Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

muscle increase while dieting

Sure it is POSSIBLE to gain muscle while losing fat. Not just in theory, but in practice. It is not so much to do with training experience as it has to do with how close an individual is to there "set point' of bodyfat. As an example you can take an Olympic heavyweight powerlifter who is, say, 25%BF. She is 25%bf because all that matters to her is strength, so she eats all she wants (plus a bit more for good measure) and trains like a mofo. If you put her on a moderate, well planned diet that is 5% below her AMR, there is a good chance that she can continue to increase in strength and muscle mass while losing fat. This has a lot to do with leptin levels/leptin sensitivity and varies hugely from one person to the next. So this chick diets for a while, and reaches her own 'set point' for bodyfat. She actually drops a couple percent below her setpoint before leptin levels drop and her body realizes that there is a calorie deficit. At this point muscle gains stop, though fatloss may continue at a reduced rate. If she continues dieting below this point then she risks losing some muscle mass, even with anabolics….

Which leads me to my next comment on this very excellent thread. Many terms are used very loosely on these boards. Anabolic and catabolic are prolly the two most misused IMHO. We also need to think of muscle growth/loss in terms of ANTI catabolic or ANTI anabolic, and many other shades of gray in between. Technically speaking Vageta is correct to view muscle gain while dieting as two steps forward and one step back. This is because in normal folks not taking AS, muscle growth absolutely requires catabolic processes. This is otherwise known as the Calpain/Calpistatin system of protein turnover and is hugely important for muscle growth. To put it another way you have to catabolize muscle in order to remodel and build new muscle. The known exceptions to this include the now infamous Myocin D mutants of double-muscled Belgian Blue cattle and the rare human genetic freaks such as Flex Wheeler (and many more I'll bet). It also includes many folks on anabolic steroids since it appears that anabolic steroid's main anti-catabolic effects are through the calpain/calpistatin system. An irrelevant side note is that (so far) all attempts to increase LBM in cattle and sheep have shown that you inevitably get tougher meat whether or not they are genetic mutants of MyoD, or you give them anabolic steroids (euphomistically called growth promoters in the meat industry). So the take home message is that it would be tough to eat the likes of Flex.

Coming back to the original question, you can gain muscle while losing fat to a certain extent without too much difficulty. Beyond that point you need some clever dietary and training manipulation. The more "in touch" with your body the easier this is. This thread is already too long to even begin with the details. But I assure you it has a lot to do with manipulating calories, macronutrient ratios, training intensity and frequency blah blah blah and it also varies from person to person. If you choose not to use ergogenic supplements then you really have to dial it in very precisely.

OH one last thought for jeus…… There is no doubt that strength can increase without an increase in muscle mass as Vageta said. This is yet another reason why all those tiny folks in Olympic powerlifting can move such huge weights in proportion to their bodyweight. It had a lot to do with the neurological ability to recruit maximal muscle fiber for a single lift (ie increase strength by working the brain).

Exactly how is it possible to become stronger without muscle gains? Neurons adaption to heavier weights only works if muscles are bigger so that they can lift them

Ok it works like this...let's say that in your biceps you have 500 000 muscle fibres. Now, let's say you do a set of bicep curls you may only use 250 000 fibres. But then, the next time you do it due to neural adaptations you're able to recruit more muscle fibres (say 270 000)

Therefore you can increase the weight without an increase in muscle fibre size (hypertrophy) or number (hyperplasia)...

Well I read the article and it seems to back up what I and a few others were saying. You don't have to be in ketosis to burn fat. All that article said was that to burn fat you need oxygen. Well eating, sleeping, sitting, living... it all requires oxygen. Life is aerobic though not in the form we think of.

" If you are engaging in a long-term low intensity activity, such as walking, this allows aerobic metabolism to proceed and therefore your body utilizes fatty acids as well as carbohydrates for fuel. "

This mentions nothing about ketosis so it about sums up my arguement.

