Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Illuminati's Training Log

Illuminati

I have decided to start a training log on here to get some input on my training. I follow a WSB routine, but i have changed the days around to suit myself. I have also added a day to do some bi/calf work (im still part BBer) and a day to do some extra back work. I lift raw on bench days, b/c i do not own a shirt (i plan on ordering one sometime soon.)

Sat 21Aug04 ME Squat/Deadlift

15" Box Squats W/Light Bands (jumpstretch purples)
225x3 275x3 315x3 345x3 <--PR

Regular Squats
315x3 345x1 365x1 405x1 425xF <--got buried in the hole

Standing Good Mornings
135x5 185x5 225x3 250x3 <--PR

Stiff Leg Deads
225x8 275x5 315x3 350x3 <--PR I use an over had grip, used straps

Leg Ext
150x12 180x10 210x10 255x6

I know leg ext are not part of a PL routine, but i like to do them every once in a while.

Squats are by far my weakest lift, i always get buried in the hole. i struggled for half a second with the 405 getting out of the hole, but once i got out, it flew up, so i tried 425. I got down with it, but it would budge...any suggestions? should i start using a lower box when i do box squats?

I'm curious, what kind of a stance do you use?

Your squats look good, maybe try a lower box to work on the hole problem.

for squats i use a fairly wide stance, feet almost touching the outside of power rack, with my toes pointed slightly outward.

Last edited:
hey, just my input.

i also max squat 405, i have gone up at least 15 / 20lbs ever 4 weeks or so on WSBB routine..

your GM's stand out at me..Right now I can do 335lbs x 1 on Gm's.. Your only doing 250lbs, seems a little light. Thought i dont think this would stop you in the hole, but you might want to consider it..

I set up the power rack safety bars so my squat will go down to 11"..On ME days ever few weeks I do extreme low squats.. This seemed to help me out of the hole for squats. It tends to work my quads and hams more when going real low.

I would say everything looks good, BUT you seem to be doing a heck of a lot in one workout....

Also, instead of the Leg Ext for quads, if you want to squat wide (PL style) you need to focus more on hams (preferrable GHR or Leg curls) - even without a GHR you can do them off the floor...

As far as your ME splits... Try one to two exercises MAX...

Here is basically what I do....
Maybe first week hit GMs (3RM), then RDL/SLDL (3RM)
Next week SQ heavy (3RM/1RM), then RDL/SLDL (1RM)
Next week GMs (1RM) only
Next week SQ OR DL (1RM) only (pick one, not BOTH-I usually alternate 4th weeks)

If you do GMs, do them first... SQ not more than 1/2 your sessions, and DL no more than 2 out of 10 sessions... GMs will give you most of you gains along with RDL/SLDLs... If you are doing your DE SQ workouts every week, you won't have to squat that much.... (I did not trust this at first either, but I am learning)

Also as I said, 2nd priority is Hams.... I try to vary what I do, some weeks GHR, some weeks leg curls, varying the reps, one week 3 reps, next week 1 reps, one week 5 reps...

Also, pullthroughs/reverse hypers (if available) if you have a 45 degree hyper that can work well too... I try to mix this up as well...

You should be hitting Abs heavy and often as well...

Most times your ME workout will be
ME movement (1 or 2 excercises)
Hams
Extensions/pullthoughs
Abs

That is it...

On DE sq day I hit only
DE squats
Extensions/pullthoughs
Abs

I hit calves for a couple sets and bis maybe for one excercise and a couple sets once a week as well, so no biggie there... just do them last and make sure not to tack too much extra time on your workouts....

sometimes I through in some platform jumps or something explosive... (only like 5-6 sets of 2), but that is beyond this basic template and for other goals that I have outside PL...

SQ box depth -

-if you use a suit, we are finding you don't have to go below parallel - the reason being that is where the suit kicks in...

-if you only go raw, I have found that you might have to go it without the box every once in a while to develop some resistance at the bottom end... (there is no suit to provide rebound or stop you like the box)... I would hit squats without a box 1/2 to 1/3 of the workouts if you want to compete (or only max) raw...

-we also have started varying box heights... one at parallel, and one higher box (2-3 inches above parallel) to build up "top end" - there is talk of doing more with this - kind of like "boards" for Squats...

Badboy...im still kind of new to doing standing GM. I was on an aircraft carrier (the boat would rock) so i used to do them seated on a bench when we were underway. but you are right, it is an area that i need to strengthen. i do plan on doing GM's as my ME lift this week. i will also start using a lower box if you think that will help out of the hole. ill have to build something...

Becoming...that is a lot of good info. i will have to read it over a few time to get it all. there is no GHR at the gym. so i can't do those. also, lift all raw now (i am planning on getting a bench shirt soon) and do not own a suit.
so you are saying that you dont have to squats as much because of all the squat work on DE days? do you think i should use more band resistance and less bar weight on DE days? i have the lights and averages. i use the lights now, with 225 bar weight.

Illuminati said:
there is no GHR at the gym. so i can't do those.
Put some towels/cushions under the tops of your shins (so your patella/tendon "floats" just above the ground)... pin your ankles under the safety bar in the lowest hole in the power rack (I do them this way in the gym without a GHR) or have someone hold your ankles...

This is very important - your hams will NEVER get this strong doing curls alone... My leg curl poundages went from what I thought were heavy weights (160-180lbs) to 250-275lbs for reps because of these in a very short time...

A word of warning - you will probably faceplant a lot when you first do them...

Illuminati said:
so you are saying that you dont have to squats as much because of all the squat work on DE days? do you think i should use more band resistance and less bar weight on DE days? i have the lights and averages. i use the lights now, with 225 bar weight.
Only use as much bar weight as is necessary... too many people use to much weight and as a result lift too SLOW on DE days... Eccentric do controlled-proper form... concentric (the way up) EXPLODE (but under control) total time to top should be equal to or less than 1second...
wave your weights (like in the WS template) on a 3 week basis... follow the percentages at first and then adjust the weights based on how you do... if you can still be quick - bump it up a LITTLE... if you are too slow - take it down a notch...

every once in a while hit some heavier weights with bands (but only like 1/4 of your DE workouts max)

Use bands according to your max -
Light - to 450lb
Average - 450-700lbs

I squat Heavy only 25-50% of my ME days now and it is working better...
The big dudes I lift with (SQ 750-900) spend 7-8/10 workouts doing some kind of GM variations-I think they probably have it right more than me...

Since you want to go raw tho - I would say keep 25-50% of your ME workouts some type of squatting heavy

Top Bottom