Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Journal- Improving my deadlift without deadlifting: A four-week experiment

I read your link and what I'm doing is the Russian deadlift as described in the article. It would seem to me that that would be much more useful as a dl assist than going MUCH lighter just to go far beyond where the back would be during any point of a conventional dl or squat.

I didn't even realize that GMs are done that deep! Looks as though any challenging weight would present some danger...

Russian Deads are where it is at for powerlifting or strongman. As a rule I generally try to stay away from lifting aids (straps, belts, shirts, etc). But I would consider utilizing a belt if you regularly use on during your main lifts. Just another tool to help focus your attention on using your abdominals.

Good mornings (as described in the article) are more of a flexibility / range of motion excercise. Load is not the focus. Excellent for working out kinks and letting you know weak points, need for stretching, or as a pre-hab/deload component.

Week 3

FRIDAY

Dl off two plates 5x5: 365 for 4 sets then completely stalled on fifth- not even 1 rep :(
Push press 1x5: 185 (pr)
Pullups 5x5: bw

Comments:

-I got a bit impatient today. Things got messed up because I broke my (brand new) mp3 player while warming up with power cleans- it flew out of my pocket and hit the ground pretty hard. I haven't lifted w/out music for years. It threw me off to be sure. Plus I just wasn't ready for 365 for volume yet. I'll get it next time.

-The Cubs beat the Cardinals right before my PR attempt on push press so that helped :)

-I stretched today for the first time in a long time. I really need to make flexibility a priority as it has disappeared of late. My hams and low back are TIGHT! I used a foam roller and some deep static stretching post-workout and I feel good considering the grueling nature of my dl session.

Sorry bout the MP3 player. Hope it wasn't an expensive iPod. I've never lifted with music, seems kinda distracting. On the other hand, I think it's an open invite for people to come up and chit-chat. As well as having to listen to that heinous gym music that makes me want to bust out the white guy shuffle.

I too did 365 for 1 x 5 off a step yesterday and my low back is feeling it - it doesn't hurt but it's tight today. So are my hams from GM's and pullthrough's.

It occured to me that I never pulled 365 for either 5 reps or 5 sets - I hit this weight in my 3 x 3 phase I think and then beyond that I only did 1rep warmups here on my way up. So considering that I'm pretty encouraged by the 5 reps off a step.

As far as stretching, I've been foam rolling and active stretching before my workouts, but need to be more diligent about after...by that time I'm ready to go home, though.

Jim Ouini said:
Sorry bout the MP3 player. Hope it wasn't an expensive iPod. I've never lifted with music, seems kinda distracting. On the other hand, I think it's an open invite for people to come up and chit-chat. As well as having to listen to that heinous gym music that makes me want to bust out the white guy shuffle.

I too did 365 for 1 x 5 off a step yesterday and my low back is feeling it - it doesn't hurt but it's tight today. So are my hams from GM's and pullthrough's.

It occured to me that I never pulled 365 for either 5 reps or 5 sets - I hit this weight in my 3 x 3 phase I think and then beyond that I only did 1rep warmups here on my way up. So considering that I'm pretty encouraged by the 5 reps off a step.

As far as stretching, I've been foam rolling and active stretching before my workouts, but need to be more diligent about after...by that time I'm ready to go home, though.
The music puts me in my own world. No one talks to me with it on. Plus it's crazy, fast stuff like Pantera and System of a Down so it's appropriate for attempting the heavy stuff. It was BRUTAL to hear Britney and other inknown garbage while trying to zone out before each set. I become much more self-conscious when I can hear the world around me. I didn't realize how friggin' LOUD it is when I touch down with my working weight.

I sure hope the elevated deadlifting pays off for us- I've certainly gotten a ton stronger since first doing these. The intensity phase will be telling. Stay tuned...

Also, for now I plan to do a 3x/week schedule for the intensity phase like MC's 5x5 variant:

M- pause squats 3x3, bench1x3, gm1x3
W- elevated dl's3x3, p-p 3x3, powershrugs (probably 5x5, maybe even 3x8 to preserve low back as I plan to get as heavy as possible on GMs)
F- squat 1x3, bench3x3, gm 3x3

I wonder though if I would be better served (in terms of dl improvement) by making the pause squats 1x3 and switch standard atf's to 3x3?

mekannik said:
Russian Deads are where it is at for powerlifting or strongman. As a rule I generally try to stay away from lifting aids (straps, belts, shirts, etc). But I would consider utilizing a belt if you regularly use on during your main lifts. Just another tool to help focus your attention on using your abdominals.
I try to stay away from the belt except for pr attempts or if I'm feeling a little tender. I used it for push press after my rough dl session yesterday and I see what you mean about focusing on abdominals with it- I had no need for ab work after heavy belted push presses!

I'm not sure how much the type of belt matters but all I have is a rather flimsy valeo, not a big 'ol PL-type leather belt.

Guinness5.0 said:
The music puts me in my own world. No one talks to me with it on. Plus it's crazy, fast stuff like Pantera and System of a Down so it's appropriate for attempting the heavy stuff. It was BRUTAL to hear Britney and other inknown garbage while trying to zone out before each set. I become much more self-conscious when I can hear the world around me. I didn't realize how friggin' LOUD it is when I touch down with my working weight.

I like being loud :p Like when I do reps and I do my controlled drop I like hearing the 'clank'...'clank'...'clank'... ;)

Guinness5.0 said:
I sure hope the elevation pays off for us- I've certainly gotten a ton stronger since first doing these. The intensity phase will be telling. Stay tuned...

I was just thinking that today while driving home from the mall...'Lifting off the step HAS to pay off' lol

Next step is deciding how to proceed after one more week of loading...I think I may do a 5 x 5 esque deload/intensity or just dropping all the assistance for a week and then going for some maxes. I've been pulling conventional the whole time and I wonder if I go back to my sumo stance for my max attempts how it'll go...Anyway, fun stuff messing around trying new things :)

Note: at the mall I stopped by a fitness place to look at some wrist wraps and the guy starts conversing with me and observes that my 'upper pecs need some work' Gee thanks pal!

Jim Ouini said:
I like being loud

Don't get me wrong- the noise was gratifying to be sure, but I don't like to draw attention to myself.
Jim Ouini said:
Note: at the mall I stopped by a fitness place to look at some wrist wraps and the guy starts conversing with me and observes that my 'upper pecs need some work' Gee thanks pal!
That raises an interesting point. I've found that symetry (sp) has not been hurt in the slightest since training in this manner- if anything it's improved. My rear delts in particular are much larger, no doubt from the heavy rowing. Also, my legs have always been a strong point but my hams are huge now, as well as my inner thighs. I think it's owed to full squats and more emphasis on pulling from the floor. Also, my pecs seem about the same in terms of balance top to bottom, but bigger overall.

Gotta love unsolicited advice/criticism :rolleyes:

Top Bottom