I will reiterate my stance that we burn fat all day long. Our body will favor glycogen of course, but it will switch to fat eventually. Also remember we are talking about ingested fat not stored fat. So long as you are in a negative or netural caloric balance you will burn every ounce of fat you ingest, regardless if you're in ketosis or not. If you are in a positive calorie balance then you will of course store any extra fat ingested, or if the extra calories are from protein or carbs they will be converted to fat. The latter is actually better because the conversion from either of these two sources will burn up energy in the process. Especially the protein. Therefore when bulking get lots of extra protein as less will ultimately convert to fat.

To burn stored fat one must only be in a negative calorie balance. Once your body realizes it doesn't have enough energy to sustain itself it will mobilize fat stores and begin burning them. It can also burn muscle but of course we are trying to prevent that as much as possible.

So is overfeeding/huge protein intake necessary for hyperplasia or hypertophy too? I'm a beginner, relatively, but I'm reluctant to gain a lot of weight to bulk out of fear of just getting fat.

Yes you must be in a hypercaloric state to build muscle, it doesn't appear out of thin air. This is the reason many ectomorphs can't put on muscle. They "think" they eat alot, when in reality they are only eating enough to sustain weight.

Again there is a phenomenon for new lifters to be able to put on new muscle even when in a hypocaloric state, however I don't beleive to this day there is an actual explanation for it. Just some theories.

So if you aren't a beginner or aren't using AS then you MUST eat more calories than you burn to build muscle. Try to get the extra calories in the form of protein as this is the nutrient that is used for the muscle. Also how many extra calories determines the rate at which you can build muscle. Eating 50 extra calories a day isn't going to allow you to put on 10 pounds of muscle in 12 weeks. Generally you want to shoot for a 1 pound a week gain so 500 calories a day extra. Some of this gain will most likely be fat but nonetheless you will put on some muscle in the process.

Yeah but vageta, there's one part in the article that explains the conditions the body has to go through for fat loss...it doesn't happen just sitting around, the body has to be put under certain amounts of stress for certain periods, or so I gather from what I read. It states that fat is burned through aerobic metabolism.

"The amount of fat you burn also depends upon what type of activity you are performing (for example, sprinting vs. walking), how long you are engaging in the activity, and what kind of shape your body is in. If you are engaging in a long-term low intensity activity, such as walking, this allows aerobic metabolism to proceed and therefore your body utilizes fatty acids as well as carbohydrates for fuel."

there's a link at the bottom of that page which I posted here.

http://external.aomc.org/HOD2/fitness/AerobicMetabolism.html

basically it explains aerobic metabolism, and brings into play the "target heart rate" for fat burning that some people like to shun these days. So going by these facts, it looks to me like the body doesn't burn fat all day long, but will only burn it through aerobic metabolism, and the body can't reach this sort of metabolism unless certain conditions are met..Or maybe I'm missing something.

Burning, well at least I understand what your arguement is now. I will agree that certain conditions will favor fat loss more than others. As in a specific heart rate will target fat more than a faster or slower heart rate. So in effect the body won't burn fat at every single waking minute. I believe you took my statement 100% literally when I meant it in a general way.

I will narrow down my statement and say the body is fully capable of burning fat all day long if conditions are favorable, none of which require ketones to be present. My main arguement was that so long as you are in a hypocaloric state you basically cannot store any ingested fat as it will be burned off before it gets a chance to.

If you were only to do weight training and no aerobics, and were in a hypocaloric state at all times, it would be impossible under these circumstances to store fat. The only exception is if you ingested all of your daily calories in one meal. Then of course you won't burn it off fast enough thus it will be stored. However since you won't get any food the rest of the day it will be forced to burn off what was already stored and then some. That is an extreme example and most of us aren't going to be in that situation.

And again if you couldn't burn fat this easily then diets like iso-caloric and zone ones that have up to 33% of their calories in fat simply wouldn't work. In fact they work quite well especially when a one day refeed, aka carb up, is followed to keep leptin levels up. With this refeed I believe these diets are just as effective as keto diets with a bit less extremity.

OK i got ya. yeah i did take the burning fat all day long thing literally.

Top Bottom