Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many reps with max weight - pleasy clarify to me

Gamershellboy6

I have got into an argument with my trainer, because I dont believe he is right in what has to do with the reps you need to do with max load. How many reps do you think are effective for good muscle growth? Need I take as much as I can lift twice, or six times?

Generally speaking, anything lower then 5 reps is primarily training the central nervous system and more beneficial for powerlifting then causing a hypertrophy response (building muscle).

For the purposes of getting stronger - training in the rep range of 3-6 is ideal.

For the purposes of building muscle - training in the rep range of 5-20 is ideal, with the occasional set of 30, 40, or even 50 reps.

Remember that your muscle fibres are comprised of fast twitch type a, fast twitch type b and slow twitch muscle fibres. In order to effectively train (and grow) all 3, you need to train with higher rep ranges. Heavy weights will only train your fast twice muscle fibres.

Usually, I will try to implement all ranges of reps, because all them have certain benefits to offer, and there is no single best rep range. Try doing different reps with different weights on a regular basis, and as @muskate has well said, you will train all types of muscles, which will lead to both muscle growth, and strength increase.

Top Bottom