Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Locking knees on calf raises

D

Debaser

Got into an argument with a personal trainer today, he was telling me that you shouldn't lock your knees when doing calf raises.

I said that if your knees bend, you're placing more of the stretch on the achilles tendon rather than the calves. You can test this out yourself by stretching your foot back both ways.

Am I right? I don't see why locking the knees would be bad. In fact, it seems like the proper way to do it.

To me it seems safer, because by locking the knees you are effectively *not* loading them with weight, the load-bearing is transfered to the ankle. If your structure isn't dysfunctional it shouldn't be a problem.

But again, I could be wrong.

Biomechanically, as the knee bends more weight shifts to the soleus, which typically bodybuilders don't like as much as the gastroc.

However, with respect to safety, I have no idea. I lock mine out just because if I don't they wobble all over the place, and that's probably even WORSE for my joints.

I bend my knees slightly. Locking my knees always seems more dangerous to me, just stresses them more. But then my body is all fucked up, too.

casualbb said:
Biomechanically, as the knee bends more weight shifts to the soleus, which typically bodybuilders don't like as much as the gastroc.

When you bend your knees it works the "OTHER" calf muscle. There are 2 in each leg. One which is used dominantly when your knees are bent, and one when they are locked or nearly locked. When your knees are locked, the one which makes the more diamond look in the calf is worked. Just look at your calf muscles flexed during locked knee, and unlocked knee.

Top Bottom