with that financial strain due to the business. I truly hope that you can find the time to hit the gym again. There's no really set formula for muscle memory and I believe genetics plays some role. However, there have been many people who've regained their size/strength after years of not lifting, so I think you'll benefit from muscle memory. The strength will probably come back quicker than the lean muscle though.

Here's a thread where we talked about motivation a little while back.

You're how old? 26? You're pretty much infallible at that age. Your metabolism should still be high and your recovery is much better than someone much older, like myself. What do you want out of training? Ripped abs? Mass? Strength? People train and make progress into and past their 80s. So relax, time is on your side.

Hey mate,

I undertand your schedule has been packed and all that. I would advice you to start again slowly training and increase your protein intake; a good split would be (55%p, 35% carbs, 10% fats).. Also control your cals around 2250-2500 so you can drop some of the bodyfat slowly.. A good tip is to start every workout with light cardio 5-10 minutes to get your blood flowing in the muscles, will allow you to avoid injuries and help you with your training after that... Muscle memory will kick in after around two weeks of working out and that includes getting decent strength back from the old days, and ofcourse some size faster than a complete newbie.. Goodluck, and rest assured that all your gainz and more will come back at you after some time !!!

Top Bottom