Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lessons in Neurotransmitters - please add...

win19 said:
Well, one difference between those two is that Principles of Neurology appears to delve into the more technical or theoretical aspects. The other book is aimed at a more basic audiance and does not give an in-depth analysis (one can even see that comparing the number of pages: 304 pgs. vs. 1384 pgs). However, since I haven't read Principles of Neurology I can't create a direct comparision of the two, but I'm almost sure it would be dissimilar. I'm sure that must be a good book. The cover of Edge Effect indeed claims to: "Reverse or prevent Alzheimer's, aging, memory loss, weight gain, sexual dysfunction and more". We know that is in fact, already possible, without any books. Maybe there can be found flaws in the book, but as far propaganda is concerned, I would be interested to see specifically what that propaganda is, unless that was a premature dismissal.

From the book itself, "... A proven program to reverse and prevent aging...".

Now we already know that aging cannot be reversed.

Since the book purports to have a program to reverse aging (notice conjunction "and", not "or" in the above book quotation), and given that aging is a natural irreversible biological process, the natural conclusion would to be to call such a book propaganda. "Principles of Neurology", now on it's 8th edition, is a classic text in its field, and will be for decades to come.

I have a personal bias against all this 'new age' and what have you stuff that's been hitting the market over the past few years. They're about as reliable as the "Loose 20 pounds in two weeks without diet OR excercise!" books. But the american people eat this stuff up, always looking for an easy way out, thus the market for such material continues to propagate.

:cow:

samoth said:
From the book itself, "... A proven program to reverse and prevent aging...".

Now we already know that aging cannot be reversed.

Since the book purports to have a program to reverse aging (notice conjunction "and", not "or" in the above book quotation), and given that aging is a natural irreversible biological process, the natural conclusion would to be to call such a book propaganda. "Principles of Neurology", now on it's 8th edition, is a classic text in its field, and will be for decades to come.

I have a personal bias against all this 'new age' and what have you stuff that's been hitting the market over the past few years. They're about as reliable as the "Loose 20 pounds in two weeks without diet OR excercise!" books. But the american people eat this stuff up, always looking for an easy way out, thus the market for such material continues to propagate.
:cow:

I see. You may have misunderstood what the book means by reverse or prevent, it is in the sense of slowing down that process, which is something one would know who has read it: "There's no way around it---you begin aging the moment you're born, and the process doesn't stop until you die. But the problems we associate with aging are in large part the result of declines in our body's production of hormones as we grow older, and the problems that these cause for our body's electrical signals..." (Ibid, p. 162). Especially note: "there's no way around it". So he is well aware of that well-known fact. You can partially reverse or prevent the aging process (or processes thereof) but only in the sense of slowing it down, but to eliminate it or annihilate it completley never was a claim made by this book. It is too linear to think that because the word 'reverse' occurs equates to a total reversal being meant. And "or" is used on the actual cover. And I am unaware of that cited quote ("and") appearing anywhere on the cover, backside, or near those, or in the book anywhere. So the claim seems to have been instigated by website. I can understand your skepticism towards books with claims of health that may seem simplistic, but there is useful knowledge that can be gathered here. I'm sure I can learn things in Edge Effect that I can't in Principles of Neurology and likewise! Guaranteed. Because I have done it over and over again, through thousands of science and medical articles, patents and hundreds of science and various books. These type of books are also here to excite people about positive changes that can impact their lives, not everyone likes papers of bibliographies and references. Some people don't have the time to read lengthy scientific texts, yes that might be sad, but whatever works. Although I certainly don't mind any of those. And for me it's good to get a break from those with books like these, while still being written by a professional (in this case a medical doctor with practical experience and knowledge, inside the cover is stated: "The programs described in this book are based on medical research and neuroscience, but are not a substitute for personalized medical care and advice").

Top Bottom