Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Loosing my dad to alcoholism.... help me motivate him to get in shape

But true to what the other guys are saying. I never turned my back on my pops - right up until the day he died. Just cause he did H didnt change my respect for him. I wished better for him - but that strugle was his.

Talk to him, and let him know you are concerned about his health, and let him know you are willing to help him. Point out that he will feel much better, and have a lot of healthy years ahead of him if he makes some changes now.

badslinky said:
Im gonna be honest... I had an abuse problem a number of years ago and the only thing that fixed it was myself when I realized everyone had given up around me. Nothing you can do but get him maybe into rehab but I think thats a total waste of time.

Me too. Get him to a meeting first. He has to want to help himself. I basically lost my 20's because I was wasted all the time.

Its the right thing your doing trying to get him help. i lost my dad 3 years ago to pancreatic cancer. I fight my own personal demons everyday cause of this. You can try to put his foot in the door. But after that hes going to want to have to do it. Hope that you find what your looking for. =0)

Good Morning

Guess what I am the same person as your dad, but I am only 56,

E-mail me any time,

If you can get him to an AA meeting when he is sober,

that is a start and also often a solution,

you should try Alon (spelling) meetings for yourself,

those are AA meetings for family and friends of alcoholics

I understand your dad and feel for him, but if he is still breathing he can live and live well, but he can’t quit by himself, the only thing I have found is AA

When I wasn’t in jail for possession, drunkenness, or concealed weapons I was usually drunk day and night.
Everyone gave up on me too, even the cops,

then one day, some guy drove me to a meeting and let me lose, they grabbed me, and it has been one day at time ever since.

Solidspine

PS

I am three weeks in to, probably my twentieth cycle, since 1997

He is probably dealing with a deeper issue than alcoholism. Alcoholism is a symptom of more deep seated problems. Alcoholics find that alcohol fixes there problem and makes them feel all good inside but when you drink too much, too often and for too long of a time eventually alcohol will no longer work like it used to and that is when they hit bottom. Two choices are in the mind of a drunk at the bottom of his drinking days the easy road often taken drink themselves to death or B seek help. You cant make your dads choices for him. But I agree that you need to tell him you are concerned and scared to lose him and the fact that you are dealing with all this hurts you and is causing you depressed feelings, loss of sleep, whatever and if he would help himself that would make your life all that better.

In case you are wondering yes I have gone through the twelve steps and yes they do work if you work them and yes AA does have the answer and no you do not have to believe in god as I do not at all. It teaches you to see the world without all the insanity thinking we all have. Enouh said about that but I do know a thing or two about addictions. Kicked the habit of alcohol, pain killers and nicotine.

Good luck Man

Dieselicious said:
But true to what the other guys are saying. I never turned my back on my pops - right up until the day he died. Just cause he did H didnt change my respect for him. I wished better for him - but that strugle was his.

Well Said!!!!!!!!

thanks for the pointers guys, i have yet to sit down with him and try and confront him about it, hes really really hard to talk to about anything along these lines. And i think he hates me because im in shape and i make him jellous, he always talks about how useless he is and tied but its from the drinking, i dont know how he can be so stupid about it. it really is frustrating....

Top Bottom