Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lessons in Neurotransmitters - please add...

nycgirl said:
I'm definitely interested. Is there a way to deal with the deficiencies without using drugs?

Yes, and there is a book that may interest you. The Edge Effect by Eric Braverman (2004). Braverman categorizes personalities into neurotransmitter dysfunctions or deficiencies. For example, being deficient in the following transmitters: dopamine (the loner; the procrastinator); acetylcholine (the eccentric; perfectionist); GABA (unstable personality; drama queen), serotonin (self-absorbed; rule breaker) and mentions strategies aimed at those among other things. Aside mentioning drugs, also discussed are constructed diets aimed at increasing the neurotransmitters (e.g. tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine).

WOW, thanks for recommending the book.

Is it possible to ever find the right balance? Can you take something (drug, supp)? Does genetics determine our deficiencies and we should just deal with that?

nycgirl said:

Is it possible to ever find the right balance? Can you take something (drug, supp)? Does genetics determine our deficiencies and we should just deal with that?

Depending on the cause, some deficiencies can be temporary; stress, poor nutrition and some prescription drugs can do this.

A few years back, I decided to go on Accutane for mild acne that wouldn't clear; I was in my late 20's. Long story short, a 2nd dosing regime of Accutane totally messed up my system, and I had an acute onset of depression. My doc put me on a pretty high dose of Effexor (an SNRI), in an attempt to kick-start my serotonin production again. After 9 months, I went off----and this was a year ago. I was 100% sure I'd never feel the same way I did pre-Accutane, but I now do, everyday. That Accuatne is a nasty, nasty rx drug---but that's another story altogether.

I've found a few studies on diet and neurotransmitters; one decribed the high efficacy of various B-complex vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acids (which I now take daily, of course. :) )

Interesting thread!

nycgirl said:

I would say that the "right balance" comprises of that state where someone who exhibits the symptoms and evidences of a transmitter deficiency, namely "feels better". Genetics - we all have them, they are an interaction between us and our environment.We can influence our genetics by lifestyle, behavior and of course what we consume. But anyways, an example where genetics plays an obvious role, is in phenylketonuria (PKU) there is a deficiency of an enzyme (phenylalanine 4-monooxygenase) that metabolizes phenylalanine to tyrosine, which if it is not paid attention to can progress to cause brain damage due to the excess build-up of the amino acid. Consequently, untreated PKU sufferers have shown lower tyrosine levels. The things we do also impacts our transmitter levels - deficient or excess: Exercise, sex, drugs, alcohol, food, music - all increase dopamine and endorphins. People who are hypersexual are high in dopamine (like some drugs cause in treatments for people suffering from Parkinson's disease, or people who just boink too much).

Depressed people have been found to have low serotonin (but it is not the sole factor), that's why there's the drugs used to treat depression, one type known as "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors" (SSRIs) -- which allow a better use of serotonin. In schizophrenia there are excess levels of dopamine seen (whereas overstimulation of the dopamine receptors is a thought of etiology of schizophrenia, read: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/97/14/7673). I remember this Swiss guy I knew who was taking medication for his schizophrenia, yet here he was juggling three girlfriends (none of them knew about each other, I even saw one of them wrapped around a blanket once) and doing drugs. There is also a link between recreational drugs and schizophrenia, one of the drugs I know this guy was doing was cannabis, consequently long-term cannabis use (he was in his 30s) can increase the risk of schizophrenia: Chronic cannabis abuse raises nerve growth factor serum concentrations in drug-naive schizophrenic patients. J Psychopharmacol. 2003 Dec;17(4):439-45. Jockers-Scherubl MC, Matthies U, Danker-Hopfe H, Lang UE, Mahlberg R, Hellweg R. Excess stress is known to deplete neurotransmitters, we influence our mind, e.g.: "Not surprisingly, alterations of 5-HT receptor activity have been shown to occur in many psychiatric diseases including anxiety, depression, eating disorders, schizophrenia, personality disorders, and many drug-induced psychotic states." (Multiple serotonin receptors: clinical and experimental aspects. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 1994 Jun;6(2):67-78. Roth BL). Recreational drugs also affect neurotransmitters, like MDMA (ecstasy) which yields long-term serotonin reductions (Recreational use of "ecstasy" (MDMA) is associated with elevated impulsivity. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1998 Oct;19(4):252-64. Morgan MJ). Like already mentioned above, nutrients play a significant role, e.g. folic acid is used to produce serotonin and dopamine (you can read more on folic acid, nutrition and neurotransmitters here: Can nutrient supplements modify brain function? Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun;71(6 Suppl):1669S-75S). People suffering from depression for example, have been found to have low folic acid. So deficiencies can certainly have a nutritional aspect.

