Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many of you ladies...

Shak

consume a protein + dextrose shake after working out at the gym?

If not, what do you have?

I eat complex carb meal about an hour or so before working out. Usually rye bread, ramen noodles, or rice for about 45-60 carbs. Then about an hour to 1 1/2 hours after the workout I eat a lean protein meal like chicken, tuna, or egg whites. The carbs are still on my stomach though so I dont risk converting the protein for energy.

BTW I developed this eating style because I workout in the evenings now, maybe 3 hours before bedtime, and when I ate the carbs and the protein after the workout (very close to bedtime) I started to pork up a bit.

that's the same schedule i'm on - evening workout and later dinner.

i consume a protein shake + carbs prior to my workout and a protein shake post workout followed by a meal about 1 1/2 later. i have never added dextrose to my post-workout shake, but so many people on the training board recommend this....

Post Weights - 2 scoop protein, 1 HYUGE scoop GPlenish
Post Sprint/Intervals/Plyos - same as after weights

Post Cardio - 1 scoop protein, 1 HYUGE scoop Gplenish OR a food meal (depending on schedule)

anya said:
Seems like detrose would be a better choice for a pre-workout meal. Why afterward?
Insulin spike to replace your glycogen stores. As soon as you are done working out, (And sometimes during) your cortisol levels begin to rise, and you'll wind up eating away at your muscle.

I alway have a shake post workout. But instead of adding dextrose with water for the shake. I have a shake using 1% milk, which has 12g of sugar per cup. I'm hoping this will have the same effect.

I don't think lactose works like dextrose. Also 1% milk, as most products with lactose, contains fat, and fat will decrease the insulin spike, thus defeating the purpose.

Caveat: If it works for you...

Top Bottom