Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much soreness/pain is normal & healthy??

Gladiola

I have no problems with pain - really don't mind it much so long as I know that the pain is not indicative of a problem! I want to be lifting for at least the next 5, maybe 6 decades - so I do NOT want to be doing damage to joints now that will do serious harm in my future.

My hip flexors are almost eternally sore - lower back has been very sore for quite some time as well. It's been 2.5 months now since I went from doing legs 1X per week to 3X per week deep squats, + power cleans, sometimes RDL, power snatches, even push presses involve hips! When am I gonna get used to it?! Why am I not recovering?! :(

Here's what I'm doing - which isn't much more than before I started the OL (Olympic Lifting) workouts!!
Sun: every other week teach body pump (super hi-rep total body barbell class) + a moderate intensity, low impact step class. Alternate weeks varies.
Mon: OL workout
Tue: AM teach yoga (IMO, some active recovery), PM varies - maybe lift for biceps, abs
Wed: OL
Thur: teach hi-impact hi-lo (floor aerobics)
Fri: off or other lifting if not done Tue
Sat: OL

ack - why I am so darn sore ALL the time?! I take 5g of Glutamine on the days I lift - diet pretty good, lots of water, 7 hours sleep (not quite enough, but not too bad). what's the deal? Shouldn't I be worried about this?

Tee hee. Just kidding. :D

From what I understand about glutamine, you either need a shit-load of it (like 20-40g in divided doses over the day) in a hypocaloric state, or you don't need it at all (in a hypercaloric state).

You need to increase or decrease something. How're your fats? Is there any way to get more sleep? When was the last time you just took a whole week off (oh, wait, that was recently, wasn't it ??)

Thought about massage, acupuncture, hot baths?

Are you taking enough anti-oxidants? Vit C, E, selenium, etc?

Joint or muscle pain? My lower back kicked me in the butt a few weeks ago - my squat suddenly went down and lower back was just sore all the time - I realised it was because I'd just upped my cardio, and not only that, but my bike seat was too high. 1cm change has made all the difference ...

Then there's the whole active recovery thread ...

I feel for you - my back hurts like hell today - heavy SLDL's, ow.

AAS
----Team rules I have to train drug free, so it's not an option anyway. Oh, then there's the whole $$$

How're your fats?
--- Fine, I snack on nuts, plus olive oil on salads & PB with apples.

Is there any way to get more sleep?
---Actually I probably will start to get a little more soon - maybe that will help.

When was the last time you just took a whole week off
----Maybe 1.5 mos ago.

Thought about massage, acupuncture, hot baths?
---- :bawling: My coach & teammates go for deep tissue massage 1X per week, but at $70 an hour - I can't afford it right now - especially since I just spent $640 on a new fuel pump (+ labor, towing) for my only 3-year old car!

Are you taking enough anti-oxidants? Vit C, E, selenium, etc?
----Hmm, no - maybe I'll try that.

Joint or muscle pain?
---Mostly muscle.

Thanks

When I got overtrained doing tkd, I found that the cumulative effect of overtraining lasted for AGES after I stopped the behaviour that caused the overtraining syndrome in the first place. Mind you, that was after months of overdoing it - and it was cardio-endurance-aerobic stuff, not weights.

Maybe you have an accumulation of small tears in the muscle fibre from tearing it down too often and the effect of it not quite recovering lots of times is now setting in, and it's not the last few days' activities that are causing the soreness?

I am a newbie to weights, so I'm not sure if the same applies as in the aerobic case. I know runners/martial artists can take a long time to recover from overtraining, but it's a different kind of strain (phenomenal quantities of lactic acid etc).

spatts said:
You know what I'm going to say. :)
:confused: you mean, "AR!" ??
As of now, I consider the yoga AR, also the cardio somewhat since it DOES get the blood flowing to the muscles. Otherwise I do a few sets of light squats & cleans here & there on non-OL training days. Mentioned to my coach this AM that my hip flexors are always sore & he got a concerned look on his face, but that was that. My teammate says, "not to worry, now you feel like a lifter."

I'm not that concerned that I"m tired & sore, I would only be concerned if this were indicative of a problem, rather than me just adjusting to the intensity.

BTW, lactic acid is gone from the system within, I think it's 24 hours post-w/o. It simply does not hang out for long periods of time.

Top Bottom