Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it possible to bench press 405 at 170lb naturally???

When I was a junior in high school I benched 415 lbs and I weighed 168 with 3.9% body fatand a 28" waist. I ate 5 meals a day and an 1100 calorie weight gainer. I would start out stretching and then pyramid up in weights on the flat bench up to my max. Usually I would start out at 225, do that as many times as I could plus 2 times assisted, 265, 285, do that the same way. Anything over 315 I would never do assisted (too risky) but I would that usually 3 times then 345 twice, 365 once, and see how I felt from there. Most of the time though, I would do 385, sometimes 395, and always 405. I was only able to get to 415 once ever. I always meditated and stretched between sets trying to concentrate on slowing my breathing and getting very calm. When maxing, I would go from extreme calm to extreme anger in an instant, creating an explosion of energy. After the flat bench, I would do incline bench with 75 lb dumbbells (because that was the biggest they had), 4 sets of 12. Then decline bench with 75s, 4 sets of 12. Then flys, 4 sets of as many as I could with 45s. That built my chest up in all directions (that was the objective anyways). I then did extra workouts for my triceps, because my way of thinking is that the chest would keep up with the triceps better than the other way around. I french pressed with a preacher bar, 4 sets of 12 with 95 lbs. Then tricep extensions, 4 sets of as many times as I could with a 50 lb dumbell. Then dips with a 35 lb dumbbell (cross my feet and put dumbbell there) 4 sets of as many times as I could. I did other exercises also, but those were the ones geared toward my bench max. I always had a spotter and on the flat bench I ALWAYS had 3 spotters.

Sure it's totally possible, but it's also genetic. For the vast majority of people, it wouldn't be possible. But some people are able to do it.

It's kind of like... who has a stronger grip, a 250 pound powerlifter, or an 80 pound Orangutan? Well it's not that extreme, but you get the idea.

Saw a farm boy bench 500 and he was maybe 190. He was working out with the local high school weight lifting coach and according to weight lifting coach he was straight up a natural. 3 months of lifting under his belt and that was it. Coach wanted to see what exactly he could do. Strangely he didn't do any other lift well. Just benched big weight.

Saw a farm boy bench 500 and he was maybe 190. He was working out with the local high school weight lifting coach and according to weight lifting coach he was straight up a natural. 3 months of lifting under his belt and that was it. Coach wanted to see what exactly he could do. Strangely he didn't do any other lift well. Just benched big weight.

Like I said, genetic quirk. It's not surprising to me that his other lifts weren't great. Its not so much that he is genetically strong, but that he has some muscle form which makes that one lift strong. My bet would be that if he wants to advance much in bench, beyond his genetic gift, that he would need to build up all his other muscle groups first. But will he have the patience? Or did he, I should ask? I guess we may never know. Someone like that could go a long way if they had the patience to pay their dues, but lack of patience and more importantly ego can quickly destroy that.

Yes it's possible. If you train chest 3 times a week eventually you'll get there, but you have to know what you're doing.

Top Bottom