Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is form overated???

I would consider myself to have great form. People that are in the gym doing stupid things just look like jackasses - there's no getting around it. One time I noticed this guy dancing, I was like wtf? turns out he was doing standing dumbbell curls.

That example is certainly different than Ronnie Coleman using momentum though. I am sure his motions are controlled throughout his lifts.

crew9 said:

I don't want to come off wrong here so I'll tread lightly. Perhaps this feeling that form is overrated is the reason why your back isn't healing. I know you like to go heavy on deads and form is absolutely critical on a lift like deads. Here you sit with a nagging back injury. Perhaps it's time you rethink your approach on form?

I agree with you about form being very important in deadlifts. When mentioning my injury I attributed it mostly to bad form. My form got sloppy on a deadlift with the bar behind the legs with 600lbs. This lift is awkward as is, and its sometimes hard to know exactly what form to use. I was in a bad position and I tried to fight it. I definately make an exception for deads. But I dont think form is near as important as its made out to be by many. Form was very important for me in the beginning of my training, but as Ive advanced I feel "cheating" can be beneficial at times. Ive seen some beginners cheat every rep of every movement, and I by no means advocate this. In 9 years of training Ive never injured myself on any other cheat, or semi cheated movements, other then those beast lifts in december. When doing barbell curls for example, I feel those few extra cheated reps really help exhaust the biceps for that set, or even all out cheat curls are a great exercise to throw into a routine. I also have done slightly bentover rows with some jerky form and felt them nice. I definately think it has its place, but shouldnt be the only way of training.

For me form is crucial. Form is everything. The only exception for me would be a little swing towards the end of a set of curls and a little push or jerk towards the end of a set of MP`s. I like to call it strategic cheating.

I feel as long as youve got your mind-muscle thing going and you can "feel" what muscle you are working, then you can sacrifice some form to an extent.
Most of the pros have worked so many years, they know how to work each muscle properly even if sloppy.

Let me revise my perspective:

Cheating can be safe. But it's impossible to know which degree of cheating you can do before it starts to become dangerous. So I'd say stick to perfect form just because it's the only way you can be 99% sure you won't injure yourself.

Tom Treutlein said:
Nice name, Dave.

Beast man, what's the point of a "beast lift"?

Works most of the same muscles of a deadlift but without the knees in the way. Able to move more weight. It can be dangerous though. As far as I could see, I pioneered the lift, cuz I saw illustrations of a hack squat that were nothing like the way I was doing the lift. I dont squat with the legs much at all, mostly lower back. So when exploring a new area theres always risks. Never saw anyone mess around with weights even remotely close to what I was using on that lift, or even try it for that matter. Im sure Ill still do them again when I recover. Ill just be smarter about my form.

Tom Treutlein said:
Nice name, Dave.

Beast man, what's the point of a "beast lift"?
he can outlift anyone at the "BEASSST LIIIFT" because no one else does it or knows how to:D

so in summary, bragging rights:)

yeah i saw some hack squat illustrations today and i thought about your "beast lift"

I have a better picture of it now that you cleared up the details (you use more back)

SublimeZM said:
he can outlift anyone at the "BEASSST LIIIFT" because no one else does it or knows how to:D

so in summary, bragging rights:)

ThanX brother!! Its pretty simple really. All I do is lift the bar off the floor to full extention, bar goes behind the legs. Not much else to it!

Top Bottom