You can take drugs, and although he does recommend them also, Braverman makes a good point in that book: "Learning to make better dietary choices based on your nature can help you maintain better, balanced health, but you won't see changes in a matter of minutes, as you do with medication, or in a matter of days, as is the case with hormones. Altering your nature through diet requires weeks. But diet is far gentler on your body, supports your body's natural mechanisms for neurotransmitter production, and results in a stable, long-term balance." (Ibid, p. 37). Additionally, drugs aren't necessarily much better than a more natural approach, for example, in a double-blind study comparing the SSRI fluvoxamine to 5-HTP (precursor to serotonin) in depressive patients there was found a significant and almost equal reduction in depression (A functional-dimensional approach to depression: serotonin deficiency as a target syndrome in a comparison of 5-hydroxytryptophan and fluvoxamine. Psychopathology. 1991;24(2):53-81. Poldinger W, Calanchini B, Schwarz W). Finally, as we see, genetics alone do not determine nor control our deficiencies or excesses. And a knowledge of the genes that do carry great potential predispositions, does us little good until we find those, the potentials get tested to see if they actually have them, and then apply the respective method of an available treatment strategy. Until then all things in moderation, don't fry your brain with drugs and alcohol, and feed yourself right.

win19 said:
People who are hypersexual are high in dopamine...In schizophrenia there are excess levels of dopamine seen

MAN! No wonder all my crazy girlfriends were oddly enough the best in bed.

Science yields yet another perfect explanation. ;)

velvett said:

From the website about the book posted,

"Book Description

A proven program to reverse and prevent aging that will be a must-have for all “baby boomers,” by a leading figure in the medical field and a frequent guest on national TV.
"

Ummmmmmmmmmm..... bullshit.

You want to read a real book on neurology? Try Ropper and Brown's "Principles of Neurology", http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00..._1/104-8419519-4841530?_encoding=UTF8&s=books.

That is what is called a real book, and not propaganda by those saying they have "A proven program to reverse and prevent aging".

HTH

:cow:

samoth said:
From the website about the book posted,

"Book Description

A proven program to reverse and prevent aging that will be a must-have for all “baby boomers,” by a leading figure in the medical field and a frequent guest on national TV.
"

Ummmmmmmmmmm..... bullshit.

You want to read a real book on neurology? Try Ropper and Brown's "Principles of Neurology", http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00..._1/104-8419519-4841530?_encoding=UTF8&s=books.

That is what is called a real book, and not propaganda by those saying they have "A proven program to reverse and prevent aging".

HTH
:cow:

Well, one difference between those two is that Principles of Neurology appears to delve into the more technical or theoretical aspects. The other book is aimed at a more basic audiance and does not give an in-depth analysis (one can even see that comparing the number of pages: 304 pgs. vs. 1384 pgs). However, since I haven't read Principles of Neurology I can't create a direct comparision of the two, but I'm almost sure it would be dissimilar. I'm sure that must be a good book. The cover of Edge Effect indeed claims to: "Reverse or prevent Alzheimer's, aging, memory loss, weight gain, sexual dysfunction and more". We know that is in fact, already possible, without any books. Maybe there can be found flaws in the book, but as far propaganda is concerned, I would be interested to see specifically what that propaganda is, unless that was a premature dismissal.

Top Bottom